• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psuMickey

Mar 19, 2018
    So if the cal is 300 AAC Blk do you still need to abide by this rule right?

If this is a semi-automatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine, does it have any two of the following: a folding stock; a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or a flash suppressor; If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

also assume folding stock doesnt include collapsible ?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

If this is a semi-automatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine,

If the rifle fits this description then the below applies.

does it have any two of the following: a folding stock; a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or a flash suppressor; If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

Correct, collapsible stock does not equal folding stock.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    [/color]

If the rifle fits this description then the below applies.

Correct, collapsible stock does not equal folding stock.

Adjustable stock. Collapsible stocks cause murder death kills John Spartan.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Hello I am new to Maryland and trying to make sense of these confusing laws! I was searching the banned list and to me it seems ARs in 300aac caliber are not banned? This makes no sense. I am building my first AR and already ordered an Anderson lower. I will be purchasing my upper as a kit from PSA and then a heavy barrel from wherever I can find one in stock.

Just build it compliant to MD laws and you’ll be fine.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Since the AR15 is specifically and ONLY chambered in 5.56/.223, this is the only configuration that falls under ridiculous MD laws.

If you are trying to "make sense" out of any of these laws, but especially the one pertaining to AR15's, it's a lost cause.

"AR pattern" rifles, however, are perfectly legal in any other caliber, because they are in fact not AR15's.

In order to qualify as an AR15, it has to specifically be an AR15, which also means it must have completely interchangeable parts. This is why piston driven AR pattern rifles in 5.56 are perfectly kosher in MD, because they, a) are not AR15's, and b)do not have fully interchangeable parts with an AR15.

Building a MD compliant AR pattern rifle in 5.56 is not difficult, however, it limits our options in terms of complete rifles, complete uppers, and barrel selection.

For a 300blk or any other caliber, buy whatever upper or barrel you want. But for it to be considered rifle, your barrel must be 16 inches in length. If you want to go shorter, you can either build it as a pistol with an arm brace or pay $200 to register it with the ATF as a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR), but if an SBR, it must be at least 29 inches in overall length, so a 10.5in barrel is the min length that will get you there with a standard stock fully extended.

If you want to go the more standard route with an 8 inch or so 300blk barrel, you will need to build it as a pistol.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

If this is a semi-automatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine, does it have any two of the following: a folding stock; a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or a flash suppressor; If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

Folding stock does not equal collapsible. However, according to MD, a folding stock will change the overall length (OAL) of the firearm, and now must be measured with the stock folded.

This matters to folks that want to build an SBR while satisfying the MD requirement for 29 inches OAL.

If you want a folding stock on your rifle with a 16inch barrel, you absolutely can, however, you cannot also have a flash hider.

You can have a muzzle brake, though, but I would make sure that the brake can be in no way confused or interpreted to be a flash hider. Silencers would also be a no-go because they are considered flash hiders.

Now, for AR pistol configurations, you can put folders on them without any issue.

psuMickey

Mar 19, 2018
    Folding stock does not equal collapsible. However, according to MD, a folding stock will change the overall length (OAL) of the firearm, and now must be measured with the stock folded.

This matters to folks that want to build an SBR while satisfying the MD requirement for 29 inches OAL.

If you want a folding stock on your rifle with a 16inch barrel, you absolutely can, however, you cannot also have a flash hider.

You can have a muzzle brake, though, but I would make sure that the brake can be in no way confused or interpreted to be a flash hider. Silencers would also be a no-go because they are considered flash hiders.

Now, for AR pistol configurations, you can put folders on them without any issue.

Ok, sounds easy enough.

So if I were interested in a 300 Blk rifle with a

a. flash hider and 30 round mag. I can purchase it but not allowed to have the mag?

b. flash hider and foldable stock. Can i have the flash hider replace with a muzzle brake at the store and then purchase it? or does the guideline apply to the original condition (advertise spec)?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Ok, sounds easy enough.

So if I were interested in a 300 Blk rifle with a

a. flash hider and 30 round mag. I can purchase it but not allowed to have the mag?

The magazine is not one of the evil features, so the above is OK.

b. flash hider and foldable stock. Can i have the flash hider replace with a muzzle brake at the store and then purchase it? or does the guideline apply to the original condition (advertise spec)?

Replace the flash hider with a muzzle break and keeping the foldable stock is perfectly legal. The evil features test applies to any rifle that takes a centerfire rifle caliber and takes detachable magazine. It does not matter what the advertised spec is, you can't buy a firearm that is in spec and then change it, to have two of the evil features, you would have just created a copy of a banned firearm.

psuMickey

Mar 19, 2018
    The magazine is not one of the evil features, so the above is OK.

Replace the flash hider with a muzzle break and keeping the foldable stock is perfectly legal. The evil features test applies to any rifle that takes a centerfire rifle caliber and takes detachable magazine. It does not matter what the advertised spec is, you can't buy a firearm that is in spec and then change it, to have two of the evil features, you would have just created a copy of a banned firearm.

ok, thanks. One more question. If its a 300 blk rifle (16 in barrel) and meets the criteria of having only one (foldable stock, grenade launcher - whatever, or flash hider) do I still need to ensure its not on banned list here

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

Car

Apr 3, 2020
    Also, it is not clear what MD calls a “flash suppressor”. Silencers? Do they mean anything altering the bang sound?

Looks like flash hiders, muzzle brakes, compensators are not in the same category. Then why do they call silencers a “flash suppressor”? How reducing a flash is an evil feature?

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I'm so glad I understand marlandistan's screwed up laws and don't have to rely on others giving me inaccurate information...………...

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    ok, thanks. One more question. If its a 300 blk rifle (16 in barrel) and meets the criteria of having only one (foldable stock, grenade launcher - whatever, or flash hider) do I still need to ensure its not on banned list here

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

I hate the list and you know why??? Because other than the items that are named by state statute, tht are on the list, the rest are on the list at the opinion of MSP, and carries no force of law, unlike the handgun roster that is enshrined in state statute.

Now that that rant is out of the way, unfortunately yes, you can't have anything on that list if it is listed specifically as .300 BO on the list.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Heheheheheh

Any AR OTHER than 5.56/.223 is GTG with any barrel profile. If it is 5.56/223 it MUST have a heavy profile barrel. Unless it is a pistol.

The reason is the magic that exists in the 5.56/.223 round. The heavy profile barrel slows the projectile down so it is not harmful to puppies. In any other barrel profile, the speed of the projectile approaches 186,000 miles/second. It is also able to go around bends and can be fired accurately from the hip. No other caliber can do this.

Make sense now?

Awesome. Saving this. Lolol

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Also, it is not clear what MD calls a “flash suppressor”. Silencers? Do they mean anything altering the bang sound?

Looks like flash hiders, muzzle brakes, compensators are not in the same category. Then why do they call silencers a “flash suppressor”? How reducing a flash is an evil feature?

Don't ask them to define it, you won't like the answer.

No "Silencers" are not considered flash suppressors, their primary purpose is to reduce sound, the secondary benefit is they reduce muzzle flash.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Folder

I know a clown that i consider a great friend that has a folder for his

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD

One oddity is the Bushmaster XM-15 300 blackout. MSP has decided to interpret the list that anything semi-auto from Bushmaster is No Bueno in Maryland. It is actually dictating a Bushmaster rifle manufactured by Gwinn firearms, but hey, why not completely eliminate all firearms from a company if you can.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No "Silencers" are not considered flash suppressors, their primary purpose is to reduce sound, the secondary benefit is they reduce muzzle flash.

Actually the criteria in MD is that if it reduces the flash, it IS a flash suppressor.

So yes, a suppressor IS a flash suppressor in MD.

So may a muzzle brake, if it "reduces" the flash. How to test? No one has ANY idea.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One oddity is the Bushmaster XM-15 300 blackout. MSP has decided to interpret the list that anything semi-auto from Bushmaster is No Bueno in Maryland. It is actually dictating a Bushmaster rifle manufactured by Gwinn firearms, but hey, why not completely eliminate all firearms from a company if you can.

Bushmaster (the current one) can go suck eggs.

They were contacted about fighting this, and they basically said the MD was not a big enough market for them to care about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom