• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mwzephi

Dec 28, 2018
    Anne Arundel
    I have pretty much only shot at On Target with my pistol and 9mm rifle. I want a change but am not sure what I want to try or do next. Any recommendations?

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    If you want to try something new, and only have those firearms, you can try shooting outdoors with the 9mm rifle. An outdoor range that is about 45 min from On Target is Hap Baker.

If you have a shotgun or are willing to rent, there are a couple of trap ranges in the area and some sporting clay ranges. If you are in Anne Arundel, maybe look at PG Trap and Skeet.

There are a lot of fun shooting sports and varieties, its all just what you want to make of it. Eventually, I would recommend looking for a steel shoot where you can shoot both of your guns as those competitions can be fun!

Mwzephi

Dec 28, 2018
    Anne Arundel
    Cool. I’ve talked to friends about skeet shooting. I have a 12G but literally fired it once and will admit I sucked. I am looking at buying something different, more long range but don’t want to break the bank. I have someone that’s offered to take me to their outdoor range to try competitive shooting so I am trying to make time for that.

Are there steel shoots in the area? Appreciate the advice. Gets boring shooting the same thing.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Cool. I’ve talked to friends about skeet shooting. I have a 12G but literally fired it once and will admit I sucked. I am looking at buying something different, more long range but don’t want to break the bank. I have someone that’s offered to take me to their outdoor range to try competitive shooting so I am trying to make time for that.

Are there steel shoots in the area? Appreciate the advice. Gets boring shooting the same thing.
    PG Trap and Skeet used to have a really good Beginner shotgun class. Two night deal, they provided everything, very basic...types of guns, how they work, anatomy of a shotgun shell, basic handling skills, basic lead methods, basics of the shotgun games, and over the two nights you shot a box of shells, ten the first night on low 7 on the skeet field, then 15(3 per station) on the trap field the second night. Back in the day they ran it once a month. Been a long time since I was down there, so I would advise inquiring about it beforehand.

TIA - I used to teach it!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    this is the 2nd post i swear i made that isn't showing, who knows... in any event, look up 'steel challenge.' you can use your handgun or your PCC. not a whole lot of stage planning or movement or reloading on the clock. just shooting 5 pieces of steel as fast as you can. good practice for getting on target quickly. then after doing some of that, check out uspsa and idpa. again you can use your handgun or pcc for those games also. here you run around and shoot various targets.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Check out the AGC of Baltimore. Arlington Rifle and Pistol club is holding a steel plate pistol shoot Saturday and it’s free for members/guests.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Many competition shoots are open to everyone, not just club members and guests.

Feb 28, 2013

Gitcherself a thrower and shoot a little of yer own personal trap backyard style up at Elk Neck. Nobody around to make jokes behind yer back if’n ya can’t hit nuffin. :)

Besides, they all break when they hit the ground anyway. :innocent0

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Tha AGC has public trap (weds. Evening) and public bullseye( tuesdays) on a weekly basis, it requires a fee which is likely cheaper than an hour at OnTarget. Its also helpful to have a freind whos a member to show you the ropes but its not required.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I want a change but am not sure what I want to try or do next. Any recommendations?

I know further up you mentioned shooting with a 12ga only once. My suggestion is giving PG trap and skeet a try. They rent rather nice shotguns at a reasonable price (Beretta auto loaders and O/Us) and they have quite a variety of games to play. Everything from run of the mill American Trap and Skeet to Wobble Trap, Bunker Trap, 5-Stand, and the most fun of all: Sporting Clays.

If you want a fun challenge, sporting clays is where it's at. Moving targets, varied terrain, multiple (over 30 IIRC) stations and a multitude of presentations. The only thing more fun is actually hunting upland birds, ducks, geese, or rabbits.

hollyb1

Oct 11, 2012
    Halethorpe
    Cresap in Frederick is open to the public on Sundays, $8 per shooter + $1 per target. We have a pistol range and a rifle range. Also consider the York IWLA fun shoot, a monthly steel target shoot that is very low key, focused on safety, no scoring or timer, just fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom