• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    Been years since I've been fishing. Camping at rocky gap soon. Will be fishing with my 6/10 year old. Looking for opinions on an easy set up to fish the lake. Live or lure they will be running basic zebco 33's.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I am by no means an expert. When I took the cub scouts fishing I picked up some wax worms and that round scented bait. Everyone caught something with a little of everything I had. Put on a weight and a bobber and you should be good to go. Grab a chair and relax on the edge of the lake or take out a canoe and you should have a really good time.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    I've fished that lake a ton...fish the inner/outter edges of the grass...Also on the camper side there is a rock point the water moves towards the overflow dam so fish the N/W side where the fish should be stacking up looking for there next meal. Since that lake is clear water.. and you can see down at least 20' remember they will spook easy if there is no wind blowing across the water... I always went with 4" worms Green/Redflake, 4" lizard same color and baby brush hogs same color and also bluegill color...use little to no weight.....#2 hooks and bury the hook into the plastic... weedless

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Live worms, hooks and bobbers. Low maintenance is key when fishing with multiple kids.

Also helps to get past worm aversion when you teach them to bait their own hooks and dog their own worms.

Also, dont expect to fish for hours on end, keep it fun! My oldest got burnt out on fishing and now has no interest....that sucks. He went with me yesterday for the first time in a couple years......he had fun!

Enjoy your time with them......they grow up so fast.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Bobbers are fine. Caught some two pound Bass just the other day using them with nightcrawlers. I got tired of losing tackle in all the underwater wood where I was at. Was impressive watching the Bass run with a bobber.
    My boy caught two Bluegill yesterday with bobber and worm. If going for panfish, use really small hooks and get the worm on there ultra secure as possible.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Kids+worms= bluegills that swallow the hook. I use snap swivels and snelled hooks.That way when one swallows the hook,all you do is open the swivel and remove fish with the hook still in it and release it.It will save a ton of time not having to dig hooks out of fish's gullets(which will kill the fish) and retying a hook every time one is swallowed.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Small hooks, a bobber and this...

3e2821ad-9089-421d-8a5a-b2bd7277aa25_1.7db8e1690d7f0661125e3b82e6bd1e02.jpeg

Works really well for bluegil.

I'm a big fan of fake bait and lures. Makes life so much easier when juggling kids.

My current go to lure

shadcranks.jpg

The middle one. I think it was $2.88 Walmart.
    Be warned, this isn't a friendly lure due to the 6 hook tips.

My next in line go to is

06177633-6a1a-42b5-bd2a-42308ee1d22f_1.756df7cf58cb483803c1d9ce7464bd93.jpeg

This has a single hook and works really well. I think a 4 pack is around $3. I like the middle size ones I believe they are around 3 inches.

Fishing with worms works well also. I like drop shot rigging them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/myster...aveling-the-mystery-of-the-drop-shot-rig/amp/

My kids love catching bluegil but they really like bigger bass.

I also recommend you take a smaller minnow net for trying to net some babies. My kids are always trying to get minnows, crayfish and turtles.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    My experience.

Stock trout = cheese

Bass = something wobbly usually silver

Pike = like BIG and wobbly

For fun,,, tiny sunny's take anything moving. Dangled many a tiny hook to watch the little palm sized fish visible near the shore hit and pull. Take the hook out and let them go.

Turn over some rocks. Crayfish are fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom