• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tundramuscle03

Beer Jockey
    Mar 19, 2007
    Dundalk Noob
    I would imagine most would need some time to prepare financially, but I'm willing to let almost anyone from the boards go down and hunt.

If you are serious about wanting a place to go in TX there is an open invitation. I do have some simple rules though.

Leave it like you found it.

Obey the game laws.

Respect the nearby landowners and their property.

It's real flat in some areas, knowing your backstop is extremely important.

I'll have to have some kind of waiver I guess and you'll need a written letter of permission to use the property.

I don't really think anyone here would violate the rules, but I just have to put that out there. If people can't follow them then my generosity will end.

If someone wants to put a texas trip together and we all go down to hunt I'm in. I know very little about it and will have to do some research.

Dude!!! You're Awesome!!! I'd love to come down there....

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I read an article about hunting and cooking Javalina. It was in one of the gun magazines only a few months ago. supposedly, they make for fine eating.

Justin thanks for the invitation. Looks beautiful down there. Maybe one day i'll take you up on it. How many acres?

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I read an article about hunting and cooking Javalina. It was in one of the gun magazines only a few months ago. supposedly, they make for fine eating.

It's not bad eating but IMHO it's not worth it. They stink to high heaven and if you don't know how to process them you ruin the meat.
    You need to skin and process them at once. If you cut a scent gland while skinning you have even more of a stinky mess. The hair is covered with scent so you can't touch the meat with the hand you hold the hide with. The backstraps are about the best part but it's just so much easier to go buy meat.

I would much rather shoot deer, pigs, turkey, or just about anything else you can think of. I think the general license lets you take like 5-6 of the Rio Grande turkey.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Look up "Big Bend Ranch State Park", and it's in the hollow area of privately owned land in the middle of the park.

It takes me 24 hours to drive to Dallas and I would imagine this is about 5 hours by car farther.

Are you in Terrell or Val Verde county?

STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    Can you pass the name of your realtor? Looks like San Antonio is closer. Wouldn't mind a decent spot of land with a home plopped in the middle of it, definitely need air conditioning!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Look up "Big Bend Ranch State Park", and it's in the hollow area of privately owned land in the middle of the park.

It takes me 24 hours to drive to Dallas and I would imagine this is about 5 hours by car farther.

yeah that is a long ways out...definitely have to take a few days to get there if driving! im looking within an hour from dallas...hopefully i find something decent...

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Justin,

I have a good friend in DFW who said he would be more than happy to let us use his firearms and meet us there (he's 7hrs away) so we don't have to travel with ours.... This is looking promising.... I'd really like to go on a trip like this....

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Are you in Terrell or Val Verde county?

Actually it's Brewster County, there are some properties available in Terrell though (I looked there too).

Can you pass the name of your realtor? Looks like San Antonio is closer. Wouldn't mind a decent spot of land with a home plopped in the middle of it, definitely need air conditioning!

Yeah I was dealing with raw land folks and this is off the beaten path. I don't plan on making a home there, just a vacation and hunting spread.

This is who I ended up buying from http://www.classiccountryland.com/

www.landflip.com is a good resource too.

If we were going to drive (I personally won't fly) we could take turns and make it in a little over a day (and see a good bit of country) hunt 3 days and drive back. For those that want to fly you'd have even less time invested in getting there.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    You should have some hogs in that area....
    Kill as many as you can even if you can't use the meat.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    There are some mighty well spotted bobcats in TX too. Not worth alot on the fur market( 50.00?), but to have tanned or mounted, they are neat to look at. LOL you might also find one of those chupacabra hairless coyote things.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Just found a old license of mine.
    If any of you are wondering what your $315.00 TX Non-resident license will let you take.
    3 Rio Grande turkeys
    1 Eastern or Rio Grande turkey
    3 white tailed deer antler-less only
    2 white tailed deer buck, or antler-less
    1 mule deer buck or antler=less
    1 mule deer antler-less only

Bring a freezer truck...

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Just found a old license of mine.
    If any of you are wondering what your $315.00 TX Non-resident license will let you take.
    3 Rio Grande turkeys
    1 Eastern or Rio Grande turkey
    3 white tailed deer antler-less only
    2 white tailed deer buck, or antler-less
    1 mule deer buck or antler=less
    1 mule deer antler-less only

Bring a freezer truck...

have to be careful...depends what county you are in....the numbers change some are restricted from taking any deer..

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Really???
    I generally get my license at the Walmart in San Angelo (Tom Green County) but hunt Crockett as well as Val Verde and Terrell.
    Haven't heard that before...Are those 3 counties far from the counties you are referring to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom