• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OP, Congrats :thumbsup:

That's illegal, believe it or not.

Page 21 of the 2018-19 Maryland Hunting and trapping guide.

Incorrect assumption. This only refers to handguns employed as protection from bears. Nothing more.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Took my 15 yr old grand son out yesterday eve to hunt.His 8 yr old sister has been asking to tag along since last year.Since we would be hunting out of a blind ,I took her too.She has seen dead deer before,but I was unsure how she would handle watching everything involved if Tyler would happen to get one.

About an hour after getting settled in,we see a deer come out of the standing corn into the hay field.We could see it was a small buck.Of course we were disappointed but had plenty of time left . About 40 mins later,Tyler says he sees another deer in the brush,then I hear him say " damn it....another buck"...I chuckled and told him he will probably never say that again.

We watched the buck wander around for awhile then finally....two does come out of the corn into the field.Tyler takes aim,fires and the doe runs about 40 yrds and piles up.

Throughout all this,my grand daughter has been very calm and very involved.When we got up to the doe ,she did a little victory dance...lol

She watched us gut,skin and quarter the deer.She asked a bunch of questions and wanted to help anywhere she could.She wasnt afraid to get her hands dirty.

Yup....was a great day to be Pop Pop.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Took my 15 yr old grand son out yesterday eve to hunt.His 8 yr old sister has been asking to tag along since last year.Since we would be hunting out of a blind ,I took her too.She has seen dead deer before,but I was unsure how she would handle watching everything involved if Tyler would happen to get one.

About an hour after getting settled in,we see a deer come out of the standing corn into the hay field.We could see it was a small buck.Of course we were disappointed but had plenty of time left . About 40 mins later,Tyler says he sees another deer in the brush,then I hear him say " damn it....another buck"...I chuckled and told him he will probably never say that again.

We watched the buck wander around for awhile then finally....two does come out of the corn into the field.Tyler takes aim,fires and the doe runs about 40 yrds and piles up.

Throughout all this,my grand daughter has been very calm and very involved.When we got up to the doe ,she did a little victory dance...lol

She watched us gut,skin and quarter the deer.She asked a bunch of questions and wanted to help anywhere she could.She wasnt afraid to get her hands dirty.

It appears that Tyler's sister is well on her way to become a deer hunter :thumbsup:

Get them interested at an early age. It sticks with them for life.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    It appears that Tyler's sister is well on her way to become a deer hunter :thumbsup:

Get them interested at an early age. It sticks with them for life.

That wouldnt suprise me one bit.On the way home she asked me when can we go to the range and shoot? She has shot a BB gun and a 22 so far

Plus she loves deer tacos,burgers and of course jerky

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa

:thumbsup: it's great when the kids get into hunting also.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That wouldnt suprise me one bit.On the way home she asked me when can we go to the range and shoot? She has shot a BB gun and a 22 so far

Plus she loves deer tacos,burgers and of course jerky

Both my boys have been asking about hunting a lot more lately. My oldest is 10 and I dragged him along to sit in a ground blind late archery last year and saw a deer when walking out. Otherwise he showed no interest till our last range trip (I’ve been taking him ever 4 months since he was 8). Then all the questions about how he was allowed to and could he do it. My 8yr old has shown some interest and on our last trip same deal, relentless in asking about hunting and taking him back to the range. Hopefully I can get him out to the range Sunday. I won’t be able to get them their apprentice license for either this year. But I am hoping in the late season I can take both of them individually. I am thinking take them out late ML as I’ve got one of those weeks off. Maybe go early afternoon and sit for a few hours in a popup blind. See if we get lucky. Or over near me where it is archery only and do the same.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I had the hunting bug the first time my Dad let me tag along.Some times I could go and sometimes I couldnt.I am grateful for the times I did get to go.
    I know it can be a hassle and cut into your own hunting time,but I ask you all.....if the little ones show an interest...take them along as much as possible.Especially before the weather turns cold.....then it really is a hassle

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    LYeah this year is just borked up. I got lucky/good and got a nice 5 point evening of the first day of early ML. Which was good, because I hiked my feet off plus hurt myself at the end (sliced my finger bad). I was going to go out the next day, but too sore and I knew I’d hurt my finger worse. Otherwise I probably would have seen if my oldest wanted to go and just go out a couple of hours.

Next time I am hunting they’ll be in school that day for an afternoon/evening during the rut. And then it’ll be two trips for the last couple of days of early gun season and end of gun season. Not old enough/patient enough for two full days in the field. Late ML if I go it’ll probably be about them if I go. Unless I’ve struck out during the rut and early gun season. Then I might try to work an extra full day of hunting or two during late ML.

Last year I was working on an addition on my house. This year I am helping my brother-in-law with similar levels of work on a house he is trying to flip. So that is taking up most of my weekends. Basically my wife let me carve out early ML, end of early gun and end of late gun.

shooterhyde

Sep 9, 2013
    put this 9pt down the other night in Baltimore country

IMG_3388_zpsrrtpfmao.jpg

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    This morning was the first morning I've been out this year. 45 min after light this little 8 walked in.

Attachments

• 44795401_2185472941486735_5300230148547674112_n.jpg
      44795401_2185472941486735_5300230148547674112_n.jpg
      156.3 KB · Views: 336

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hope you didnt think I was trying to single you out.I was referring to anyone who could.

Nah, not feeling singled out. Partly trying to convince others I’ve got it hard for time, but still trying to get my kids out. They can try too.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Nice work fellas! I was planning on being out this am, but rain killed that.

Same here. Sucks that muzzleloader is over. I let a doe walk on Thursday night. It popped out in the field about 200 yards from me and it was very dark. Between those two things and the fact that a house was behind her in the woods a bit, I didn’t risk wounding her or missing.

Guess I’ll have to wait for rifle.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Same here. Sucks that muzzleloader is over. I let a doe walk on Thursday night. It popped out in the field about 200 yards from me and it was very dark. Between those two things and the fact that a house was behind her in the woods a bit, I didn’t risk wounding her or missing.

Guess I’ll have to wait for rifle.

I should have called out yesterday. Seemed like a good am to be out.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve suddenly been seeing herds all over the place. I guess the cold weather has then moving. 11/13 I work from home and I will probably take the afternoon off to head over to Potapsco near me and hang my stand. Never hunted the rut or around the rut. Unless it is a good sized buck, I will probably let it walk. I am pretty happy with the 5-point I took last week. But I’ve got some plans for gun season on trips including Greenridge and since the bonus stamp isn’t good for region A...if I take a buck in archery, does only for green ridge.

But I won’t pass up a nice buck...just means I’ll cut my greenridge trip to 1 day instead of 2. It is going to take a big 6 or a little 8 or nicer to entice me (or any doe). Honestly I’d rather a little tasty deer to add to my freezer.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Rain is going to start tapering off early afternoon here in central Maryland. I may go out for a mid to late afternoon hunt with my crossbow. I keep thinking about that six pointer I saw last Wednesday morning.

I just hate tracking in the dark if that happens. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom