• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    back in october i got the cabela's pro series 12". used it to vac pac leftovers and split up costco purchases from time to time. also did a deer i butchered. no issues, at least so far.

the bags that came with it (say cabelas but a little different then their bulk rolls) worked perfectly. the cabelas vak pack bulk rolls i bought were a little wrinkled and just took a little extra work to straighten out. i complained to cabelas, really just asked them how to get the same roll that came with it, and they sent me another pack.

Javo-J10

Dec 26, 2016
    Hanover, PA
    After going through a few foodsavers over the years, I made the leap to a chamber sealer. The Vacmaster VP112s. Significantly more expensive, yes. But worth it in my opinion. Plus the ability to seal liquid food. Had for about 4 years now and still going strong.
    d82f55b9ee89a68b8ba34411fe9db949.jpg

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    I bought a foodsaver at Costco years ago. It finally broke but with Costco's lifetime guarantee, I just returned the old one a shiny new model.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Aldi was selling one a few weeks back. Some stores still have them. I think they are $34.99

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Ok, I about had this same model but I had the 4230. I have this question, HOW MUCH are you guys using these? I use mine a lot when I use it. I just made 14# of braunschweiger and I think all those logs were cut up into 18 separate small logs that all got sealed Wednesday and Thursday I made 18 hamburgers in the press and the unit failed to work. I literally fried something on the board.

The daughter and I kill multiple deer a year, then I process stuff and blogna and other things get seals later. 20# of hotdogs or sausages make s a lot of packages to seal. Plus I might raise 30 to 40 cornish cross chicken as a trial this year.

I doubt most of you are stressing your as I do. I went with the Cabelas for the Unlimited amount of sealing. I also stated in the beginning I need one with more heavy duty features.

fscwi, I was about to head back to that maybe with a little water in the bag. I did that for a while.

I have this one and Ive used it a lot! The only thing I had to do was open it up and put some lube on the microswitch that tells it the door is closed. It was sticking in the open position. Ive packed a bunch of fish and lots of deer, a couple elk, and some road kill moose. I cant even begin to count how many bags Ive got through. Its a quite a few years old now.

FSFSSL3230-015-3.jpg

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    That is cool. I have been using a Food Saver for years and I think the bags are way too expensive. I buy them a Sams

I buy the VacBags off Amazon. They don't fit in the top of the food saver but if you save empty rolls and 25' of the 50' on an empty they do. It's almost a 1/3 of the price compared to Foodsaver rolls.

I might buy from them directly now and get it in 100' roll boxes with the cutter on the box. This is $.20 a foot and the 3 16' x11" three rll packs of foodsavers are $.60 a foot

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Ok, I about had this same model but I had the 4230. I have this question, HOW MUCH are you guys using these? I use mine a lot when I use it. I just made 14# of braunschweiger and I think all those logs were cut up into 18 separate small logs that all got sealed Wednesday and Thursday I made 18 hamburgers in the press and the unit failed to work. I literally fried something on the board.

The daughter and I kill multiple deer a year, then I process stuff and blogna and other things get seals later. 20# of hotdogs or sausages make s a lot of packages to seal. Plus I might raise 30 to 40 cornish cross chicken as a trial this year.

I doubt most of you are stressing your as I do. I went with the Cabelas for the Unlimited amount of sealing. I also stated in the beginning I need one with more heavy duty features.

fscwi, I was about to head back to that maybe with a little water in the bag. I did that for a while.

I was in the same boat. Kill 6-10 deer a year plus fish and who knows what else through the year I ended up breaking one or more a year and finally just gave up. Went back to clong wrap and Ziploc freezer bags and never looked back. Also way faster overall. Buy the lunch lady sized cling wrap and have at it.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Food Savers Shrink Wrap

I use stretch wrap made by Berkley & Jensen sold at BJs. Professional grade, 3000 feet x 12'' wide. It comes in a self contained box with an easy cutter. It clings nicely, stretches for a tight fit. I double wrap everything with the second wrap stretched extra tight to squeeze out any air. I put the wrapped meat on a tray in the freezer till it freezes then store it in 2 gallon size zip lock freezer bags.

My venison will keep nicely for about 10 months to a year like this. I don't know if it'll last any longer because its all gone by next season. I butcher about 20 deer a year. I've been doing it this way for over 10 years and never had an issue. I was a meat cutter is the supermarket for over 30 years and worked as a meatpacker for another 10 years before that.

It seems everybody has problems with the vacuum sealers and if nothing else the bags and wrap are expensive. If the vacuum breaks the meat gets freezer burned quickly.

For long term storage use a regular chest freezer. Two compartment refrigerator freezers and self defrosting freezers are not good for long time storage because they warm up and go on defrost a few times or so a day or week. All the frigged air runs out of an upright every time you open the door.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

I Processed 7 deer and 2 elk this hunting season alone...I did have to take it apart and lube the door latch sensor that was it. Of course it wasnt all at one time but over the course of hunting season since Sept to Mid Dec I had our deer and neighbors/friends brought me a few and elk to process for them. Just this season alone. Ive done lots of fish also last year. I mostly did the backstraps and steaks/roasts in the vacuum sealer so I dont know how many I did but I know I went through a few of the regular rolls of bags.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

also you said it quit working? no lights or what?

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    The sealer stopped working and burnt out on the board. Food saver said it needs a 20 - 30 second rest between sealings or you can burn out the board just as I did. I had resistance on the sealer element and no voltage from the board to power it. Everything worked but the sealer bar, but without it, it is useless.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    The sealer stopped working and burnt out on the board. Food saver said it needs a 20 - 30 second rest between sealings or you can burn out the board just as I did. I had resistance on the sealer element and no voltage from the board to power it. Everything worked but the sealer bar, but without it, it is useless.
    Oh ok, I havent had any issues with that particular problem. I never timed it but I used it constantly for sealing up stuff for at least an hour each time.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I have a FoodSaver that I bought off an infomercial about 15 years ago and never had a problem with it. I just bought another one for a friend that I fish with and it turned out he got one before I received it. So far it is amazing and far better than the original as you would expect. I got this one that is normally $369 for $119!
    https://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-se...um-sealing-system/FSFSSL5860-DTC.html#start=6

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom