• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plainolme

Sep 16, 2010
    Severna Park, MD
    Specifically NEW Marlins. I want to hear from someone who has purchased a new Marlin in the last 12-18 and get their honest to god hands on evaluation of it.
    Yeah, I've heard of everything that's been put online post Freedom group acquisition and I know they were amazing before that. I am hearing they finally got it together and want to know if it's true. In particular I want to know about their .357 and .44mag offerings.

So do they finally have their skit together or is it all just smoke and mirrors?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Bought a 795 a couple years back..maybe three...don't recall. Very nice rifle, reliable, trigger is heavy but manageable. Reasonably accurate. Here is a 40 yard group, pretty typical, off bench, no bags.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      61.9 KB · Views: 879

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have 2 Remlins.
    XT22

XT22. Purchased 4 years ago
    Front sight on the XT22 was canted and had to push the rear sight over so much it was ugly. The threading on the barrel at the muzzle where it mounts was canted.
    Guess what, so were the others at the store. Saw someone post the same issue with one 1-2 years ago. Not big deal, put a BSA scope on it and its darn accurate w/ CCI Standard. Even more with Green Tag. 1/2" groups with green tag @ 50 yards. I like the adjustable trigger. Had no other issues w/ it. Being a bolt action, it shoots everything. Not sure about how they do the firing pin but sure seemed like it would have less misfires than any other 22 I have save the Ruger Single Six.

795 purchased 3 years ago
    At the time , you could not find a 10/22 anywhere locally and I was interested in sharing mags with the XT-22
    No issues on the sights, Shot it stock for several months. It ate just about everything. I put a scope on it and did some bench shooting comparing it to my friend's Ruger 10/22. Both the XT-22 and the 795 out shot the 10/22 for groups sizes w/ stock hardware. I put some tech sights on it and still shoot it off hand during the winter at the indoor range. After about 1000-1500 rounds, something was going on with the trigger. I forgot what it was but took the trigger assembly off and something was slipping sideways and I fixed it. Then put a better trigger on it and it had a crisper break. Not a big mod.

I also have a Ruger 10/22 with the sporter stock (like the carbine stock w/o the band so i could easily free float it). I then put a Kidd Trigger on it (before the Ruger drop in came). It helped with the groups some, but not the same as when I finally got a target barrel for it. If I had to do it all over again, I'd have gotten the 10/22 over the 795. Then again, Glad I have all 3!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have a 336Y that I bought for a truck gun. Its not bad but not great. Machining is rough the end of the trigger is a little sharp, sights were a little off center but its spring metal so hopefully I can knock em back a little.

Their 94 offerings being a higher line gun should be a little better finished. Saw some onsale for $550 on slick guns a while back, if it had been .357 I probably would have ordered one.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Am also very interested in the current
    state of their QA...especially for the
    .357 offering. The older pre-safety
    JM-stamped ones are out of sight
    expensive.

Last I read, a few months back, the
    new Marlin was not going to get that
    .357 line going for a while yet.

I have a Marlin Glenfield Model 30
    that my dad gave me for Christmas
    back in '68 - my first serious firearm.
    A beautiful gun with which
    I have spent many happy hours afield.
    I hope Marlin, in its new form, can
    measure up.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I've read from Winchester that the Marlin factory, when acquired, as pitifully inadequate in terms of both manufacturing and QA - don't know if that's true.

I would prefer the side ejection of the 336 instead of the top ejection of the model 94's - but I've owned neither so can't really say which would be better...

I do own a LTR 795 I bought a couple of years back. Still have the training certificate here in front of me. I shoot it to the right - probably me.

The rifle hasn't really seen much range time, but occasionally stove-pipes or fails to go bang. I haven't kept good records to know if its the ammo or the rifle...

Sirex