• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I have been gearing up for deer season with using the old deer meat up.

This weekend
    Lebanon Bologna
    Deer Dogs - awesome
    Beer Brats - I haven't tried them yet, but other that ate the fry test said it was great.

Also going to make some back straps tonight. Slice open and cover inside with dry rub, layer with ham and swiss cheese slices. Add some green pepper and rollup and pin with toothpicks. More rub all over the outside. Bake at 350 until 145° inside.

You all got any recipes to share?

Attachments

• IMG_1022 (Large).jpg
      IMG_1022 (Large).jpg
      91.5 KB · Views: 463
    • Bologna-deer1 (Large).jpg
      Bologna-deer1 (Large).jpg
      58.7 KB · Views: 468
    • IMG_1025 (Large).jpg
      IMG_1025 (Large).jpg
      56.2 KB · Views: 499
    • IMG_1023 (Large).jpg
      IMG_1023 (Large).jpg
      65.3 KB · Views: 519

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Pig roast, when is that? Probably way to far way from my western patch of dirt. Besides, who's going to drive me home after a few wobbly pops? :D

Shoot, I could hang half a pig in my smokehouse.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    So I needed to follow up on this thread to thank Archeryrob for yet another DIY project/hobby.

I busted out my xmas present a little early this past weekend: a Lem # 22 grinder. I picked up two 18 pound pork shoulders at $1.99/pound from Costco and got some casings and cure from Amazon. The grinder went through one pork shoulder (I'm saving the other for later) in about 2 minutes (basically as fast as I could feed it). I also pulled out my remaining venison from last year (shoulders and rib meat I had been saving to grind - about 5 pounds worth).

I stuffed two types of sausage:

1) all the venison mixed with about 2-3 pounds of pork, 4 shredded Idared apples that my kids hadn't gotten to, a pound of honey from my hives, and some cure #1, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cinnamon.

2) Pork with the same spices above and some hot pepper, but no apples or honey.

I ran out of casing so I have about 5-7 pounds of pork still to do. I stuffed right out of the grinder on the second grind, then all went into the smoker for about 10 hours of cold smoke.

Broiled about 6 of the venison sausages last night and they were delicious. Cold smoking is a bit new for me and seems a little bit dubious, but I guess the cure worked, because I'm not dead yet.

Stuffing right out of the grinder worked OK, but I have an old Enterprise 8 quart stuffer that I'll use next time. I didn't have a stuffing nut or tube for it, but got those on order and it will hopefully put use even more into production.

Now I just need more deer!

Many thanks to ArcheryRob for the inspiration!

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Not much more I can say about the recipe(s). I started with Rytek's Kutas' book and used the basic recipes on pages 169 (fresh pork sausage) and 171 (apple Cinamon sausage). I didn't have everything he called for so I used everything I had on the shelf that he called for.

So the basic seasoning between the two was

23 lbs meat (18 pork and 5 venison) (venison apple had 3 pounds pork)
    6 tsp Cure #1
    2/3 cup salt
    2.5 tbsp pepper
    2 tbsp nutmeg
    water to what seemed right.
    used 32 mm collagen casings.

For the all pork, I put 2-3 tbsp of red pepper in a coffee grinder, then mixed that in.

For the apple cinnamon, I shredded 4 large apples (yes, way more than he calls for for ~10 pounds), added 2 tbsp cinnamon, and poured in a pound of 'Lilisweet Honey'.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    The apple was good. Not as sweet as I was expecting given the amount of honey I dumped in. Lots of apple flavor. The apples added a lot of water to the mix so it was very easy to stuff.

My wife is looking forward to a spicy sausage, so jalapeno cheddar will be next.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I was going to add some mustard seed to mine but I didnt have any. It was a cabelas kit...cracked pepper and garlic. Mine was lean as It was just venison still came out good! these are smaller tubes 1.5"

Attachments

• 1215181455.jpg
      1215181455.jpg
      51.8 KB · Views: 131

DocMaryland

Dec 28, 2018
    Wow! This certainly looks quite delicious. However, the last year that I cooked deer meat, my younger son got a bad case of stomach flu. The doctor told it could get triggered by even the slightest of unhygienic handling of raw meat. So, I would suggest everybody in this group to maintain proper precaution while handling raw meat. Bacteria and virus invade every living organism - and when we consume meat , we are also consuming some disease-causing pathogens.
    . Be careful, since a common stomach flu can also be lethal for many!

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Thanks Doc, I cook sausages to 160+, Summer sausage to 145+ and hold extended time and roasts to 140 and wash my hands a lot. I never had any contamination issues yet, except when visiting restaurants.

I don't have raw and cooked food in the same area normally. I could have two batches of hot dogs, where they are all stuffed and half is in the smokehouse and half stuffed in the fridge waiting for the first batch to be done and the counter is cleaned and Clorox wiped. Cooked dogs hit the sink/counter and raw dogs straight outside to the smokehouse. I personally think keeping the raw from the cooked is most of the battle and cleaning between them.

Plus, I have a super attentive, overly hygienic wife to slap me when I vary. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom