• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 4, 2017
    Revised: FN FNX 40 Trouble

Hey All,

I took my fnx 40 to the range at Myrtle Grove this afternoon and ran into some trouble. First 4-5 mags went through without a hitch. Casual shooting, no rapid fire or extreme conditions (temp maybe hit 70?). Then the it would not fire almost every other round. I thought maybe I was "limp-wristing" it and tightened my grip. No dice. I considered maybe ammo did not give enough blow back to properly cock the hammer. I tried manually cycling the slide and cocking the hammer. Still temper-mental. Cycling the misfired round out I saw there was no impact on the primer at all. Looking at the slide I pressed on the back of the firing pin as far as it would go and it doesn't seem to be able to reach out the other end. I'm thinking a broken firing pin?

Also, the double-action is not working. When it was working "properly" beforehand, I had to manually cock the hammer.

Has anyone had similar problems (or solutions) similar to these with FN hammer fire pistols? Appreciate the help!

~Sledgehammer45

Last edited:

craftsman_69

MDS Supporter
    Jul 26, 2015
    AA
    Mine is still rock solid but when I bought it used I noticed the firing pin was not protruding proud as it should. I completely disassembled an found a ton of trash in the firing pin channel. Cleaning it corrected this. The safety lever removal was the hardest part.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Let me guess, you are using a high thumbs forward grip?

If you are riding the thumb safety, or if your thumb is slightly underneath it and nudging it up slightly, you are engaging the firing pin safety, which is touchy and activates much sooner than the trigger safety or decocker.

Try firing it while mindfully keeping your thumb away from the thumb safety. Bet your lack of primer strike goes away.

Pressing on the firing pin will not allow the pin to protrude, you have to depress the firing pin safety plunger before pushing on firing pin (similar to series 80 1911s). If you were getting a misfire every other round then the firing pin is probably fine. Bent and broken firing pins don't fix themselves

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    I’ve had a few that built up trash in the firing pin channel. Most times, brake cleaner sprayed thru it fixed it with out taking it apart

Oct 4, 2017
    Let me guess, you are using a high thumbs forward grip?

If you are riding the thumb safety, or if your thumb is slightly underneath it and nudging it up slightly, you are engaging the firing pin safety, which is touchy and activates much sooner than the trigger safety or decocker.

Try firing it while mindfully keeping your thumb away from the thumb safety. Bet your lack of primer strike goes away.

Pressing on the firing pin will not allow the pin to protrude, you have to depress the firing pin safety plunger before pushing on firing pin (similar to series 80 1911s). If you were getting a misfire every other round then the firing pin is probably fine. Bent and broken firing pins don't fix themselves

Makes sense. That is my standard grip style. I will have to test that out. Thanks

Oct 4, 2017
    I've disassembled and cleaned the firing pin channel. Have yet to test it out. Crossing fingers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom