• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Beating a dead horse, I'm sure. Everyone's scenario is different, so I'm looking for your opinions.

I'm a business owner, make regular check and some cash deposits. Nothing in my background to question. What are my odds? Would it help if I had a wear and carry class backing? Firearms training classes help?

I know this is all speculation and its case to case.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Thanks guys. Do you recommend a wear and carry course? I’m up to date on laws, but not all of the formalities that are involved, and I would assume that a course would help out.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Most people don't delay for too long, but remember that the course certification you're handed when you complete your 16 hours must be part of your W&C application within the year.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    My understanding, after consulting with CharlieFoxtrot for my own similar circumstances, is the critical component (aside from being a business owner) is going to be regularly documented cash deposits. Six + deposits over the course of two months should be enough to get you a restricted permit.

IANAL, just sharing what I was told by a reliable source.

Last edited:

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My understanding, after consulting with CharlieFoxtrot for my own similar circumstances, is the critical component (aside from being a business owner) is going to be regularly documented cash deposits. Six + deposits over the course of two months should be enough to get you a restricted permit.

I've never had to document cash deposits.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    During my just-completed process, I was told to provide documentation of walk-up bank transactions (in my case, almost universally ATM deposits) - as opposed to what are increasingly, for many businesses, electronic transactions. The trooper I spoke to during my face-to-face seemed relatively uninterested in the ratio of cash to checks, though we did discuss it and I told him that cash was at most 25% of those activities. I preserved ATM deposit receipts for a year, and provided a few pages of them photocopied along with my other records. This seemed to make everyone happy. They were far more interested in my demonstrating good standing on my LLCs, and providing excerpts from my most recent income tax filings to show that the business(es) were indeed the source of my income. I also cited the regular transport of valuable equipment, the routine display of company signage on my vehicle, and the fact that I'm on call 24x7.

My permit came back with the expected "while conducting business as," and I've requested an HPRB hearing out of concern for the capricious nature of how that restriction might be interpreted by the state's patchwork of agencies and individual officers. We'll see what happens.

bobwilley

MD Wear/Carry Permit G19
    Feb 4, 2018
    Delmarva Peninsula
    I took my training from Fortress Training by John Finnessy, he does them on western shore, & eastern shore (Eason/cambridge/salisbury)
    Took mine in Cambridge.
    They have a VIP available where they help with the entire process, including helping with your G&S
    I was approved first time.
    Got my W&C in October.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012

from what I gathered today, cash isn’t necessarily what they look for, just deposits overall.

During my just-completed process, I was told to provide documentation of walk-up bank transactions (in my case, almost universally ATM deposits) - as opposed to what are increasingly, for many businesses, electronic transactions. The trooper I spoke to during my face-to-face seemed relatively uninterested in the ratio of cash to checks, though we did discuss it and I told him that cash was at most 25% of those activities. I preserved ATM deposit receipts for a year, and provided a few pages of them photocopied along with my other records. This seemed to make everyone happy. They were far more interested in my demonstrating good standing on my LLCs, and providing excerpts from my most recent income tax filings to show that the business(es) were indeed the source of my income. I also cited the regular transport of valuable equipment, the routine display of company signage on my vehicle, and the fact that I'm on call 24x7.

My permit came back with the expected "while conducting business as," and I've requested an HPRB hearing out of concern for the capricious nature of how that restriction might be interpreted by the state's patchwork of agencies and individual officers. We'll see what happens.
    I have only been in business since the beginning of the new year. I am expecting to show proof of business insurance, proof of cpa dealings, bank transactions, and one specific contract that I have that stands out.

I took my training from Fortress Training by John Finnessy, he does them on western shore, & eastern shore (Eason/cambridge/salisbury)
    Took mine in Cambridge.
    They have a VIP available where they help with the entire process, including helping with your G&S
    I was approved first time.
    Got my W&C in October.
    Atlantic tactical helped a great deal today. Seems like there are lots of great options for wear and carry training.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Most people don't delay for too long, but remember that the course certification you're handed when you complete your 16 hours must be part of your W&C application within the year.

Maryland State law requires the training to have been taken withing the last two years of the application, not one year.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Maryland State law requires the training to have been taken withing the last two years of the application, not one year.

In classic MSP vagueness format, their web site (http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...singDivision/Training/WearandCarryPermit.aspx) says that SUBSEQUENT applications (say, for renewals) have to be supported by training within the last two years. Seeking to clarify this, I talked to the licensing people on the phone, and they (as well as my instructor) told me that the training certificate supporting the INITIAL application has to be dated within 12 months of the application date. And no, I can't find that in writing! But why take chances.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    In classic MSP vagueness format, their web site (http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...singDivision/Training/WearandCarryPermit.aspx) says that SUBSEQUENT applications (say, for renewals) have to be supported by training within the last two years. Seeking to clarify this, I talked to the licensing people on the phone, and they (as well as my instructor) told me that the training certificate supporting the INITIAL application has to be dated within 12 months of the application date. And no, I can't find that in writing! But why take chances.

I believe the law says 2 years. I was 6 months over a year after training before I submitted my application. Map is notorious about putting stuff on the website and claiming it is law.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016

Cash has nothing to do with it. As long as you are providing deposit slips for going into the bank is all that's required. I supplied 6 months worth and not a single deposit had cash. As explained to me by my interviewer, the bad guys don't know if you have cash or checks so Maryland views the deposit contents irrelevant.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Because it clearly states in Maryland state law (not an opinion by anyone) that it must be dated withing 2 years of the application. No vagueness at all when it is clearly written in law, and if your instructor doesn't know that, then perhaps you might want to look for a new instructor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom