I hope Dicks Sporting goods goes bankrupt!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • honukane

Aug 15, 2012
    Southern Maryland-istan
    Like many of our members, I have sent stack/dicks an e-mail note regarding their new/improved ANTI-AR posture, which has prompted my departure as a dicks customer... they can screw-off and die !
    They are not competitive with our local firearms retailers for price or inventory anyway. Let them survive on soccer moms.
    bye bye dicks

mickeyk9

Member Lives Matter
    Aug 18, 2011
    quantum spins
    I've purchased quite a bit from Dicks over the years.. probably to the tune of $10k total. Kids constantly needing sports equipment, gifts for extended family, etc.. I just called and cancelled my credit card and I withdrew from their rewards program as well. You reap what you sow.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Dicks CEO just announced no more "assault weapons", no standard capacity mags and no gun sales to anyone under 21 in Dicks and Field and Stream stores. I don't know what percentage of their sales are to gun owners and hunters but they sure are biting the hand that feeds them! I wont spend a dime there again.

That's disappointing. I was just looking at a Dick's flyer this morning and eyeing up a rifle I wanted to buy. I'll be tossing the flyer in the recycling and not giving that store a dime.

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    Done.

Just got back from my local Dick's store, used up what was left on a gift card and then told the store manager that despite having bought a lot at his store, I wouldn't be back. He handled the comments without any negativity and said he was keeping a count of how many had told him they would not be back so he can relay it to corporate.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'd boycott, but I haven't bought anything from Dick's in at least 5 years.

Their right to sell what they want...public's right to decide where they shop.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Not one more cent from my family. I will past along my decision to all relatives also. I wouldn't want to get a gift card I'd throw away.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    If you are a "sporting goods" retailer then alienate a portion of your prospective customer base, how does that make economic sense? Especially in this the time of internet shopping where any one can buy their needs anywhere and have it delivered to their door. Do they hate money? Do soccer moms really spend that much there?

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    Not one more cent from my family. I will past along my decision to all relatives also. I wouldn't want to get a gift card I'd throw away.

I won't shop there anymore with anything in my pocket but I think that if I got a gift card I would use it. Not using it is free money for them. I would not go over the total either. But I will encourage people not get one for me.

lawdogmd

Oct 18, 2013
    I have been a longtime Dick's customer. I bought new golf clubs last year, new punching bag and rack, shoes, sporting equipment for my kids, the occasional hunting or archery item BUT no more. I am well past 21 BUT this does clearly appear to me to be age discrimination.

Pursuant to State Government Article, §20-304, Annotated Code of Maryland, it is unlawful for an owner or operator of a place of public accommodation or an agent/employee of the owner or operator to refuse, withhold from, or deny to anyone the accommodations, advantages, facilities and privileges of a place of public accommodation because of race, sex, age, color, creed, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.

Given that public accomodation includes retail establishments and 18 years old may buy unregulated long guns in Maryland, this seems pretty clear cut. I think 18 or so states have bans on age discrimination so this is, in a very real way, the same as if Dick's decided not to sell guns to a specific race or religion. I also just do not believe civil rights only exist for those over the age of 21.

I already filled out a complaint through Dick's online ethics reporting tool claiming that this action could violate state anti-discrimination laws: dickssportinggoods.ethicspoint.com

I will also be sending a letter to President, CEO, and CFO of Dick's as well as to each of the largest institutional investors of Dick's. If this will drive down share price and value then the large guys may just care about their own pockets. The list of beneficial owners is available in Dick's proxy statements: http://investors.dicks.com/~/media/...ports/Annual Reports/2017-proxy-statement.pdf

Maybe they won't care but at the expense of a little time and a few stamps I'll reach out.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I think the most bothersome part is not that the changes they're making in their stores but that as a company they are actually lobbying the government for widespread gun control.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    28377918_1756037691125229_4635279721000854546_n.jpg

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I do not in any way agree with them on principle, BUT I can see where this could be a wise move from a business standpoint. DSG was never the first(or even 2nd or 3rd) choice for anyone like us, who disagree with what they've done.
    What they are trying to do is get a batter strong hold in the mark amongst consumers who DO agree with their ideology. And the fudds who will buy the guns that they continue to sell probably don't care anyway.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    I do not in any way agree with them on principle, BUT I can see where this could be a wise move from a business standpoint. DSG was never the first(or even 2nd or 3rd) choice for anyone like us, who disagree with what they've done.
    What they are trying to do is get a batter strong hold in the mark amongst consumers who DO agree with their ideology. And the fudds who will buy the guns that they continue to sell probably don't care anyway.

Agreed. Believe I've only bought targets and Hoppes #9 from them. Never a gun, magazine, ammo...

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Agreed. Believe I've only bought targets and Hoppes #9 from them. Never a gun, magazine, ammo...

I have bought ammo there before. But 99% of my DSG purchases were baseball or soccer related.

It's possibly a last ditch effort/scheme to their potentially having the same fate as sports authority and gander mountain.

Mr H

Banana'd
    They had a weak spine in 2013 as well. Haven't bought anything from then since then.

If I heard correctly (and apologies if it's been mentioned--I just got in)...

Dick's other brands (Field & Stream, IIRC, and maybe others?) are not part of this order.

Personally, I stopped spending money with them around 2011, when they insisted on checking DOB for buying a rifle SLING!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom