• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Discontinuing Printing of Handgun Qualification License Cards
    The Maryland Department of State Police, Licensing Division (MDSPLD) is constantly reviewing policy and procedures in order to enhance the experience of our customers, allied agencies, firearms instructors and dealers, all while being as fiscally responsible to the citizens of Maryland as possible. With this in mind, beginning October 1, 2020, the MDSPLD will discontinue printing Handgun Qualification License (HQL) Cards in their current form.

All HQL applicants approved for an HQL, on or after October 1, 2020, will receive, via US mail, a paper HQL, similar to the example below. This paper license, or an electronic copy of the license, must be presented to a dealer or any other person, prior to selling, renting, or transferring a handgun, in accordance with MD Public Safety §5-117.1 and COMAR 29.03.01.06. The discontinuation of printing of the HQL cards will expedite the final process of the HQL and ultimately decrease the time it takes for the applicant to receive their HQL.

Qualified Handgun Instructors (QHI) are also reminded that the individual student/applicant’s HQL account must be associated with the individual student/applicant’s personal email address.

Attachments

• LD-HQL-20-003%20%20Discontinuing%20Printing%20of%20HQL%20Cards.pdf
      119.6 KB · Views: 525

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    I sure hope they lower the cost to get a card, less material and work involved should lower the costs. Seems this might be good ammunition to use in the HQL fight by MSI

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I thought they removed the requirement for an HQL to rent a handgun. If someone is taking a class to get the HQL and are renting a handgun for the shooting component I see a problem.

jokie

May 27, 2020
    A in AA
    I wonder if can get an official electronic copy of my HQL. I have the card but I think it would be more convenient to have an electronic copy that I can save on my phone or access thru the FFL's computer when needed.

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    I just submitted mine yesterday. Would be nice to slip in before the deadline and get a nice card instead of a boring sheet of paper.

Dalebert

Apr 15, 2020
    Baltimore County
    electronic

I wonder if can get an official electronic copy of my HQL. I have the card but I think it would be more convenient to have an electronic copy that I can save on my phone or access thru the FFL's computer when needed.

Exactly...and the same thing goes for whoever complained about the piece of paper not holding up for 10 years...just scan it (is "official" pdf required?) and reprint it as many times as you need to. Same for the $20 replacement fee. Is the paper special that they print it on?

Rick

NRA Life Member
    Feb 25, 2016
    Eastern Shore
    Has there always been an HQL requirement to rent a gun at a range?

I thought they removed the requirement for an HQL to rent a handgun. If someone is taking a class to get the HQL and are renting a handgun for the shooting component I see a problem.

I remember this being discussed on this forum in the past, and I don't have a link to any official source, but I always thought that renting a gun that you were going to use on the premises, like at a gun range, didn't require an HQL. However, renting a gun that you were going to take off the premises, did require an HQL.

Anyway, that's the way I remember it, but I could be wrong.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    The old online gun class card was paper as well.

I'm sure it'll hold up for 10 years

About once a month someone comes in looking to buy a handgun. One of my first questions is do they have an HQL? We still get someone every month or two that will pull out the old paper card.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    I remember this being discussed on this forum in the past, and I don't have a link to any official source, but I always thought that renting a gun that you were going to use on the premises, like at a gun range, didn't require an HQL. However, renting a gun that you were going to take off the premises, did require an HQL.

That's also my understanding of what has been generally accepted, but that isn't what the text quoted allows for.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Search the forum for the detailed answer. But IIRC if you are renting a handgun to use at the range you are renting it from then no "transfer" occurs. However if you rent a gun to take off premises like to go hunting for example, then that is considered a "transfer" and you need an HQL.

Quick answer is check with your local range where you intend to rent and they will tell you.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Pre HQL, I rented at several different ranges in the past year plus. I was never asked for an HQL. Just a drivers license. Not implying they were or weren’t following the letter of the law, just sharing anecdotal experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park
    So, will I be able to show an electronic copy of my pre-paper card and stop carrying it? Going to be interesting to see how that's handled.

This paper license, or an electronic copy of the license, must be presented

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

You are correct. And "rent" is defined in the statute as being removed from the presence of the owner/leasee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom