• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    FWIW, You can get DC water heater elements and skip the cost/inefficiency of the inverter.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Dernord-Immersion-Submersible-Element-Stainless/dp/B017VT68XA
    Those elements are in parallel for 300W. So it about 150W/12V=12.5A each. (12V/12.5A~=1ohm.) Running just one might still be a lot for your small controller & battery. You can put both windings in series for ~2ohms. That makes it a 12V/2ohms=6A load = 75W (which is 1/4 the orig 300W.)

There may be a potential issue with the DC elements they look good on paper. At 300 watts it would take 150% more time to heat the water to temperature in a 50-gallon water heater. The typical water heater has 2 elements at 1500 watts each using 220VAC.

When I worked as the energy manager at a college, we installed solar water heating systems. There are many types, more efficient and models now than there were 15 years ago.

A friend has a 15x25 foot swimming pool. He was going to install a solar electric system to run the bumps and pool heater. He was going to have it done by a local solar system. In the summer months he pays over 600 bucks a month. In the winter his bill drops to 200-250 bucks a month when not using the pool heating system.

The contractor was going to charge 20K to install an electric solar system to run his pool. Well, he did not have 20K to spend on a pool. I asked him if I could look into using a HW solar system as a DIY project? So, based on pool size and keeping the water temp at 80 degrees the HW solar parts and equipment was 4k. Based on OAT of >70 degrees F, it would take about 5 days of sun to heat the water to 80 degrees. Once it reached temperature it would stay there with just minimal use of the solar.

So even in the winter with an insulated pool cover the pool he can swim in the winter and the pool stays at 80 degrees. With just the 120vac pump running it uses 1200 watts of power. His electric bill through the year now is no higher than 250 bucks. So, in 14 months the solar heating system has paid for itself in savings.

The only difference in a HW solar for a home is the number of solar elements needed to maintain 125 degrees. If you have an oil furnace/wood stove, you can use the wasted heat from the stack to heat the water too which is really cheap to install. Solar HW heating system is less expensive to install. You can also put a HW coil in your AC/Heat pump system and heat your home.

Just food for thought.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Got a link? All I can find is home water heaters.

I would look at the home ones and cobble up something.

A box with a clear front, some black plastic tubing.

If you can put the water pan up higher, you can make it self circulate with natural convection.

Or a small pump with solar to run the pump

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I would look at the home ones and cobble up something.

A box with a clear front, some black plastic tubing.

If you can put the water pan up higher, you can make it self circulate with natural convection.

Or a small pump with solar to run the pump

The old bush fixes do work on the cheap, my brother in-law about 40 years ago built one to heat his house. He used black plastic piping rated for 212 degrees. He sprayed metal roofing panels with high temp black engine paint. Built 4 panels 3x5, insulated the piping between the panels and to and from his HW heat exchanger in his furnace. Installed a larger circulating pump. The system worked fine until the power went out. everything froze and busted he had a hell of a mess. It also contaminated his potable water as it tasted like PVC cement. Lessons learned, install a heat exchanger between the panels and your potable water with a circulating pump. Fill panel loop with glycol antifreeze to prevent freezing. Bought a small genny to keep furnace and pumps running.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    If you are going to use solar to do something, use it at the voltage it is stored, if you can. There is a loss of efficiency converting electric of about 12% 15% based on converters, for every conversion.

Years back I was tasked with making remote network panels for our security installations. We had some long run times of 8 hours or more. Using 120vac UPS's were horribly inefficient and made huge, heavy battery packs that were so heavy they couldn't be hung on the walls. I was able to use 48vdc power supplies and batteries and source all equipment to work at that or PoE and went from 400# of batteries to 60#

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    There may be a potential issue with the DC elements they look good on paper. At 300 watts it would take 150% more time to heat the water to temperature in a 50-gallon water heater. The typical water heater has 2 elements at 1500 watts each using 220VAC.

He wasn't heating 50 gal of water in a typical home tank. Its a small chicken trough(?) His existing inverter is only 150W.

They make larger elements for home use.

TOWcritter

Self Sufficent Sovereign
    Just bought a Lectric electric bike "https://lectricebikes.com/collections/ebikes/products/xp-black".

With gas prices heading skyward and ww3 around the corner....that and topped off the pantry with some Mountain House pouches because their prices are going up...again.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Just bought a Lectric electric bike "https://lectricebikes.com/collections/ebikes/products/xp-black".

With gas prices heading skyward and ww3 around the corner....that and topped off the pantry with some Mountain House pouches because their prices are going up...again.

Interesting. I think they're way overpriced for now, hopefully that will change.

FYI, if you leave off the quotation marks the system will turn your URL into a clickable link, so people don't need to cut and paste the address.

https://lectricebikes.com/collections/ebikes/products/xp-black

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    NBC filters.

I have iodine tablets in my Amazon cart but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I’m mulling over the idea of how bad I want to be the last man standing. If my family is Hiroshima’d I’m not sure I’d have much satisfaction in the fact that I took precautions that they weren’t willing to take.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Well, I thought of all the things I didn't have that might be in short supply, near-term, and that was it. Now I think it's unlikely that I'll need it for the N part in the near future, but it's there. But maybe more important, the C part is there if I'm ever CS'd by those seeking to violate my rights.

And, as I said in my Geiger counter post, the number of nuclear accidents is mind boggling and largely unknown. You may not ever be in a Chernobyl but you may just be the victim of an incompetent scrapper cluelessly spewing large amounts of radiation around your neighborhood.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    I have iodine tablets in my Amazon cart but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I’m mulling over the idea of how bad I want to be the last man standing. If my family is Hiroshima’d I’m not sure I’d have much satisfaction in the fact that I took precautions that they weren’t willing to take.

Don't worry - if they were to drop a nuke in this area you won't be needing iodine tablets..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom