• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    I want to do the USPSA clinic at Quantico on April 9th. Unfortunately, I don't have a full kit ready yet, so I need to make some last minute purchases. I'd be using a full-size RIA 1911 Tactical. I know I'm not going to win with that, owing to mag capacity if nothing else, but it's what I have, and the training should be useful nonetheless. IDPA is more of my style in the long run, but this clinic is USPSA-based, so that is what I shall do.

I've started off by ordering a double-clip IWB supertuck-style holster from this guy. I'm also going to need a mag holder. I was thinking of getting a double-mag holder from him, but I really don't know whether to go IWB or OWB. What are the disadvantages/advantages of each? Are both legal for both USPSA and IDPA? Is one optimal over the other? Would it be too much trying to wear both an IWB holster and an IWB double mag holder?

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm obviously entirely new to this, and I want to hear what the veterans are saying so I don't make any mistakes in purchasing the wrong stuff.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Have you read the USPSA rulebook about the divisions?

A RIA tactical fits just fine in IDPA CDP and USPSA Single Stack. There is no capacity disadvantage.

Buy owb holsters and mag pouches if you are even remotely concerned about being competitive.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    All right, I guess that answers my question. I'll get the OWB mag holder now, and then at some point down the line I guess I'll get another holster. Any suggestions?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    In spite of the nay-sayers here, I and several other folks at my 3-Gun match yesterday run Serpa holsters to good affect. I run a double-stack 1911, most folks are running some kind of 9mm. One guy was running the Taurus Beretta clone, no ADs here! Whatever holster you get, practice the draw while dry-firing and practice reholstering.

Jim

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    while IWB holster may (or may not) be best for actual concealed carry, drawing fast is a big part of doing well in idpa and uspsa competitions. external holster should yield faster draws. and plastic/kydex should be faster vs leather (at least with all the stuff i have). i second the blackhawk serpa as a good holster. zero friction, just have to depress the button as you're drawing. i have that, but have been using blade-tech, also zero friction but no button to depress, one less thing that could possibly go wrong during draw.

when shooting my 1911 i just have a fobus double mag pouch (OWB) which is super cheap and works fine.

as noted above, enter in the Single Stack division and you will be fully competitive with all the other 1911 shooters.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    All depends how much you wish to improve yourself with real world carry gear vs be competive for the sake of competition.

Start with what ever you have/ use already. FWIW even when I rarely carry IWB , I carry spare mag OWB .

celzey

Sep 26, 2009
    Easton
    Just my 2 cents but first and foremost purchase a new attitude. You CAN win with what you are shooting and remember you compete against otheers using the same type of weapon but most importantly compete against yourself. ie strive to better yourself each time out. I happen to use kit from comp-tac as is suggested by several others and I have used serpa as well. Both of these will serve you well and not break the bank. Good luck !!

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Thanks celzey. That is generally my attitude -- I try to do my best, and if I feel like I've done well and applied the fundamentals, then I'm happy. I'm not going to get down just because someone with a lot more experience, or a lot better equipment, does better than me. Shooting is for fun!

Fideo

Aug 27, 2009
    NoVA
    I think that it depends on why you want to shoot IDPA/USPSA. As I understand it USPSA allows a little more gaming than IDPA. My mindset is to improve my skills in deploying the weapon system that I carry in the way that I carry it. By that I mean my normal holster, weapon, and clothing.

If you are from MD I understand your ability to carry is limited; I only recently moved to VA myself. But even before moving to VA I carried concealed in my home, and whenever I found myself in a "free" state.

My interest in IDPA is to improve my skills under a more dynamic environment and as such I am willing to give up some ability to minimize times.

All of that said; I have a Serpa holster and do occasionally carry with it during the winter or when open carrying (gotta love VA).

To summarize, in my opinion the choice of gear really depends on your priorities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom