• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    I'm almost done with my blackout build, and now find myself needing a scope to mount on it, I've got a budget of $400-$500. Realistically, I'm looking for something low powered (I've no intention of going past 100-150 yds). Don't know if it helps or not, but the rifle in question has a 16 inch barrel. Any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated! :D

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    At 100-150 yards my opinion is that a red dot or 1x scope is sufficient. This of course assumes that you aren't trying to bullseye shoot but I kind of doubt you are doing that with 300 blk.

My personal favorite red dot right now is the Sig Romeo 5x, mainly because of the motion on feature. I'm assuming you built an AR so I suggest getting a red dot with the AAA battery housing that is between the optic and the rail. This cuts down the view obstruction on the outside of the optic housing. The vortex sparc AR is another option which can be had on Ebay (new) for ~$140.

My favorite 1x prism scope is the Spitfire AR from vortex. Its a little bigger and heavier than a red dot but has a very clear and crisp reticle compared to a red dot. If you have an astigmatism, you will appreciate going this way over a red dot.

The other option is a low power scope. I've been very happy with my 1-4 Vortex PST. I have the first gen and it has been great for me. There are lots of used ones out there now since the second gen has come out. Similar to the Spitfire, the reticle is very crisp and can be used just like a red dot or prism scope at 1x and gives the advantage of 4x for longer range. This will be heavier than a red dot or prism scope and not have unlimited eye relief.

As you can probably tell, I'm a bit of a Vortex fanboy. I have been impressed with their products and their warranty is amazing. I have had two scopes replaced by them with no questions asked. The first was my 1-4x PST that was destroyed when my gun fell off of the shooting table when my bag blew off the adjacent table and the other was a 6-24 PST I bought used and was damaged by the previous owner by massively over tightening cheap scope rings.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Nikon P-300Blk 2-7x. Calibrated for the 300 BO. Nice glass, if memory serves was only $200 +/-. I really like mine.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I'm ordering a Burris M-tac with fast fire red Dot on top next week for my 300 BO pistol. 1-4 with a red dot on top. I'll prolly ditch the red dot but we shall see.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Wow, that's a nice budget for glass. I'm curious, are you looking for precision bench shooting or something else?

Hunting mostly, with some occasional range time thrown in. Figured I’d give myself a little bit of wiggle room, not knowing what my options were

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Throw a fixed four on it and go shooting.

Zero at 50 or 75 yards. Then employ holdover at 100 and 150 yards.

The money you save on the scope can go towards buying more ammo.

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    I love shooting my .300 BO rifle's! I have no idea how I have some to own 4, maybe 5 not sure! I have them dialed in for different ammo's depending on the use. This particualr Ruger American in .300 BO is dialed in for a 75 yard zero shooting Gemtech 187 subs. It is quiet and at 75 yards shoot's a 3 shot .33 inch group. I have a Nikon PROSTAFF 5 3.5-14x40 BDC on the American. This season I shot a coyote at 100 yards while I had deer around my feeder 100 yards in another direction. The deer didn't even look up, the coyote on the other end dropped in his tracks! I also have a BO set up with PNW Subsonic 300 AAC Blackout 220 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail for my AAC BO SBR. This is topped with Nikon's BLACK FORCE1000, 30mm tube, 1-4X, illuminated reticle and weighs just 1 pound, all for less then $400. This is my hunting at night AR using a Predator Tactic's light. Lethal combination for predator's and hog's.

I also have one set up for 125gr Nosler BT ammo but I'll save that for another post. You are in for a lot of fun with your BO. As the projectiles get slower the accuracy drops off so find what works best for you.

Screen%20Shot%202017-12-04%20at%209.02.22%20AM.png

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    **temp thread hi-jack**
    Nice rig, bman! I just purchased that exact rifle to use for dedicated predator hunting. I plan to put a digital night vision scope on it (the only type of night vision I can afford, for now).
    What suppressor are you using? That will be my next purchase. It will be dedicated to the rifle and using only subsonic ammo. I don't care about weight. I just want the most suppression for the 300 subs.

Feel free to reply in PM so as to not muck up this thread :D

I love shooting my .300 BO rifle's! I have no idea how I have some to own 4, maybe 5 not sure! I have them dialed in for different ammo's depending on the use. This particualr Ruger American in .300 BO is dialed in for a 75 yard zero shooting Gemtech 187 subs. It is quiet and at 75 yards shoot's a 3 shot .33 inch group. I have a Nikon PROSTAFF 5 3.5-14x40 BDC on the American. This season I shot a coyote at 100 yards while I had deer around my feeder 100 yards in another direction. The deer didn't even look up, the coyote on the other end dropped in his tracks! I also have a BO set up with PNW Subsonic 300 AAC Blackout 220 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail for my AAC BO SBR. This is topped with Nikon's BLACK FORCE1000, 30mm tube, 1-4X, illuminated reticle and weighs just 1 pound, all for less then $400. This is my hunting at night AR using a Predator Tactic's light. Lethal combination for predator's and hog's.

I also have one set up for 125gr Nosler BT ammo but I'll save that for another post. You are in for a lot of fun with your BO. As the projectiles get slower the accuracy drops off so find what works best for you.

Screen%20Shot%202017-12-04%20at%209.02.22%20AM.png

quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    I use a red dot with a 3x magnifier. Good for close in and decent magnification for shots out to 100 yds.

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    .30 cal suppressor

I have used a number of can's on my AR/Bolt rifles. The Ruger American wears a 7.62-SDN and ratcheet mount. I swap out on occasion and the ratchet has worked great for me for 3 years with no problem's. The American is so quiet and accurate that 2 buddies bought the same rifle. 1 will use a Yankee Hill and the other a Dead Air which I also use and have nothing but great things to say about how they work and their quality. Defintely try out some different types of ammo, super and sub's make a big difference. Check out Nikon's Spot On Program to get some idea of the ballistic's. The sub's are abouut like shooting a .45 but more fun!

This is a upper a buddy built for me wearing a MONARCH 3 2-8x32 BDC. Low profile and plenty of magnifcation for 125 gr Nosler BT bullets.

bryce.jpg

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Snagged a primary arms 1-6 with the ACSS! I’ll be sure to post up some pictures once I get everything assembled. Thanks for the recommendations everyone :D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Snagged a primary arms 1-6 with the ACSS! I’ll be sure to post up some pictures once I get everything assembled. Thanks for the recommendations everyone :D

I have the same scope on mine. I love it!

Attachments

• 300aac.jpg
      300aac.jpg
      76 KB · Views: 286

Major03

Ultimate Member
    OP, what's the primary purpose of your rifle? Home Defense or hunting? Target shooting or a little of all of the above? Are you trying to keep it lightweight and slim or will you sacrifice weight for some versatility?

Shooting subs or supers, or switching back and forth between the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom