• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    their two-day Fall Scramble match was a lot of fun and very challenging. sure this one will be the same. this one is a one-day match.

the LR matches seem to fill up quickly so don't dawdle too much... this saturday (16th) i'm doing their last long range challenge match (belly match) of the year, i think it's full but can't hurt to call them and see if anyone wants to cancel.

https://practiscore.com/peacemaker-prs-club-series-1/register

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Never shot a LR match and not much experience shooting LR. (Other than a 2 day class at Central Virginia Tactical)
    but Interested in getting my feet wet. Would you recommend this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    well, you have 3 months to practice and get your stuff together!

you need an accurate rifle (like 1 moa) and you need to know your ballistics out to 1200 yards. if you took that CVT class, you probably have both.

with a good rifle and good dope, and being able to shoot prone accurately at distance, you then need to practice some positional shooting (off and thru barricades, rooftops, logs and other awkward firing positions). using bipods, front and/or rear bags and the like, basically figuring how get steady firing positions. this is something you can do at home via dry fire, aiming at far 'targets' and using deckrails, chairs, garbage cans and all kinds of weird stuff as rests.

https://forum.snipershide.com/articles/6257752-precision-rifle-series-intro-to-competition

peacemaker has a low-pressure, friendly belly match this saturday. think it's full but can't hurt to call and see if they have a wait list. and frankly even if it's full can't hurt to come out just in case someone cancels (likely as it will be cold) but worst case enjoy watching the match and seeing what everyone has and ask questions. they also have one march 24 a few weeks before this PRS match. both give you the opportunity to get or update some dope for your gun and see how your accuracy is.

bottom line is if you don't have dope and haven't proven your accuracy at 1k and past, i wouldn't choose this PRS match as your first match. but you have 3 months to do all this and if you can get a belly match or two under your belt and practice some positional shooting, you would enjoy the PRS match and certainly have takeaways to help you for your next one.

i am doing the match this saturday and you're welcome to come out and i'm happy to talk with you about all this and you can certainly talk with everyone else and get some input and ideas.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    well, you have 3 months to practice and get your stuff together!

you need an accurate rifle (like 1 moa) and you need to know your ballistics out to 1200 yards. if you took that CVT class, you probably have both.

with a good rifle and good dope, and being able to shoot prone accurately at distance, you then need to practice some positional shooting (off and thru barricades, rooftops, logs and other awkward firing positions). using bipods, front and/or rear bags and the like, basically figuring how get steady firing positions. this is something you can do at home via dry fire, aiming at far 'targets' and using deckrails, chairs, garbage cans and all kinds of weird stuff as rests.

https://forum.snipershide.com/articles/6257752-precision-rifle-series-intro-to-competition

peacemaker has a low-pressure, friendly belly match this saturday. think it's full but can't hurt to call and see if they have a wait list. and frankly even if it's full can't hurt to come out just in case someone cancels (likely as it will be cold) but worst case enjoy watching the match and seeing what everyone has and ask questions. they also have one march 24 a few weeks before this PRS match. both give you the opportunity to get or update some dope for your gun and see how your accuracy is.

bottom line is if you don't have dope and haven't proven your accuracy at 1k and past, i wouldn't choose this PRS match as your first match. but you have 3 months to do all this and if you can get a belly match or two under your belt and practice some positional shooting, you would enjoy the PRS match and certainly have takeaways to help you for your next one.

i am doing the match this saturday and you're welcome to come out and i'm happy to talk with you about all this and you can certainly talk with everyone else and get some input and ideas.

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I can't make it this weekend, I have some family business to tend to. I may switch gears a little and try to come out and watch the match in April and then maybe enter one further down the road.
    I have the rifle and dope so I'm good there, the biggest thing for me would be different shooting positions (prone is fine) and reading the wind. Practice time over the next several months will be scarce so I think I'm better off waiting.
    What distances do these matches take place at?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    What distances do these matches take place at?

100-1200 yards. their belly (prone only, LRC-long range challenge) matches are great for getting dope on your gun and understanding the effects of wind). i'd hit their march one as long as you know your chrono speed and have a ballistics table printed out. and of course have an accurate rifle/load, and good scope including turrets you can easily dial.

in the meantime, look for some vids on 'precision rifle series' and 'peacemaker fall scramble' to give you some idea of what you'll be facing.

edit, sounds like you have the rifle and dope so ignore that part above. but yeah try to hit the march belly match to get more dope and help with wind. and again you can practice shooting from weird positions via dry fire in or outside of your house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom