• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Have red dot now on my ar. It is never pitch black in any paet of the house at night. I could see a bad guy through it. Is this ok in my situation. No kids just a wife who will be in a closet calling 911.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm sure it's a typing on your phone thing, bit can't figure what you're trying to say in 3rd sentence.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Light on rifle, I think would be the best bet. It'll help you identify your target better. I made the mistake of putting a super bright 1000 lumen one on my rifle, it just blinds me lol. I sense than switched to a light that is about 200-300 lumens.

On another note: I bought a Walther PPS m2 adition it has no ability to put a light on it but has phospurus sights, which is dumb. I have to blast it with light before I can use it and it sits in my safe so no light lol. Has anyone have any suggestion for a comapny that sells good pistol holster that would fit lights?

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I equip for the worst case - power outage - so no light at all. I use 100 lumen weapon lights for inside. More than that is blinding to me from backscatter due to light paint on the walls, and its still blinding for the perp.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Do not forget a sling.

If you have a malfunction and transfer to your secondary. Are you planning to toss the rifle, or correct the malfunction when time permits?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Red dot is good. Weapon light needed for a shotgun or rifle. Handheld flashlight okay with a pistol. For the later, look up techniques to use both.

My 2 cents are I wouldn’t want to use open sights in a really stressful situation if there are easy options for a red dot or even low/no power scope. CQB red dot is far superior to anything.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I know this flies in the face of popular fashion, but I instruct and obey Cooper's second rule: Never point the muzzle at anything you don't wanna destroy.
    Unless you're highly (and frequently) trained, keep a light handy and in your hand.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I know this flies in the face of popular fashion, but I instruct and obey Cooper's second rule: Never point the muzzle at anything you don't wanna destroy.
    Unless you're highly (and frequently) trained, keep a light handy and in your hand.

It does fly in the face of popular fashion because it's easily remedied with a 10 second lesson of baseboard/umbrella lighting. Any light over 200 lumens or so will light up a room decent enough to see most things when you point it up at the ceiling or down at the baseboards. Especially if you've got kids(where baseboard lighting may mean flagging a kid), just keep the muzzle up and umbrella light rooms until you've ID'd a threat.

It works especially well if you've got a light with more lumen output. I've got a 1,200 lumen olight pl2 on my AR, and it fills the room just as well as flicking a light switch when pointed at the ceiling.

A handheld light with a long-gun will likely have a pretty substantial negative impact on your ability to use the gun. With a hand-gun a handheld light can have its benefits, but I still have lights on my defensive handguns for more options.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    All depends on your view of role of lights : See in the dark ? Mystic ninja warrior of the dark , to blind and paralyze your opponents ?

But the 1200 lumen light on AR would be just the thing for 200yd jacklighting.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Enough ambient light. You will be point shooting and not sighting in at in home distances. Sight means nothing.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    No reason you can't do both a red dot and flashlight, most are bright enough to indirectly illuminate a room when pointed at the ground in low-ready. With a decent hot spot in the beam it can help point shooting, probably won't have an ideal cheekweld and stance anyway, but if you find yourself in a position where you can use the red dot, then it will be there to use, and probably off unless it's an aimpoint or something with several years worth of battery life.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Do you have a light on your rifle? If not, get one.

^^^This. Especially one with a contact switch so you will already be aiming when it comes on. Co-witnessing BUISights are great for when you don't have a movement activated red dot sight(you can't assume you'll have time to fumble around for an 'on switch'). Keep them deployed.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Why don't people just turn the lights on?
    Seriously, the idea is to get the person to leave your house, not ambush him and do a mag dump in his chest. I can't walk through my house without sequentially turning on lights as I go starting with a lamp next to my bed.
    Weapon lights are cool looking though.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Why don't people just turn the lights on?
    Seriously, the idea is to get the person to leave your house, not ambush him and do a mag dump in his chest. I can't walk through my house without sequentially turning on lights as I go starting with a lamp next to my bed.
    Weapon lights are cool looking though.
    You'll give away your location if you do. LOL
    I get up at night all the time and the ambient light from my stove light and a night light with in my living room is enough for me to see everything.
    Do people live in catacombs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom