Any antique Sharps Carbine conversion experts" out there?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I recently came into what I'm told is a Sharps .50-70 conversion saddle ring carbine. It's in excellent shape with zero rust, barrel pitting, or serious indications of wear. The story goes that it was in a trunk for a very long time, and it was then hung up on a wall in the sun. This bleached the case hardening off of the receiver, so the previous owner flipped it over to make both sides match. The barrel is immaculate, as it still has machining marks from the mandrel. The action is super tight, like tighter than a Ruger No. 1. I also received a partial box of original .50-70 ammunition.

Is this a rare gun? Initial research indicates it's a $2,500+ gun based on book values and examples on gunbroker that actually sold, but this one looks a bit nicer.

I had issues with the images I took, I'll have some up here soon.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Here are images.

Attachments

• IMG_7418.jpg
      IMG_7418.jpg
      96 KB · Views: 170
    • IMG_7419.jpg
      IMG_7419.jpg
      91.7 KB · Views: 166
    • IMG_7420.jpg
      IMG_7420.jpg
      84.3 KB · Views: 167
    • IMG_7421.jpg
      IMG_7421.jpg
      63.4 KB · Views: 167
    • IMG_7423.jpg
      IMG_7423.jpg
      20.4 KB · Views: 170

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Take it to the Maryland Arms Collectors show in March at the Timonium fair grounds to get a realistic value. They have collectors from all over the USA and Europe.

Good luck

Jerry

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Take it to the Maryland Arms Collectors show in March at the Timonium fair grounds to get a realistic value. They have collectors from all over the USA and Europe.

Good luck

Jerry

I was thinking of taking it there...I wish that show was more than once a year.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I have some old text that describes your rifle as a side-hammer Sharps Breech-Loading percussion carbine firing either a paper patched sporting cartridge or the regular US government cartridge in 50-70. The 30" rifle is 10 lbs. and has a patch box sometimes. No specs on the carbine.
    Just going from memory a Hartford Sharps is desirable because of the different genres of makers that manufactured Sharps rifles during turbulent times of the company and the they were also the type (make)that were delivered to John Brown in crates marked bibles.
    Sharps rifles also defeated the British in sporting arms events where distances were fired up to 1000 yds in 1877. It was then that the British team purchased Sharps Rifles. Bisley I think. We all know the rifles were also popular with buffalo hunters.
    I would be wanting to hold onto that one for myself. Not only because its a carbine but because of the condition. You'll get beat up with the color case faded from time and this and that but the bottom line is you got a winner there that you just don't run into everyday.
    Keep it and follow some advanced collectors auctions to see what they fetch over a period of time. The Sharps story is long and interesting and you may be disappointed one day if you let that one go, you'll never be able to replace it. Nothing like having a real gun in your hands, hard to top the real thing.

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    I had one in similar condition to yours that I sold a few years ago. I think $2500 is a bit optimistic, $1800 to $2000 is more realistic, unless you find someone who really, really wants one. They are not uncommon, even in condition like yours. A little over 31,000 carbines were converted from .52 caliber percussion to .50-70 caliber centerfire in the late 1860's, after the war.

Loaded cartridges (450 grain bullets with 70 grains of BP) are quite expensive, and even brass and bullets to reload are not cheap. I still have 6 rounds that I'll give you if you want, but you have to pick them up; I'm in Waldorf.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That's a fairly nice sharps and a great find especially for someone who wants a shooter. Not sure I have every seen one outside of a high end collection or museum with any of the case hardening. Ive looked at a few of them lately but most didn't have as strong a bore.

I would say around $1800 is very close the mark, maybe a little more.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I have some old text that describes your rifle as a side-hammer Sharps Breech-Loading percussion carbine firing either a paper patched sporting cartridge or the regular US government cartridge in 50-70. The 30" rifle is 10 lbs. and has a patch box sometimes. No specs on the carbine.
    Just going from memory a Hartford Sharps is desirable because of the different genres of makers that manufactured Sharps rifles during turbulent times of the company and the they were also the type (make)that were delivered to John Brown in crates marked bibles.
    Sharps rifles also defeated the British in sporting arms events where distances were fired up to 1000 yds in 1877. It was then that the British team purchased Sharps Rifles. Bisley I think. We all know the rifles were also popular with buffalo hunters.
    I would be wanting to hold onto that one for myself. Not only because its a carbine but because of the condition. You'll get beat up with the color case faded from time and this and that but the bottom line is you got a winner there that you just don't run into everyday.
    Keep it and follow some advanced collectors auctions to see what they fetch over a period of time. The Sharps story is long and interesting and you may be disappointed one day if you let that one go, you'll never be able to replace it. Nothing like having a real gun in your hands, hard to top the real thing.

Thanks for the info. I'm struggling with keeping it or not. I don't collect items from that period but I really like the rifle based on its design. It's also built like a tank.

I think I remember the John Brown story but I didn't know it was Hartford rifles. Interesting.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    That's a fairly nice sharps and a great find especially for someone who wants a shooter. Not sure I have every seen one outside of a high end collection or museum with any of the case hardening. Ive looked at a few of them lately but most didn't have as strong a bore.

I would say around $1800 is very close the mark, maybe a little more.

The bore looks like it's a new rifle. I have never seen a rifle that old with that strong/good of rifling.

There is still some faint evidence of the case hardening colors, but it's muddled/faded.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Saw you put it up in the classifieds, believe me if I could..........I would.

I did put it up in the classifieds...it's one of those things where if I sell it to someone who appreciates it, I will be happy. However, if it doesn't sell, I am happy as well. It's just doesn't interest me as much as other firearms.

That being said, if someone were to make me an offer that's at least reasonable, I would consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom