• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    OK to start off I am definetly buying one of these to put on one of the group buy lowers. I started out wanting a 6.8 SPC. Have already picked out the upper I want from Bison Armory. But after reading for the last few days it appears that the general concensus is that the 6.5 Grendel is the way to go. I have seen the comparative ballistics charts and scoured the 6.8 and 6.5 forums. Ammo is not a deciding factor since I reload. I am looking to put a good piece of glass on this rifle and use it for target/hunting. I have a few questions.

Anybody own one of these and how do you like it?

Has anybody hunted whitetails with either of these?

Is there a reliability difference between the two?

Does anybody happen to own both and want to let me shoot them? :D

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that there also appears to be a larger selection of 6.8 uppers out there compared to the 6.5. If anybody knows of any reasonably priced (under 750) 6.5 uppers let me know (so far Alexander Arms appears to be about it)

Funbrit

May 28, 2008
    Rockville
    I had the same dilemma a few weeks ago, I finally decided that I wanted 6.8 over the Grendel. I liked the Stag Arms 7H upper for hunting so the decision wasn't hard for me to make. The Grendel is an excellent round, I think more people will steer you more to the 6.5 over the 6.8 round though.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Both would be fine whitetail killers for sure. I doubt the difference in the hunting department would be very noticeable.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you're shooting competitions past 500 yards, get the Grendel. If you want an all around cartridge for under 500 yards, get the SPC. BTW, to really make the Grendel shine, you need a 20"+ barrel, while the SPC will work great on everything from SBRs to SPRs.

Handloading the 6.8 will smoke the Grendel to about 300 yards. Bison makes really good uppers (I happen to own one) and I do take it to 3-Gun matches occasionally.

Jim

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Handloading the 6.8 will smoke the Grendel to about 300 yards. Bison makes really good uppers (I happen to own one) and I do take it to 3-Gun matches occasionally.

Jim

The Bison Arrmory upper is what is holding me towards the 6.8. The 6.5 uppers seem to all be in the 1k plus range for a comparable upper. Hell, maybe I just need both. I mean I do have 2 lowers coming in.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    I know we're getting off-topic now, but an AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor really fascinates me.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The Bison Arrmory upper is what is holding me towards the 6.8. The 6.5 uppers seem to all be in the 1k plus range for a comparable upper. Hell, maybe I just need both. I mean I do have 2 lowers coming in.

Sounds like a plan to me.

I know we're getting off-topic now, but an AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor really fascinates me.

I want to build one like this that takes G3 mags.

Jim

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    I have a 8lb Grendel w/ the scope. It is a beast. One of the lightest rifles you will ever carry yet deadly accurate out to 1k. I shoot 123gr Amax factory loaded by Hornady and will over time, reload it w/ the 107gr SMK. Its 18" and puts the 123gr Amax out at 2500fps. The 107gr SMK will do close to 2700 and carry a BC similar to the 175gr SMK. The Grendel cartridge is short and fat and super accurate. It was designed from a 6mm benchrest cartridge and it really shows its heritage with some accurate downrange results.

I built my rifle myself. Here are the build specs:

18" Satern barrel (http://www.alexanderarms.com/item/14/142/18GrendelCutRifledBarrelandBolt.htm) - note this barrel's thread; beautiful fluing, very light as result; super accurate (no 100yd groups over an MOA so far, many at .5 w/ factory ammo from Hornady)
    AA Muzzle brake (makes a big difference in reducing felt recoil); 9/16-24 threads
    PRI gas port (.75")
    MI SS-series handguards at mid length (9 3/16"), free floated
    AA upper receiver
    mil spec BCG
    AA Grendel bolt (i. w/ barrel)
    mil spec charging handle
    RR Arms lower receiver
    Timney 3# single stage trigger (I love these, they are on all my ARs)
    A2 mil spec stock (sorry, these are still the best stocks for AR)
    Magpul grip (the adjustable one, don't remember name)
    mil spec rifle buffer and spring
    C-Products 15 and 25 round Grendel mags

Adds to above rifle:
    IOR 2-12x32 35mm scope
    IOR rings (high)
    Viking Tac sling (QD on muzzle end, webbing on stock end)
    Harris 9-13" bipod
    Larue bipod QD mount

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    jimbob, a buddy has ar-10 format in 6.5 creedmore and uses the standard .308 pmags. think that's a way easier and cheaper route.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    jimbob, a buddy has ar-10 format in 6.5 creedmore and uses the standard .308 pmags. think that's a way easier and cheaper route.

I know, it's just the siren call of $0.97 magazines versus $15+ magazines. The upper/lower combo to take the G3 mags will take the DPMS AR-10 type barrels and BCGs and other parts.

Jim

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    oh jeez, when you said "g3" i was thinking HK and that they would cost way more than the pmags and would be harder to find... my bad...

Fideo

Aug 27, 2009
    NoVA
    I would go with the Grendel or its clones (6.5 Sporter/.264 LBC-AR) due to superior range.

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    There is a 6.5 Grendel for sale at the Navy matches in Quantico this week...guy is asking $600 for a AA grendel upper, dies, loaded rounds, a few (3?) mags. If you want to take a look at it, they should be off the line about 1300 or 1400 tomorrow (Sunday) and you can stop by, or just email me and I'll get his contact info when I'm there tomorrow.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I have been doing tons of research on the same question for a few weeks now. Waiting for my tax return to buy. Final decission was the 6.5. It's just a better round for long distance and moves a little faster than 6.8. I reload so ammo availability is null.

zbay

Oct 13, 2013
    I made the same decision, I am waiting on my barrel to show up from satern. I am looking forward to getting it all put together.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    I made the same decision, I am waiting on my barrel to show up from satern. I am looking forward to getting it all put together.

Chamber a couple dummy rounds first. My Satern barrel was one of a few with "short throats", or as Satern puts it ... minimum spec.

Satern is going to take it back and open it up to accept the bigger pills. 120 grain SST, 123 grain Amax currently jam into the lands.

Just an FYI, most data for 6.8 is SPC I, not SPC II.

SPC II is faster than the grendel out of the barrel. The Grendel's higher bc pills catch up to the 6.8 waaaay down range, then ends a few 100 fps faster. A good hand loader can close the gap. There is room the grow with the 6.8, the Grendel is limited by the lower pressures and weaker bolts.

Shooting mostly 600 yards-plus with factory ammo - Grendel all day long.

Shooting under 500 yards with factory ammo - Flip a coin.

Handloading - buy both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom