• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Visited my new friend in jail at Engage to finish making it MD legal. Under 3.5lbs unloaded in the pictured config. Had to use an A5 tube to push it over the 29" edge from the muzzle.

Attachments

• su16d9.jpg
      su16d9.jpg
      84.5 KB · Views: 577

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I don't want to be nitpicky or whatever, but when did you make those SBRs? If it was after 10/1/13, they are illegal because they have both a folding stock and a flash hider.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Just trying to be helpful, guys. It's easy to unintentionally fall afoul of Maryland's laws on this stuff, and it would suck to see someone inadvertently do something illegal.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    It depends. Does that device, when attached to a firearm, serve to increase the rate of fire of said firearm? If so, did you apply to ATF for permission to have that device before 10/1/18?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    They do. Thats also why they cant be under 29" in MD.

Apples and oranges.

I would love to see Hawkeye's opinion in the statute though. He's almost(if ever) never wrong on this stuff.

I do know, once you convert an existing gun, even a pre ban gun, into an SBR, you've just "made a new gun". And it is subject to current statute.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I would love to see Hawkeye's opinion in the statute though. He's almost(if ever) never wrong on this stuff.

Awww, gee. In all seriousness though please remember that I'm just an interested lay person here.

That said:

I do know, once you convert an existing gun, even a pre ban gun, into an SBR, you've just "made a new gun". And it is subject to current statute.

Correct. You are doing what ATF refers to as "making" a new firearm when you use an approved Form 1 to convert something from a Title I (non-NFA) firearm into a Title II (NFA) firearm.

In addition to that, it is my opinion (and that of MSP and ATF) that SBRs do fall under the rules in FSA2013. This is because they are still "Short Barreled Rifles. To use an AR SBR for an example, it is still a "semi-automatic centerfire rifle which is capable of accepting detachable magazines" and so it must pass all of the copycat tests in FSA2013, including the 29" rule, the feature test, etc.

This is why ATF will not currently approve a Form 1 for a Maryland resident for an AR which lists an OAL shorter than 29" - because MSP has told them that would be illegal here, as it would be a non-grandfathered (since you're making a new firearm when you complete it) "assault weapon" (because it fails the OAL test) and therefore banned. Likewise, if you wanted to make a new SBR post 10/1/13 that would fail the "evil feature" test (like having a flash hider and a folding stock) that would also be illegal.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I would LOVE to show you all my new acquisition however, I am still waiting for government shutdown to end. And I was SO close to getting the stamp approved. By NFA averages i was only a week, maybe two, off from getting my stamp. Oh well, hurry up and wait some more. Hope the shut-down ends soon. Not just for my silly stamp but for the government workers and families affected by it.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Finally dipping my toes in the NFA waters. Wound up trading for an AAC SR7. As a result, I chopped my fal barrel to 16.5 inches and slapped a mount on it. My most recent Ar-15 build got a mount for it too. :D

Attachments

• file2-3.jpg
      file2-3.jpg
      77.9 KB · Views: 526
    • file1-3.jpg
      file1-3.jpg
      80.9 KB · Views: 556
    • file-33.jpg
      file-33.jpg
      133.7 KB · Views: 550

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics