In need of a career change... any ideas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Toxicjin

Feb 8, 2018
    Forest Hill, Md.
    Hey guys, looking for some helpful advice. After 20+ years as an auto mechanic, I just can't do it anymore. After Carpel Tunnel surgery on both wrists two years ago, I'm still having wrist, neck,* and shoulder pain. I'm in my early 40s and can't see me in my 50s and 60s still doing this. Where I currently work, I'm doing one engine or transmission swap a week -minimum. It's just too much for me, and I'm not sure where to start looking.* If any of you guys out there have any ideas that might point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    If you can deal with people, you could transition to being a writer. Most techs hate customers though, so I doubt that'll be high on your list haha.

Warranty companies usually like to hire former techs as adjusters and inspectors.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    I know exactly what you're saying... After years as a professional mechanic in my 20's doing brake job after brake job, oil changes, engine swaps, transmission rebuilds, etc - out in the cold and heat with burns and broken bones from time to time - I knew I couldn't continue unless I owned the shop. I could see the impact on my older peers. I switched careers and went into computers - and it was worth it for me... Instead of beating up my body, computers are all mental. I don't really have a recommendation for what next - other than to do something you enjoy... For me, I get a kick out of my home shade tree shop and have learned to enjoy wrenches again (although I've come to question the silliness of all the special tools nowadays - like the special 30mm Toyota axle nut sockets).

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    That sucks, no help but that's the bummer about a lot of trade work. When I worked in a machine shop, all the older guys who been around always had carpal tunnel surgeries, and various other hand and extremity nerve related ailments

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Can you go into business doing auto repair on your own? You could make more and reduce hours.

What about training mechanics?

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    Been a master ASE car and medium/ heavy truck for 25+ years.L1 L2 etc. I made bank and then some. But My body is worn out as well as my mind. Everything is reflash reprogram spend another $5k on the latest and greatest software etc. Flipping houses is what I'm doing now. Much easier.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Send a pm to Alucard, he is an expert in the automotive industry. Went from mechanic to fleet manangement.

Or reinvent yourself....what’s your favorite hobby or passion? Follow it, maybe go back to school if necessary.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Preaching to the choir here. I've been doing it 13 years and although the money is still good, I'm getting fed up with it. It's a hard pill to swallow to take a 50% or more pay cut to start over in another industry though.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Have you ever thought of just doing diagnosis? I think a shop where one could go for an unbiased opinion (you wouldn’t do any repairs, deal in parts, etc), just look over the vehicle and say you are in need of brakes, tires, fluids, etc. People looking to buy used cars or that don’t have a mechanic who they can trust or for a second opinion. If you don’t want to deal with OBDII you can deal with mechanical inspections. I’ve heard of somebody in Texas that does this on exotics and makes $400-$500 each.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    If you can deal with people, you could transition to being a writer. Most techs hate customers though, so I doubt that'll be high on your list haha.

Warranty companies usually like to hire former techs as adjusters and inspectors.

I used to be a service advisor it’s more about sales than technical knowledge but it’s not a bad thing and pay is decent. If the OP wants I know the service director of a Toyota dealership in the Baltimore area, I can always send him an email.

Toxicjin

Feb 8, 2018
    Forest Hill, Md.
    I used to be a service advisor it’s more about sales than technical knowledge but it’s not a bad thing and pay is decent. If the OP wants I know the service director of a Toyota dealership in the Baltimore area, I can always send him an email.

I'm not sure I would be cut out to be an advisor. I could probably explain things pretty well to a customer, but I'm not much of a salesman. I know I dont have many options to choose from, but other than maybe in a parts department,I would like to leave the automotive industry all together.

Last edited:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    What about getting in with somewhere like CarMax to do the screening of their intake cars that come in on trade or that they are buying from auction?

Basically just being an appraiser, and it would seem that it could be a pathway up in the company.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I know quite a few auto mechanics that turned to building maintenance as they got older. Go to night school for 4 years (apprenticeship program), get your license, become an engineer and you’ll be making six figures with great benefits easily.

Here is a link. Apprentice applications are taken in May.

http://www.iuoelocal99.org/

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member

In general, great advice. Leverage what you know. Think about all the people in your industry you've dealt with over the years and how much some of them could have benefitted from your experience and be one of them, only better.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I'm not sure I would be cut out to be an advisor. I could probably explain things pretty well to a customer, but I'm not much of a salesman. I know I dont have many options to choose from, but other than maybe in a parts department,I would like to leave the automotive industry all together.

You need patience and people skills more than anything from what I've seen. I'd probably be fired the first week after telling an idiot customer to get bent. :lol2:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    You need patience and people skills more than anything from what I've seen. I'd probably be fired the first week after telling an idiot customer to get bent. :lol2:

People skills are an understatement. Having a professional degree in psychology is usually still not enough to console irrational customers. However it is a valuable skill that companies are willing to pay for.

On the flip side, being in a service industry now for 15years I just try to tell myself. “Don’t be that guy” when I’m on the receiving end of some service problem. I’ve learned that a little patience and common curtesy goes a long way when trying to get a problem resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Alanharper

Latest threads

Top Bottom