• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    First time shooting steel this morning at AGC. What a beautiful day!

Attachments

• Steel.jpg
      Steel.jpg
      85.7 KB · Views: 520

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    First time shooting steel this morning at AGC. What a beautiful day!

Very cool photo, and hope you had a blast!

AGC is more steel friendly than ever; one of many great changes for the better in recent year(s). Really liking the new club officers and stuff they are doing.

Stuck at home repairing a cracked p-trap. Sigh.

Not sure I want to know what that is. :D

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Very cool photo, and hope you had a blast!

AGC is more steel friendly than ever; one of many great changes for the better in recent year(s). Really liking the new club officers and stuff they are doing.

Not sure I want to know what that is. :D

May I ask what is meant by AGC more "steel friendly"? I'm not sure I understand the requirement to be certified...a target is a target is a target, no?

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    I wonder what type of steel he was shooting at, or is it that no steel will hold up to a 50?
    dan

It's not the type of target but, the position of it and the bullet used (probably steel core). That is why they want you to shoot lead bullets and have fixed steel targets angled 20 deg. downwards so the shrapnel deflects down and not back at you.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Some of it is the type of target. Harder steel targets like ar500 are going to shatter the bullet, even something like a commie 5.45 steel or m855. A soft steel is more likely to deform and ricochet or eject the bullet, mostly whole, off after deforming it instead of breaking it apart. Fragments, even kicked straight back lose velocity rapidly. This is also why steel has a minimum safe distance depending on what you are shooting. Fragments from a pistol bullet have a much shorter danger zone than rifle fragments. IIRC in most cases about 25yds for pistol and 50 yds for most rifles. I'd imagine the heavier gauge stuff is 100.

Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    It's not the type of target but, the position of it and the bullet used (probably steel core). That is why they want you to shoot lead bullets and have fixed steel targets angled 20 deg. downwards so the shrapnel deflects down and not back at you.

How far is the target, can't tell from the video but it looks pretty far away

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    This is awesome. As is the video. Thanks for sharing. I'd like to try steel at AGC. Is that your steel or one that AGC has set up?

It's strictly "bring you own"... But first you must get certified by AGC to shoot steel. See their website for details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom