• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You've been talking about someone teaching you the deer hunting ropes on here fo-eva.

Best of luck to you and your son on your first hunting trip.

Bow? Rifle? Shotgun? .50BMG?

What, and turn his boy in to a pansy. There are two of them, a Lahti is easily portable by two guys.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9qHv_XEAZg

And bonus that if you miss, odds are excellent you’ll still kill the deer on the other side of the one you shot at, behind the hill.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Have you ever field dressed a deer? :innocent0

FWIW, I helped my son field dress his first deer over face time, hit me up if needed :D

Lol, no I haven't ever been anywhere near a dead deer.

It's a youth hunt put on by www.tyhp.org
    Geared towards first time youth hunters, but every kid has to have a chaperone(thus why I'll be with him). It's friday-sunday and lodging/food is provided. Cost $150 For both of us so it's a pretty good deal.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Have you ever field dressed a deer? :innocent0

FWIW, I helped my son field dress his first deer over face time, hit me up if needed :D

I was solo my first time. YouTubed a lot of videos on how to do it. Still got stuck and couldn’t figure it out and my neighbor who is a hunter wasn’t answering his phone. Fortunately I had 2 bars of reception. I’d peeled off one glove and pulled up a video and went (oh, yeah. I’ve gotta cut through the diaphragm!)

Been getting easier with each one. I think I managed about 4 minutes with the last one, compared to about 30 minutes of struggle with my first ever deer.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I was solo my first time. YouTubed a lot of videos on how to do it. Still got stuck and couldn’t figure it out and my neighbor who is a hunter wasn’t answering his phone. Fortunately I had 2 bars of reception. I’d peeled off one glove and pulled up a video and went (oh, yeah. I’ve gotta cut through the diaphragm!)

Been getting easier with each one. I think I managed about 4 minutes with the last one, compared to about 30 minutes of struggle with my first ever deer.

Yep, after you have done several of them, they become real easy. Best not to deal with a gut shot, because those are a mess to clean out.

Slit the sucker open from throat to rear (do not knick the stomach for two reason, the release of bacteria and the stench). Cut through the windpipe. Cut through the diaphragm. Then, two different ways to cut the rear end. Small long knife to cut around the rear hole or use a heavy knife to cut through that rear hip bone and split it in half. Then, all you do is roll the deer over and all the guts come rolling out. Drag the deer out, wash it out at the barn, hang it, wash it out some more, then take it home.

Next up, skinning and butchering.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yep, after you have done several of them, they become real easy. Best not to deal with a gut shot, because those are a mess to clean out.

Slit the sucker open from throat to rear (do not knick the stomach for two reason, the release of bacteria and the stench). Cut through the windpipe. Cut through the diaphragm. Then, two different ways to cut the rear end. Small long knife to cut around the rear hole or use a heavy knife to cut through that rear hip bone and split it in half. Then, all you do is roll the deer over and all the guts come rolling out. Drag the deer out, wash it out at the barn, hang it, wash it out some more, then take it home.

Next up, skinning and butchering.

A couple thoughts: I've dressed deer both ways and I prefer to start at the anus and work my way to the chest. That's just me. Taking care of the but-hole first allows me to do that without worrying about the mess at the other end. Once I cut the skin around it, I then run my knife all around it, inside the pelvis.

When dressing a gut-shot deer(and eventually every hunter will), GO SLOW. I have done my share and in 99% of the cases, I dare you to tell me it was gut-shot.

As for washing out the carcass. If you want to wash out a carcass, do it with dry rags. I would not recommend using water unless you are in the butchering phase meaning, the wet meat is about to go into the freezer. Getting any carcass wet and then letting is sit or hang for any time, you run the risk of promoting bacterial growth, especially in a gut-shot deer. :)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    A couple thoughts: I've dressed deer both ways and I prefer to start at the anus and work my way to the chest. That's just me. Taking care of the but-hole first allows me to do that without worrying about the mess at the other end. Once I cut the skin around it, I then run my knife all around it, inside the pelvis.

When dressing a gut-shot deer(and eventually every hunter will), GO SLOW. I have done my share and in 99% of the cases, I dare you to tell me it was gut-shot.

As for washing out the carcass. If you want to wash out a carcass, do it with dry rags. I would not recommend using water unless you are in the butchering phase meaning, the wet meat is about to go into the freezer. Getting any carcass wet and then letting is sit or hang for any time, you run the risk of promoting bacterial growth, especially in a gut-shot deer. :)

Yeah, that is an important point about washing it out. I only do it when the temps are below freezing and the deer will be hanging outside. When it is above freezing, water is one of the promoters of bacteria.

Just re-learned all of this from Inigoes in the hunter safety course. Heat, water, and dirt the three ways to spoil meat.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Lol, no I haven't ever been anywhere near a dead deer.

It's a youth hunt put on by www.tyhp.org
    Geared towards first time youth hunters, but every kid has to have a chaperone(thus why I'll be with him). It's friday-sunday and lodging/food is provided. Cost $150 For both of us so it's a pretty good deal.

That sounds like a great time :thumbsup:

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

Yeah, that is an important point about washing it out. I only do it when the temps are below freezing and the deer will be hanging outside. When it is above freezing, water is one of the promoters of bacteria.

Just re-learned all of this from Inigoes in the hunter safety course. Heat, water, and dirt the three ways to spoil meat.

The one exception to this is cleaning the meat prior to hanging it, if you have the capability to hang it without the hide.

I’ll put my flame suit on because I’ve heard it before, but this is advice from father who has been a butcher for 45 years.

Once the deer has been skinned and quartered (quartered if desired), hose it off and then spray it down with a bleach / water mix to kill any surface bacteria. Basically, one cap of standard bleach to a spray bottle of water, then let it hang for up to 2 weeks ( I hang them for a week max)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom