• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    All,

Looking for a gunsmith to work on a buddy's franken FAL. He's had issues with it. It shoots, just not very well. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. He's in southern PG county.

Thanks,

Q

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    All,

Looking for a gunsmith to work on a buddy's franken FAL. He's had issues with it. It shoots, just not very well. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. He's in southern PG county.

Thanks,

Q

If it's bad go with the best. Arizona reponse systems

May 13, 2005
    All,

Thanks,

Q

Can you provide a little more than "It shoots, just not very well"? I know a few folks that still run FALs, and I used to have and run one pretty hard too and did some work to it when I lived in AZ, but that's like saying my car just isn't driving quite right Lol...

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    My buddy told me the issue, the front sight is off. Works fine with a scope, but the iron sights are off. The front sight is evidently canted (off paper at 100 yds). Unfortunately, it was built on a questionable upper receiver (Hesse), by Enterprise Arms out of California. The question would be to move the front sight (possible gas port issues by moving it), or barrel adjustment (timing? which may cause issues with the operating rod/piston). Hence the need for a gunsmith, rather than a home workshop job.

I know about Hesse, and he was unaware of it until I pointed it out politely awhile back. He wants to get it fixed, but most if not all FAL gunsmiths won't touch a Hesse period.

Q

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    I wish your friend luck finding a local gunsmith familiar with the FAL. When I was looking around for someone to so much as even shorten a barrel for an unassembled kit I had no luck. The one shop I found that said they "could" do it would only do the barrel work if they assembled the entire rifle. Not what I was looking for as I had already purchased specialized tools and a DVD and manual combo from ARS to assemble myself. Not having specifics I would advise doing a search on the FALFILES prior to posting a request for advice. Some common problems require little more then tweaking. Of course if it's an issue with headspace or an out of spec upper receiver that's an entirely different story.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I used Arizona Expert Arms and couldnt be happier.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Yeah, I feel for him. I have a DSA, and no problems whatsoever. Just trying to help him out. I am about to say just spring for a new upper receiver from DSA, but due this being MD, no chance of that happening.

Q

May 13, 2005
    Ouch. Hesse. Ok, well beyond just being happy with the scoped performance, or taking a hit on money and selling it because it will be hard to get near FAL prices out of it.... but may be worth it, because that is probably just one issue of many he will encounter the longer he shoots a Hesse firearm. I had a Hesse FAL once and kept chasing issue after issue until I sold it to another FAL guy who was getting it for the spare parts lol.

Is the sight canted clockwise or counter-clock wise? And is it just the sight that is canted or the whole front end - piston and/or handguards off center compared to barrel ? First thought is the barrel is not properly screwed into the receiver, which may cause the front sight to be canted. I don't know of a gunsmith in MD that does FALs, but I would think one of the IPs here might take it on and do some exploratory surgery for a cost...

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    We need to see some pictures the early heese guns were made on imbel rec.

I'll try to get photos from him. The gun was assembled by Enterprise Arms on a Hesse receiver. They made FALs from parts kits on Hesse and Imbel receivers I believe.

Q

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Yeah, I feel for him. I have a DSA, and no problems whatsoever. Just trying to help him out. I am about to say just spring for a new upper receiver from DSA, but due this being MD, no chance of that happening.

Q

DSA is making FAL pistols now. That should allow for receivers to be sold in Maryland...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom