• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • minuit

Nov 10, 2015
    Frederick County
    Purchased my first handgun today. Very excited to pick it up and shoot after Christmas!

It's a Colt Talo Night Defender 1911 w/ a 3" barrel. I was between this and the Sig Sauer Ultra Compact 1911 with a 3.3" barrel.

The Sig was a little easier for me to work the slide lock but I really thought the Colt was beautiful and wasn't sure when I'd come across one again.

Attachments

• IMG_20151218_124113361.jpg
      IMG_20151218_124113361.jpg
      59 KB · Views: 335

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    "Not impressed by Colt pistols" - said by nobody ever.
    Very nice!! :thumbsup:

Ditto and congratulations. Now, if you don't already have it, get some training so you can use that beautiful new gun properly.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Congrats, although getting a baby .45 as a first gun is going to give you problems developing good trigger control considering the stouter recoil compared to a full size 1911 which itself is no slouch.

minuit

Nov 10, 2015
    Frederick County
    Congrats, although getting a baby .45 as a first gun is going to give you problems developing good trigger control considering the stouter recoil compared to a full size 1911 which itself is no slouch.

Hope it's not too bad, we'll see. I have smaller hands and the Colt & Sig, I was able to get the best grip on.

I also picked up a Ruger Mark III along with the Colt for cheap practice. Was happy to find out about the dealer promo exception that lets you buy 2 guns at once. Now just need to get a notary for collector status....

Other two handguns I would like to get is a Beretta 92G and a revolver.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    :thumbsup:

that's a beaut. If i ever get around to picking up a 1911, it may very well be a compact. I dig that thing!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Congradulations. Presuming that you men that you are new/ inexperienced with pistol shooting generallyn please don't be in a rush to give a shooting report on your Colt. Please show us your results from your Ruger Mark III , maybe tell us your good experiences with your experienced mentor, or maybe an IP instructor.

Like Photoracer sugguested, starting out with mini 1911 , would be akin to starting out w/ Chief Special revolver.

To mix metaphorse , some people probably learned to drive with a Corvette or first ride a KZ1000 and survived. The first "car" my FIL drove was a KW semi. But the best results are to learn fundaments with a somewhat user friendly, forgiving, easily controlable ( whatever ).

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Now just need to get a notary for collector status....
    QUOTE]

Congratulations on the new purchase.

Many UPS shipping stores have someone on staff there who is a notary. The one near me charges $4 to notarize a document. I use them all the time. You might want to check them out.

Cal68

thai

May 8, 2013
    I have only one 1911, among 15 handguns. It is the TTT model. I am very disappointed by it's propensity to FTF, and FTE. I sent it back once with instructions to Sig to polish feed ramps, they returned very quickly and claimEd all was good. ********. I will never purchase a Sig 1911 again. Now their P series pistols are top notch. My P226, P229, P220, and P230 has been accurate and drop dead reliable.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have only one 1911, among 15 handguns. It is the TTT model. I am very disappointed by it's propensity to FTF, and FTE. I sent it back once with instructions to Sig to polish feed ramps, they returned very quickly and claimEd all was good. ********. I will never purchase a Sig 1911 again. Now their P series pistols are top notch. My P226, P229, P220, and P230 has been accurate and drop dead reliable.

I have a TTT. I guarantee you didn't shoot it enough and didn't have it lubed well enough.
    Should have it broken in with 3-400 rounds of FMJ. I had some, but very few FTFs. I took it to Chad to do some trigger work and he also polished the ramp while he was "in there". Well the thing has been flawless for probably 2k rounds now. They do get dirty fast and I notice the slide will start to drag after while. But nothing a lot of lube doesn't take care of.

I'll give ya $300 for yours if you don't want it.
    This are all 10 yards out to 25. One of the best pistols I own.

Attachments

• 1911.jpg
      1911.jpg
      54.4 KB · Views: 149

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland

Problem here is you were telling trained handgun technicians what to do to the pistol. One should list the complaint, give as much related factual information as possible and let the trained personnel do their craft.

As an auto technician for over 40 years, I never follow a customer's diagnistic repair directives. I may consider the why's of their conclusion but it is my name on the ticket. I perform requested services, diagnose and repair complaints with information derived from testing and customer supplied information. As a smith at SIG, I would have done the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom