• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarylandWillWin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    Are they fun? ergos, recoil
    Reasonably accurate? I'm not a marksman.

It appeals to me, like a Mini-30 or M1A, but a bit cheaper, and with old school good looks. Plus I've read they can consume the cheap ammo.

I just wanted to know if anyone regularly uses theirs, or if these are better left to collectors.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Don't shoot it a whole lot, but my Chinese SKS is fun, fairly accurate with cheap ammo and very little recoil.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    No SKS expert, but fun, not ammo picky, easy recoil and relatively accurate.

I only have a Yugo and a Chinese.

LOP is a little short and awkward and stock seems chunky. I have been thinking about Tech sights for one of them.

PS I take one out to the range maybe 4 or 5 times a year. Maybe 75 rounds per trip.

Last edited:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Best thing since peanut butter and jelly in the same jar.

A world class, durable, reliable, and well priced battle rifle.

Can't be beat and cheap ammo too.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Buy a very good to excellent condition rifle if you're not a tinkerer.

Stay away from the bottom of the barrel types and gunsmith specials.

While they can be made serviceable, they are often times mismatched, damaged, or pretty beat up.

Have fun.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    As they say* стрелять в них, jim ustrelil, 射击他们

*Depending on the flavor of SKS you pickup.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    I shoot one a few times a year. I have one that I've run several thousand rounds through. I have to admit though, I have both my shooters and my safe queens. Definitely my go to plinker (if you can go plinking with a 30 cal round) when not shooting .22

May 13, 2005
    Shooting them seems a bit cruel, even for the Chinese ones. I prefer to beat them with a stick and verbally berate them for not being more like their AK brother..

sandeman

Jun 19, 2008
    Pasadena
    I own a AK and a mosin.The Russian guns work out in the field.My brother has a east German SKS.I think it has a head space problem. He is happy just to own one.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Lots of fun, slim and compact to carry around well, they can be fairly accurate and soft shooting too, good rifle to plink around, easy to shoot from sandbags or prone, loading with strippers is fun and quick, and the built-in bayonet is cool. Don't expect it to be an AK, or try to turn it into one, and enjoy it for what it is.

MarylandWillWin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    Shooting them seems a bit cruel, even for the Chinese ones. I prefer to beat them with a stick and verbally berate them for not being more like their AK brother..

Ha! Let me know if you have any luck reforming them.

Lots of fun, slim and compact to carry around well, they can be fairly accurate and soft shooting too, good rifle to plink around, loading with strippers is fun and quick. Don't expect it to be an AK, or try to turn it into one, and enjoy it for what it is.

I like the M1/M14/Mini14/30/M1A stylings. I promise that if I obtain one, I will not turn it into a bubbAK.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I was regularly shooting mine up til about 2 years ago, put around 2000 rounds through it without any problems. Since I bought a vz2008 I don't take the SKS out nearly as often.

It's a good reliable rifle, somewhat heavy for the 7.62x39 cartridge, which keeps recoil down. My vz needed a good muzzle brake to become as soft shooting as the SKS. I'd say the SKS has fair accuracy, the vz is better.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Ha! Let me know if you have any luck reforming them.

I like the M1/M14/Mini14/30/M1A stylings. I promise that if I obtain one, I will not turn it into a bubbAK.

Outside of the issues with many tacticool parts that are not well made or reliable for the SKS, it's a completely different animal than the AK designed for a different purpose and different tactics, kinda like trying to turn an M1 garand into an M14. Marylanders kinda sorta get a pass being AK's are banned and SKSs are not, but if you want a big detachable mag and pistol grip/folding stock, an AK (or VZ58) is a much better way to go. Used to be SKSs were dirt cheap, and plentiful where AK's were more expensive, before everyone started building AKs and SKS stockpiles dried up.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I have a bunch of them but haven't shot them in years. They are decently accurate and generally 100% reliable. For some reason, I really enjoy owning them but have no interest in shooting them. One of the nice things is that they come in so many flavors being that so many countries produced them. There is variation within each country too. For example, here's a 1951 "as issued" (that means it was never arsenal reworked) made by Tula:

A 1954 Tula as issued with a 1952 Tula light rework (they only replaced the stock):

And a 1954 Izhevsk as issued:

All of the above are Soviet yet there is significant variation among them all. When you get into SKS's built by other countries, the variation continues. They used to be very cheap so you could buy a bunch of them and have fun looking at all the flavors but prices are rising unfortunately. If you are new to these, I highly recommend buying ones that are 100% matching and never reworked. They will be commanding premium prices in just a very few years.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a bunch of them but haven't shot them in years. They are decently accurate and generally 100% reliable. For some reason, I really enjoy owning them but have no interest in shooting them. One of the nice things is that they come in so many flavors being that so many countries produced them. There is variation within each country too. For example, here's a 1951 "as issued" (that means it was never arsenal reworked) made by Tula:

A 1954 Tula as issued with a 1952 Tula light rework (they only replaced the stock):

And a 1954 Izhevsk as issued:

All of the above are Soviet yet there is significant variation among them all. When you get into SKS's built by other countries, the variation continues. They used to be very cheap so you could buy a bunch of them and have fun looking at all the flavors but prices are rising unfortunately. If you are new to these, I highly recommend buying ones that are 100% matching and never reworked. They will be commanding premium prices in just a very few years.

Mother of God. Those are great rifles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom