• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I grew up in new market it is a nice area also. I currently live on myersville and would recommend that it middletown.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    We've been looking there too. We're coming from the northern anne arundel county area.

New Market is nice. Your school choices are Oakdale or Linganore depending on where you live. Frederick City is very close and there are 4 shooting ranges within minutes of New Market.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    What about the Linganore/New Market Area. What are the pros and cons of living in the area near the lake?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    What about the Linganore/New Market Area. What are the pros and cons of living in the area near the lake?

Big neighborhood, access to lake and the pool. Roads were cheap not sure if any better. Don't get much property with most of the lots.

I grew up 5 mins from there, generally nice area.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    My brother and his family live in New Market. They like it there a lot. I just recently moved to Fredneck, off Rosemont (city taxes, ugh) from MoCo and so far so good. Plus a 10 minute commute as opposed to a 45 minute reverse commute works for me as well. My boss lives in Sharpsburg and she and her family like it, not sure if that’s too far or not.

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    There is too much development in Frederick, to try to figure out where we'll be. Most likely Fredrick will get more expensive and less pleasant over time they are building on every patch without investing in any real infrastructure, they leave that to the tax payers...
    They are building in other counties, and in Virginia but not as much. TV was just saying Lauden county has the lowest crime in northern Virginia. I am pretty sure they have good schools.
    I am sure the crime in Frederick is increasing and will increase more over time, the number of panhadlers in Frederick has increased ten fold over the last six years I have been here.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Middletown, Jefferson, Braddock Heights are good.

There are small developments and houses between towns. Look between Frederick and Point of Rocks.
    Stay away from anywhere within 5 miles of Rt. 40.
    True downtown Frederick need Baker Park or the college is really nice.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    My wife felt the same way but we ended up in Carroll County near Union Bridge. She now has a whole different attitude about rural in that she loves it. Frederick has a lot going on that she will enjoy. As has been mentioned, Gettysburg is not that far away from Frederick. If I could do it over again north or west of Gettysburg would be my choice.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    They are building in other counties, and in Virginia but not as much. TV was just saying Lauden county has the lowest crime in northern Virginia. I am pretty sure they have good schools.

Loudon County has become one of the most wealthy counties in the USA...and one of the highest tax rates to go with it. Just a heads up.

Middletown, Jefferson, Braddock Heights are good.

There are small developments and houses between towns. Look between Frederick and Point of Rocks.
    Stay away from anywhere within 5 miles of Rt. 40.
    True downtown Frederick need Baker Park or the college is really nice.

If you live with Frederick City limits (and there are very nice neighborhoods in Frederick like around Baker Park)...you have personal property taxes to pay to the city. Another heads up.

Most nice areas of Frederick County have been getting developed. Jefferson used to be a sleepy little village...no more. The same goes for Middletown. I live in Braddock Heights. When my family first came here, Braddock was small...the roads were narrow and difficult for two cars to pass one another without putting one set of tires on the shoulder...no more...lots of development. The flat areas have been built on...what's being developed in Braddock now is all on heavily sloping ground that will be difficult to deal with in winter.

I'm not trying to talk you out of living here...just trying to explain some pitfalls. Some areas have homes built very cheaply...examine them carefully. In one area outside of Middletown that was built in the 1970s many homeowners nearest Route 40-A placed large pictures of lemons all over their homes to warn potential buyers. The builder had to take them to court to get them to take the lemons down.

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    I love living in downtown Frederick. We're in the Baker Park/Hood College area. During summer months there's events going on in Baker Park practically every weekend. It's a great place to walk around and bike. It takes us 10 minutes to walk to Market Street if we feel like going out for dinner or drinks but far enough away to not be a constant temptation.

As mentioned earlier, it would probably be best to avoid buying off Rt. 40west/Key Parkway(Golden Mile area). I'd also add South Street to that list too. Nowhere is immune to crime but those areas seem to pop up more often in the local news. Our neighborhood pretty much only has people that periodically walk around pulling on car door handles looking for unlocked doors.

If I didn't live in Frederick, I'd probably look towards Mt. Airy mostly b/c it'd be 20 minutes closer to work.

ETA: Our property taxes did nearly double when we moved from the county to the city for a smaller house and less land.

Fredcohunter

Nov 30, 2008
    A little west of Frederick
    I have a Frederick mailing address and live between Braddock Heights and Jefferson. Kids go to school in Middletown. I grew up in Frederick, moved to Poolesville for a few years then moved back. I agree with everything TheOriginalMexican said however I think the Middletown schools are great and all our kids are doing well. The school district was our primary consideration.

There are nice older well built houses to be had but costs are definitely higher. We bought a house built in the mid 80's, all brick and built with actual wood...... I feel like its the best compromise all around. Close to Frederick for convenience, good schools and I get to live in the woods with only a few neighboring houses.

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    I'm thinking about relocation to Frederick Co. My wife is not interested in moving to any rural areas, but still wants to stay within easy access to Frederick City, and of course she wants good schools for our children. What areas should we avoid, and which areas are good.

If you must stay in close proximity to Frederick (in Maryland), and want good schools. I'd suggest Washington County, as someone else said, specifically Boonsboro. Boonsboro has blue ribbon schools. If you and your wife do not like Boonsboro, I'd also suggest Smithsburg as a second recommendation.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    The OP wants to live near Frederick. Why does everyone suggest great places that are not in the OP's specifics? I live in Washington County also and love it, BUT I did not suggest it as I feel I would just be making useless noise the OP is not asking for. Plus its a two mountain hop to get to Frederick city, if they work there. Even longer if they are working in Columbia, which has not been stated that I could see.

Not trying to start an argument, but answer the mans questions which what he asked for. Besides, there is already enough people in Washington County for me already. :D

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    The OP wants to live near Frederick. Why does everyone suggest great places that are not in the OP's specifics? I live in Washington County also and love it, BUT I did not suggest it as I feel I would just be making useless noise the OP is not asking for. Plus its a two mountain hop to get to Frederick city, if they work there. Even longer if they are working in Columbia, which has not been stated that I could see.

Not trying to start an argument, but answer the mans questions which what he asked for. Besides, there is already enough people in Washington County for me already. :D

LOLOLOL. :lol2::lol2::lol2:

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I live in Middletown-- lot's of variation in the types of property and home sizes available. "Middletown" is fairly rural and that term has a good size catchment area and variation in density of neighborhoods. Schools are good... generally a 10-15 minute ride to Frederick City via alt. 40 or 70E. I commute to Ft Detrick everyday and it's 20-25 minutes consistantly. Myersville has a nice Trap range about 10 minutes away and I noticed some nice clean properties up for sale there as well. TMGN is a 20 min. commute for me and I shoot there quite often--great range and good people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom