Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old October 3rd, 2019, 03:13 PM #1

Weather change

With the weather change here coming tomorrow. If you could only hunt 1. Would you rather hunt Fri evening or Sat Morning? My stand is on a field edge next to an oat field that is next to standing corn. In a perfect world I'd hunt both times, but got to much going on right now so I can only hunt one or the other. Which time would you guys hunt?
GSuders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 03:16 PM #2

Do you have a little more time if you choose the Morning hunt?

If so, I'd go with that. Sunset is getting pretty early, particularly if it's overcast like today.
PJDiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 03:45 PM #3

Depends have you figured their bedding and feeding areas. In other words you can sometimes ambush a "night owl" heading to bed late. Other times you could hope that one or a few are ready to hit the buffet a bit early.

One place I only hunted in the AM into mid afternoons.

Now being a bit more lazy I usually hunt evenings and concentrate on food sources.

I went to the local dump today around noon. On the way saw several feeding near the roads in a more upscale neighborhood. So anytime is good.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 04:18 PM #4

Not enough info to make an educated decision. Flip a coin?

In all seriousness, all else equal, I would do the PM hunt, as it is easier to sneak in and setup quieter in sunlight.
Veblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 04:54 PM #5

Really depends on when the deer are moving at that location. At my house they are almost always bedded down by morning and start moving about 3 hours before dark. At my cousin's house they usually aren't bedded down until around 9am and don't start moving until just before dark. Having more time in the stand means nothing if the deer aren't moving much at that time.
jtb81100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 05:54 PM #6

Deer seem to be on the morning cycle now.
dist1646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 06:28 PM #7

My herd feeds now.
ToBeFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2019, 07:19 AM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb81100 View Post
Really depends on when the deer are moving at that location. At my house they are almost always bedded down by morning and start moving about 3 hours before dark. At my cousin's house they usually aren't bedded down until around 9am and don't start moving until just before dark. Having more time in the stand means nothing if the deer aren't moving much at that time.
Since moving and having tons of deer near me Iíve learned deer have patterns and itís up to the individual deer or herd what the pattern is. It also changes. At my salt lick and corn piles I almost always get the herd moving through morning and evening. But some mornings itís 10-20 minutes before dawn. Sometimes itís 2 hours after dawn. They come through every evening, but sometimes itís 2.5hrs before sunset, other times itís a few minutes till last shooting light.

Half the days theyíll come through earlier in the day, like 2-4pm and then come back again around 6-7pm. Iíll also get loners or small numbers through in the middle of the night a bit more than half the time. I think the only times Iíve seen no deer is from about 9am till 1:30pm. Or at least not since this summer.

But at another spot on my property I do occasionally see deer walking through in the woods or on a neighborís property at 10 or 11am. Sometimes I can tell itís ďmy herdĒ whoíve just moves on and are walking by over there.

It might be they move around more and/or change things up more because they are living in/near a rural neighborhood versus a farm/wilderness. So they get disrupted by people and dogs and stuff more messing up their routine. Donít quite know. I do have my trail cam out in my back woods trying to spot my bucks and pattern them. Every few weeks Iíve seen a BIG 8 point, a smaller one and some 4, 5 and 6 points every couple/few weeks. Donít come to my salt lick or corn though. At least not yet.

Meet and talked to my back yard neighbor yesterday. Really nice guy. He hunts the shore and is just fine with me hunting the back woods near our properties and retrieving off his if I need to. I showed him the picture of the big boy and heís seen him down in the woods a few times. Thinks heís about 170 when heís dressed out.

I was a little nervous asking them about hunting back there and his wife yells for her husband and I just think ďoh, well crap. This isnít goin to go wellĒ.

He shows me his den thatís CRAMMED with WT and Sika mounts, Geese, etc.

Anyway, good luck. My limited experience is, if youíve got more time, Hunt the evening and setup by 2. If youíve got less time, Hunt morning and be setup by half an hour before first light and hunt till at least 2 1/2hrs last first light. My guys are slightly more likely to come by in the evenings (they skip rare mornings, never skipped an evening), in larger numbers usually (all 8 or 9 most evenings, sometimes only 3 or 4 in the mornings, other times all of them). More likely to stick around longer. Also more likely to come by with more light. Hard to retrieve though if they take an arrow 20 minutes before sunset and I wait 45 minutes to find it.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports