Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 28th, 2019, 10:36 AM #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeryrob View Post
Shot a doe last year with a 30-06 SST round and it broke the front leg, went in one side of the heart and opened the far side like a flower. You'd think she would have collapsed right there. No, she ran like her Azz was on fire 40 yards before falling.

What you would expect them to do, won't happen!

In my experience,deer shot through the heart with a bullet almost always run in a panic as hard as they can.Usually not far,but once had a buck someone else had shot it in the butt,make it almost 100 yrds. after a 270 Core Lok totally shreaded its heart.
remrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2019, 12:07 PM #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by remrug View Post
Reminds me of a doe i shot with an arrow,a perfect broadside double lung.It ran 50 yrds straight ahead,then made a 90 to the right went 75 yrds then double backed for 40 yrds made another 90 to the right ,went 40 yrds,crossed a road and died right on the shoulder of the road.So....not an easy find

There was a really good blood trail all the way,but it took me at least an hour to figure out the doe had doubled back.It was dark by that time and a shitty flashlight wasnt helping much.I was surprised she made it that far with a sharp broadhead thru both lungs.I was happy that someone didnt pick her up after laying there all that time.
I got my truck and gutted her using the headlights and drug her to the back of the truck.....easy peasy
Welp, this mornings deer was 18yds away at my salt lick. Shot a bit low. Plus one for lighted nocks. I am glad I took the advice. Saw the arrow zip out and was sticking out by its lungs. So helped me better gauge a good bit. Tucked it’s leg up and went tearing and falling down towards my creek almost straight ahead. Waited 20 minutes and my younger son helped me find the blood trail and where I had hit it (I found it in the grass easy, but he found where it had been hit standing on the meadow and leaves).

Went about 80yds or so. From the blood, it looks like it thought better of either jumping the creek or heading one direction on a deer trail, turned around and headed the other direction on the trail by the creek and dropped. Found a fair amount of blood 5 or 6yds from her. Looked puddled like she stood there for a second. No way she would have made it across the creek if she’d tried, but it would have been 9 kinds of a B to get her out right there (drops 5ft to the creek bed).

Gotta do better accounting for where the leg is when they are bent over feeding. Arrow smashed the upper leg, tore through the ribs and I think hitting the leg cause the arrow to plane forward, as she was directly broadside, but the arrow went through her at an angle. Anyway, only a single lung hit and barely pushed out the other side of the hide. Shredded the front lobe of the one lung and ripped a nasty hole in the opposite hide. Anyway, really should have aimed either a few inches further back and/or slightly higher. Always worried about shooting too far back and gut shooting one. My shots also almost always end up being pretty far forward lung, or heart shots.

Of course in revenge she smashed the arrow in 3 pieces and the arrow head was mysteriously missing from the end of the arrow. It wasn’t inside of her.

Lighted nock was still working. So I guess that’s reusable.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 05:42 PM #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry14 View Post
In my experience they always run to the deepest ravine on the farthest corner of my property. Usually when it's raining or snow covered..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yessss, so true.
CaptainAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2019, 12:55 AM #34

In my experience and I haven't killed a whole lot of deer, maybe 20 or so. But none of them ran uphill or through the thickest brush after the shot, they always took the path of least resistance. As a matter of fact, I've killed some deer that didn't bleed much, but I just walked the path of least resistance and found them.
Dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2019, 11:18 AM #35

I've only taken about 20 deer, too and in my experience, they try to run downhill and into cover if possible. I think this is where the "they run to water" notion comes from, since a creek bed is generally downhill and heavily vegetated. They also normally run in the direction they are already facing since it's a panicked run. If you hurt one of their front shoulders, they will often arc towards that side. But deer are all individuals and the shot placement affects everything. The one thing I've read that seems to be true is that if you get a really good heart/lung shot, they will kick high with their back legs before running. That seems to be an involuntary spasm and I always interpret it as a good sign that the animal will be down quickly, suffer little, and be easy to recover. Definitely get written permission to recover deer as needed, as others have mentioned.
Derwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2019, 04:48 PM #36
GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)

I'd think they'd head to where they feel safe. So, I'd say the woods, but you never can tell....
ralph.mclean is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports