• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldNavyVet

Mar 1, 2018
    Charles County
    :goodpost:

Nowadays, it's revolvers that are foreign to many handgunners.

Revolvers ARE foreign to this guy and usually I skip over the topic as I have no interest in them. But as OP and all have pointed out there is the potential for mistakes even by seasoned shooters. Headed to range this afternoon and if time allows may rent a revolver to try.

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    Thank you for sharing your story. It’s a great topic for shooters not accustomed to revolvers. You probably saved someone from a painful learning experience.
    It also reminds me to spend a little more time on revolvers during instruction, and to go shoot my Blackhawk.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This is the flip side of back in the day revolver shooters getting their hands mangled by reciprocating slides .

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Both burned and blown apart many sandbags with my 44 Mag and 454 Casull. Shooting at 100 yds I prefer the bags, but now I’m careful to select bags that are in better condition. Even with my bottom hand mostly on the bags & not any part of the gun, the cylinder blast (especially from the Raging Bull) can hurt the bag. It cleans the table off pretty well too, papers, spent shells, turret caps, you name it. OP, thanks for sharing your story. Even experienced wheelgunners can use a reminder from time to time. Glad you’re okay as well.

JUst what I was doing....shooting at 100 yds when I was using the bags (I have a Nikon 2-1/2 x 8 scope on it).

Thanks. I was pretty careful overall shooting resting the barrel on the bags with my hands resting on another bag while gripping the stock. I just failed to notice that I allowed the barrel to move up the bag until it was nearly touching the yoke. It made me also have concern for my idea of using a shooting stick for deer hunting with the 460 to help with longer ranges.

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    Thank you for being willing to share your experience. You are correct in your self assessment and your candor is appreciated. All of us no matter how dilligent can use the occasional reminder. As with many adventurous hobbies this sport is about managing risk, and remaining dilligent in your safety practices. I am very glad you werent seriously hurt by the lesson.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If I didn't mention it , be careful of the b/c . A friend once wasn't careful enough with his Creedmore position, and made a very dramatic 3rd degree burn on his leg with a .357 .
    What's the "b/c"? Something other than cylinder gap? Looked up Creedmoor position, so can see how the leg might be exposed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Barrel / Cylnder gap .

Revolver Guy terminology .
    Ah, thanks, buddy. We should go shoot revolvers together sometime. I'm slowly accumulating some semi-interesting ones. Eventually going to get a Triple Lock too, I think.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Aw man !

I once upon a decade had an opportunity for a Canadian Contract , period converted to .45 Colt . It was a decent price at the time , but couldn't quite swing it . I fear that was my last, best , chance at a Triple Lock.

I did find a niche with aftermarket nickled 2nd Models .

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    I use both grips depending on the size of the revolver. On a small snub-nose, I'll cross my thumbs behind the hammer because there's barely enough room for my support hand as it is. On the larger guns, I can have both thumbs "forward", but bent at the knuckle to keep them away from the gap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom