• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I lived in WV for about 5 years. Real estate taxes were low, but sales tax on all food, and personal property on almost everything was really stupid. In the county I lived in personal property tax was 8.5%. Had to pay for cats, livestock, computers, boats, airplanes, swimming pools and on and on. I still had my airplane then. I registered it to a Delaware Corp to hide it, otherwise the tax on it would have been about $8500 a year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Damn, which county was that?
    We don't get hit as high or on nearly as many things as you did.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Damn, which county was that?
    We don't get hit as high or on nearly as many things as you did.

Yeah, sounded odd to me. Never had PP taxes on pets in Kanawha and never knew anyone who owned an airplane that paid that much in PP taxes. Pocahontas was cheap when I lived there. Paid PP on my car and that was it.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I was just looking on Zillow at property in Wyoming County. I think dollar for dollar, it's going to be difficult to beat WV for a retirement home. I can pay cash for just about any home I'd like, and my monthly retirement will go much further than almost anywhere else. However, I still don't like the PP tax on everything I own or the taxing of my retirement.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I was just looking on Zillow at property in Wyoming County. I think dollar for dollar, it's going to be difficult to beat WV for a retirement home. I can pay cash for just about any home I'd like, and my monthly retirement will go much further than almost anywhere else. However, I still don't like the PP tax on everything I own or the taxing of my retirement.

My home in Denver has increased by $160,000 in the three years I've been here. I keep telling the wife we should sell, take that $160,000 plus whatever equity we have in it, buy land outright in West Virginia and set up a homestead to live off our land.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

Wyoming County is beautiful. The whole Guyan Valley is especially pretty in the fall. The old Ittman store is another building I've considered for my distillery, but it's too far removed from highways to work for the business plan.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Wyoming County is beautiful. The whole Guyan Valley is especially pretty in the fall. The old Ittman store is another building I've considered for my distillery, but it's too far removed from highways to work for the business plan.

I agree, Wyoming County would not be a good place for your business. Not a lot of good infrastructure for that business. Highways are almost nonexistent. But I bet you could get a lot of state funding if you were able to employee 15-20 people.

I was talking to family during the Christmas season and found out one of my wife's relatives now lives within throwing distance of the Cranberry Store which you've shown interest in.

Small world!

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Great article. Mimics my experiences as well - not just in WV but here in rural VA, NC, IN, OH, PA - luckily, most of America is like this.

Rural places everywhere are like that, even outside the US. It's a whole different experience than in cities. Despite living further apart, rural communities are much tighter knit. I'm glad I grew up out in the sticks.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    we should sell, , buy land outright in West Virginia and set up a homestead to live off our land.

lot more elk in colo! can't you get a ways away from denver and get pretty much the same thing (as wv) for the same money? i think colo has wv easily beat from an outdoors perspective though wv is no slouch in that area.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I agree, Wyoming County would not be a good place for your business. Not a lot of good infrastructure for that business. Highways are almost nonexistent. But I bet you could get a lot of state funding if you were able to employee 15-20 people.

I was talking to family during the Christmas season and found out one of my wife's relatives now lives within throwing distance of the Cranberry Store which you've shown interest in.

Small world!

It gets even smaller in WV for sure! My mom just went in for knee replacement surgery in Charleston yesterday. Goes into prep for a saddle block so that she doesn't have to go under general anesthesia and the anesthesiologist turns out to be a good friend of hers. She didn't realize that she worked at that particular hospital. Meanwhile, her PT is a classmate of my sister's from high school.

lot more elk in colo! can't you get a ways away from denver and get pretty much the same thing (as wv) for the same money? i think colo has wv easily beat from an outdoors perspective though wv is no slouch in that area.

Colorado may have more elk for now, but give it 10 years. Those old MTR and strip mine sites have proven to be a boon for elk populations. Add in the fact that they've been naturally migrating across the Tug Fork from KY for over a decade now and I have a feeling we'll see elk permit lottos starting before too much longer. I'd say somewhere in the next 5 or so years is the time to start an outfitting service in the southern part of the state. Buy an old strip/MTR site that nobody else wants. Put a nice big lodge, or several "sportsman's cabins" on it around a central log house, plant sorghum, switchgrass, millet, and corn and stock pheasants, quail, and chukar for the upland shooters while offering guided whitetail hunts to get your reputation built up so that when elk season finally does come, you've got a clientele list and the infrastructure to do the elk hunt experience for half the money and a shorter flight time. Elk Springs already does this to some extent with guided grouse hunts and fly fishing for native and rainbow trout.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country

The firearm laws in Colorado are getting pretty sucky, while WV is going the opposite way and becoming more free in that realm.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    It gets even smaller in WV for sure! My mom just went in for knee replacement surgery in Charleston yesterday. Goes into prep for a saddle block so that she doesn't have to go under general anesthesia and the anesthesiologist turns out to be a good friend of hers. She didn't realize that she worked at that particular hospital. Meanwhile, her PT is a classmate of my sister's from high school.

Colorado may have more elk for now, but give it 10 years. Those old MTR and strip mine sites have proven to be a boon for elk populations. Add in the fact that they've been naturally migrating across the Tug Fork from KY for over a decade now and I have a feeling we'll see elk permit lottos starting before too much longer. I'd say somewhere in the next 5 or so years is the time to start an outfitting service in the southern part of the state. Buy an old strip/MTR site that nobody else wants. Put a nice big lodge, or several "sportsman's cabins" on it around a central log house, plant sorghum, switchgrass, millet, and corn and stock pheasants, quail, and chukar for the upland shooters while offering guided whitetail hunts to get your reputation built up so that when elk season finally does come, you've got a clientele list and the infrastructure to do the elk hunt experience for half the money and a shorter flight time. Elk Springs already does this to some extent with guided grouse hunts and fly fishing for native and rainbow trout.

I believe there are plans to start reintroducing elk to my area of the state in the near future. I hope it is true and is followed through with. Where my property is on Mt. Porte Crayon is near where the last endiginous elk in this state was taken.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Colorado is being Califonicated just like other Western states. The liberals fleeing their failed policies in California want to spread their left wing failed policies to other states. Look at NV for example.

No where to run. No where to hide.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Where my property is on Mt. Porte Crayon is near where the last indigenous elk in this state was taken.

You aren't kidding about being in the highlands! Doesn't get much higher than that.

I think they've seen promising results with the first year (or is it two) of the herd that they released down in the coalfields, so I'm sure they're looking to seed other herds in the state as well.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Colorado is being Califonicated just like other Western states. The liberals fleeing their failed policies in California want to spread their left wing failed policies to other states. Look at NV for example.

No where to run. No where to hide.

Western Montana has also been lost. The rich from California for some reason think that they need to own as much of western Montana as they can. Then of course, bring all of their nonsense along with them.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I believe there are plans to start reintroducing elk to my area of the state in the near future. I hope it is true and is followed through with. Where my property is on Mt. Porte Crayon is near where the last endiginous elk in this state was taken.

how friggin cool is that! do you have a news source or link or whatever i can follow to get any updates?

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province

Spruce Knob/Seneca Rocks/Dolly Sods and all that National Forest land would be an excellent spot.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom