Defensive Pistol course for May/June 2018?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Does anyone know of a Defensive Pistol course (1 or two day) for the months of May or June? I live in north central MD so 2 hours or so drive each way all points of the compass would work. Thanks in advance...

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Does anyone know of a Defensive Pistol course (1 or two day) for the months of May or June? I live in north central MD so 2 hours or so drive each way all points of the compass would work. Thanks in advance...

Check FPF Training and Green Ops. Both are in Culpeper, VA, and I typically get there on a weekend AM in just under 2 hours from Timonium, a little longer on the return trip.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Check FPF Training and Green Ops. Both are in Culpeper, VA, and I typically get there on a weekend AM in just under 2 hours from Timonium, a little longer on the return trip.

Thanks. The Culpepper Green Ops class is about 2.5-3hrs away but manageable, especially since your blog speaks of a great experience (you're a decent writer dude!). I'll have to ask if the defensive pistol II class scheduled for June requires the DP 1 class as a prerequisite (that class is this weekend, which I can't make).

I'll have to reach out to FPF, as the website isn't clear on what classes on DP will be offered in VA this year, all I am seeing are concealed carry at the moment.

Thanks for responding. Note PeaceMaker in WV is offering a class in June, albeit an intro class (you seem pretty advanced), and a competition pistol class in May. I'm likely to take both...

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Thanks. The Culpepper Green Ops class is about 2.5-3hrs away but manageable, especially since your blog speaks of a great experience (you're a decent writer dude!). I'll have to ask if the defensive pistol II class scheduled for June requires the DP 1 class as a prerequisite (that class is this weekend, which I can't make).

I'll have to reach out to FPF, as the website isn't clear on what classes on DP will be offered in VA this year, all I am seeing are concealed carry at the moment.

Thanks for responding. Note PeaceMaker in WV is offering a class in June, albeit an intro class (you seem pretty advanced), and a competition pistol class in May. I'm likely to take both...

Thanks for the kind words.

My understanding with Green Ops is they're okay with people taking more advanced classes with them if they've got prior, vetted experience with other instructors. Not sure what experience you've had.

For FPF, try this:

https://www.fpftraining.com/products/foundation-skills

There are others later in the year that might be good for you, too, like Street Encounter Skills or the class with Spencer Keepers in September.

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to knock out bulls at 25 yards, FPF is not the place. But Murphy can teach you, in his classes, all about the handgun as part of a greater package that includes verbal skills, less-lethal options, etc.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My understanding with Green Ops is they're okay with people taking more advanced classes with them if they've got prior, vetted experience with other instructors. Not sure what experience you've had.
    This is definitely true. They let me into the upcoming low light pistol class despite being slightly short on the training requirement, probably because I had taken another class with them and had already evaluated me as "unlikely to kill self or others unintentionally". (Keep an eye out for the AAR!)

Unfortunately, Green Ops doesn't have any foundation defensive pistol classes until the October timeframe, which is when they run another round of Defensive Pistol I. I'm planning on being at that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom