MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    That chorus sure sounds familiar.
    Congrats on the Krag! Like a Garand and 1903 Springfield a Krag is a must-have. And while is served for such a short interval there are plenty of variations to collect if you decide to go deep.

Jul 1, 2012
    No, it was Army Air Forces (USAAF).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Air_Forces

There were a lot of Royal Air Force as well.

The point is, the camps were full of Luftgangster.

Interesting and confusing, it was actually both.
    The US Army Air Corps begat the USAAF in 1941...

"The Air Corps ceased to have an administrative structure after 9 March 1942, but as "the permanent statutory organization of the air arm, and the principal component of the Army Air Forces," the overwhelming majority of personnel assigned to the AAF were members of the Air Corps."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Air_Corps

If the original question was how Hogan managed to retain his immaculate leather flight jacket and "crush" cap (and the prisoners weren't all dirty and emaciated), well, it's TV. :innocent0

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Nope, it was a Krag.

He said "Also"

There has been posts on other forums mentioning a single episode where he had a Springfield 1903 in his hands. I have not seen any pics yet but tend to believe it as the way that props were handled back then.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    C&R is often tickled with a bit of trivia and history all mixed in. Part of what interests me to C&R.
    Here is something worth watching on John Banner. Interesting life he had.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I was a bit hesitant to refer to the song, because it is pretty offensive to Filipinos, and Filipinos have been important contributors to this forum since the early days. So my apologies to any who may be offended.

It is an interesting song, though, and a notable part of Krag history. The song was banned by the Army, by the way.

After acquiring the Spanish colony in 1898, there was a question of what to do with the islands. We had previously announced our intention to establish Cuban independence, but had made no such promise regarding Puerto Rico or the Philippines. Naval power was entirely dependent on the ability to resupply ships with coal from secure bases. Those steamships burned massive mountains of coal. We could not operate a navy in East Asian waters without secure coaling stations.

So President McKinley announced that he would seek divine guidance, and after a night of fervent prayer, he declared that the US would keep the Philippines, in order to "civilize, Christianize, and uplift the Filipinos."

This surprised the Filipinos, who thought they had been civilized since time immemorial, had been Christian for centuries, and had not realized they needed further uplifting.

Anyway, that is the reason for the "civilize 'em with a Krag" line.

The original was a Civil War song about Union troops liberating Southern POW camps:

Tramp, tramp, tramp the boys are marching;
    Cheer up comrades they will come!
    And beneath the starry flag we will breathe the air again
    In the free land of our own beloved home.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Not sure but in all my years I don't think I have ever seen any boxes of unused surplus ammo for the Krag. I guess it got all used up in the 50's and dumped for pennies at Sunny's Surplus!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    When I want a little Krag fix I pop the made for TV movie "Rough Riders" in the DVD player. John Milius (Conan the Barbarian, The Wind and the Lion, Red Dawn, ...) wrote and directed it and he's a stickler for accuracy when it comes to firearms and accoutrements. The Krag plays a prominent part along with the Colt-Browning 1895 Potato Digger and Winchester 1895.
    A YouTube clip of the training portion of the movie.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    so, I had taken the Krag out and shot onto paper at 50 yards with the Winchester ammo, man this stuff sucked 4" @50 yards. I acquired some remington hunting ammo and it was much better 2" @50 yards. (still high left) I know the gun can do better and I have a reloading thread on it. once I get to 2" @ 50 yards or less, who knows what the gun can do cause I am not going to be able to shoot much better than that anyway w/o optics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom