• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Currently setup over some acorns and sign in my third tree of the day, but no deer to be found for me yet on public at BARC and Meade.

Well unless you count the little buck hanging out in the BARC wildlife offices parking lot while we all got our permits - no joke.

I did find the largest and thickest section of sticker bushes I've ever encountered today, so I know where to avoid at least.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last time i hunted with my dad, last time he hunted period. He found the ankle high log in the swamp and went barrel first into the mud. Had to pull out my towel, cut it to size, take off his barrel, and clean his gun with a stick and a towel lol

AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    Last time i hunted with my dad, last time he hunted period. He found the ankle high log in the swamp and went barrel first into the mud. Had to pull out my towel, cut it to size, take off his barrel, and clean his gun with a stick and a towel lol
    I don't know if my ol electrical tape the barrel trick would work for a wipe out like that.

PS - these squirrels are lucky it isn't open season on them here. Between them and acorns dropping everywhere I'd be launching my small game heads at them willy billy at this point. Don't they know they keep making me think they are deer?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Had one in the scope that was just a little too far. Headed back to the truck to help #1 son drag out his doe. I love getting one in the freezer early. Now we can go back to crabbing for a while.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Butchering a deer is easy once you have the setup.

One deer's fee at the processor and it's all paid for in my experience. $50 grinder works great on 3 deer a year, but not 20. Knives and cooler are already in your house. $25 hoist in the garage to skin it.

Sure, it might be a tiny bit more tender if it hangs a week in a walk in, but most good processor shops are way too busy for that.

Lol, yea it is once you have the knowledge how. It’s a bit intimidating till you’ve done it. I read a bit about, since I’m old and we didn’t have YouTube back then. But nothing like it till you actually slice in to a carcass and get your hands bloody.

I’m glad I got in hunting with a buddies family right away. Between his brothers, his dad, and what we shot ourselves, it was common to have a bunch hanging at the same time. One season was enough for me to learn how, skinning, separating the muscle groups, trimming, and everything else.

You find out quick that the right knife/knives make the task so much easier. Something comfortable in your hand, and keep it sharp.

For anyone that wants to get more in to processing your meat, this was our bible. I got this, and it was hard to get back from friends at times lol. They all eventually got their own copies. It’s a good read, with recipes to learn from and then adjust to your tastes. Mine has ratios and notations scribbled all over, little paper notes stuffed between pages, almost 4 decades of meat eating, beer drinking times with friends.

GREAT SAUSAGE RECIPES AND MEAT CURING BOOK BY RYTEK KUTAS
    https://www.sausagemaker.com/Great-Sausage-Recipes-and-Meat-Curing-p/26-1010.htm

Congrats to anyone that got out today, and even more so to those that have already harvested some meat.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Lol, yea it is once you have the knowledge how. It’s a bit intimidating till you’ve done it. I read a bit about, since I’m old and we didn’t have YouTube back then. But nothing like it till you actually slice in to a carcass and get your hands bloody.

I’m glad I got in hunting with a buddies family right away. Between his brothers, his dad, and what we shot ourselves, it was common to have a bunch hanging at the same time. One season was enough for me to learn how, skinning, separating the muscle groups, trimming, and everything else.

You find out quick that the right knife/knives make the task so much easier. Something comfortable in your hand, and keep it sharp.

For anyone that wants to get more in to processing your meat, this was our bible. I got this, and it was hard to get back from friends at times lol. They all eventually got their own copies. It’s a good read, with recipes to learn from and then adjust to your tastes.

https://www.sausagemaker.com/Great-Sausage-Recipes-and-Meat-Curing-p/26-1010.htm

Congrats to anyone that got out today, and even more so to those that have already harvested some meat.

Awesome, thanks for the book link!

Butchering an animal may seem daunting, but it is pretty easy. The right knives are very important. It's all about lines. Muscle groups follow lines. Once you learn to butcher a deer or pig, you can butcher anything.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

For anyone that wants to get more in to processing your meat, this was our bible. I got this, and it was hard to get back from friends at times lol. They all eventually got their own copies. It’s a good read, with recipes to learn from and then adjust to your tastes. Mine has ratios and notations scribbled all over, little paper notes stuffed between pages, almost 4 decades of meat eating, beer drinking times with friends.

I have been killing it at venison summer sausage but I quickly found out that everybody Who does jalapeño and cheese uses high heat cheese. I’m not gonna lie I do not like the idea of high heat cheese.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Congrats to those who are getting deer. Way too early for me. I don't like to hunt deer until the temps are below 60. I'll do it if it is warm in early ml, but not something I like to do.

I stopped messing with vacuum sealers years ago. I burned up a bunch, they take forever to use and the bags are expensive. I've gone to the lunch lady sized plastic wrap from BJs and have no problems with meat two years old. Keep it in a non frost free freezer and you're good to go.

I've had the opposite experience. Bought a fairly cheap one 7-8 years ago and have never had an issue. The best way to buy bags is to get the rolls of material and make your own. Have a helper cut them to size and seal one end while you do the butchering.

Killing fawns - C'mon fellas, do you wanna' just give the Bambi-huggers ammo? That is an embarrassment to all fair chase hunters!

Screw the bambi-huggers, they don't want people hunting period. In some parts of the state it makes complete sense to take fawns. Most of Howard and Carroll is so overpopulated, hunters should be taking almost every deer they see.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    We built a deer cooler and I got all the plans for that if you wan to build one. We hang them in it for the night and next day and then out into the truck and home. Its is at my buddies and its where we hunt mostly. Then hang and split and into meat lugs in the basement fridge. Then trim, grind and seal what you want. It is a lot of work, but I think I get better venison and I know what I have, how it was handled and packaged

That looks pretty interesting and useful. Fairly simple as well. I just got the Accurite temp monitors for the gas fridge I found. The range is more than I thought it would be. It would be an early warning if something failed.

About 10 years ago my gf’s sister sold a meat processing plant she took over and operated several years after their father passed away. They made one of the popular local ring bolognas, and other products. She just casually mentioned the sale one Sunday. I asked about the equipment, but she said the company purchasing it was only interested in the building, and the recipes. None of the gear was included in the sale. All the commercial slicers, grinders, mixers, stuffers, stainless tables and shelves, even the commercial freezers, and walk in coolers were still there. The sale was closing the next day. Arrrgghhh!

It still gets my blood pressure up that she didn’t tell me earlier. Much intelligence normally, but definitely a lapse there. I had buddies with dump trucks and equipment trailers, and buildings large enough to store it all. Just couldn’t make it happen in a few hours. Literally everything to start up a butcher shop.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Ugh. Missed a monster 10. Palmation, super dark coloring on the antlers, way outside his ears, and fat. Had been seeing him the past couple of weeks. Opening day he comes right to me, turns broadside at 30 and puts his head behind a bush. I shot, then my arrow jumps up and over his back. I could hear impact and then a second impact. Hit a fricken vine and snapped the arrow in two and then it hit a tree. Thank God it didn’t hit him at all. Going to leave that spot alone and try somewhere else with the kid tomorrow.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Does anyone know where to get a euro mount done near MoCo, I’m willing to travel a little ways. My pot is a tad too small this time, otherwise I’d do my own.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Ugh. Missed a monster 10. Palmation, super dark coloring on the antlers, way outside his ears, and fat. Had been seeing him the past couple of weeks. Opening day he comes right to me, turns broadside at 30 and puts his head behind a bush. I shot, then my arrow jumps up and over his back. I could hear impact and then a second impact. Hit a fricken vine and snapped the arrow in two and then it hit a tree. Thank God it didn’t hit him at all. Going to leave that spot alone and try somewhere else with the kid tomorrow.

That sucks. Leave it alone for a while he will likely be back into a routine soon. Post pics once on the ground.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Currently setup over some acorns and sign in my third tree of the day, but no deer to be found for me yet on public at BARC and Meade.

Well unless you count the little buck hanging out in the BARC wildlife offices parking lot while we all got our permits - no joke.

I did find the largest and thickest section of sticker bushes I've ever encountered today, so I know where to avoid at least.

You mean - Avoid until first day of firearms season. Because that’s where most of the big boys are headed for the following few weeks once the shooting starts.
    Be there to be the welcoming committee ;)

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Does anyone know where to get a euro mount done near MoCo, I’m willing to travel a little ways. My pot is a tad too small this time, otherwise I’d do my own.

Hitchcock’s in Severn has done a couple for my son and it they turned out nice. One was a natural color and one was like a camo leaf hydro dip.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I have been killing it at venison summer sausage but I quickly found out that everybody Who does jalapeño and cheese uses high heat cheese. I’m not gonna lie I do not like the idea of high heat cheese.

I'd be interested in what you are using for recipes. I have tried a lot of the scratch recipes people float out there and most SS I have tried are crappy and would sell if commercial. I have made three different Jalapeno and Cheese and not likes a single one.

I pretty much make Lebanon and Mettwurst and tried black pepper ones as I like pepper jerky so much and they don't seems to translate well.

My own personal research has found most people should stay around 20% fat in their recipe. I go down to about 13% but I only smoke to 145° internal and hold that. That way there is never a chance of overcooking and fatting out your SS. I know guys that only cook it to 135° and you can have a safe product if held there for over 30 minutes. I spent a lot of years working on this in the smoke house and my SS is far more moist not doing it this way. You can read the entire process here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom