• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    You would probably have pretty good luck going to one of the international markets right down the street from your office. I know the one right behind you used to have goat.

Goat is not typical Central American cuisine. :D

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    What meat is the most consumed globally?

Goat meat is the most consumed meat globally. Heard this decades ago and confirmed on the internet this morning. It must be true.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    First and last time I had goat I was 3. Apparently we were visiting my grandparents in Greece and they had a goat. Me and the goat became best of friends and on the last day it disappeared and ended up on the dinner table. My parents were so bent out of shape about it that they didn't eat it and haven't eaten it since.

I happened to enjoy the meal but don't remember it. My dad still tells that story.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Goat is not typical Central American cuisine. :D

I am pretty sure they sell it there. We stopped in there one day when Haystacks wanted to buy some to make a traditional Jamaican meal when I was stationed at the “no hose nation”.
    One day when you think about it could you bring EZ a banana cream pie (the little snack cake not an actual pie)? Tell him it’s from me.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I am pretty sure they sell it there. We stopped in there one day when Haystacks wanted to buy some to make a traditional Jamaican meal when I was stationed at the “no hose nation”.
    One day when you think about it could you bring EZ a banana cream pie (the little snack cake not an actual pie)? Tell him it’s from me.

He likes Moon Pies. And I will.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    In the past, I've seen whole goats hanging (they may have been halfs) in the freezer section at Costco. Literally blew me away... was going to buy one just for the hell of it.
    Pretty sure those are lambs—halal lambs for things like Eid.

As far as where to get goat, depending on how much you need, I've bought it frozen at H-Mart in a plastic wrapped styrofoam tray. Probably enough to make a single goat dish, but not feed an army.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Just like with lamb, the strong gamey taste is more pronounced in older animals and in males. Baby goat is quite similar to lamb, but there just isn't all that much meat on them.

I have had some tasty cabrito aka young goat in Texas. My father in law raises a few now and then and does a slow smoke over mesquite--very tasty.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Just like with lamb, the strong gamey taste is more pronounced in older animals and in males. Baby goat is quite similar to lamb, but there just isn't all that much meat on them.

This has been my experience. In Greece for Easter lamb or baby goat are grilled on the spit and they are not that different. I prefer the baby goat because it is a bit more flavorful.
    I have not tried mutton or old goat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom