• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I have my eye on a Remington 7600 30-06. It is being sold as used, but I don’t believe it has ever been fired. The rifle has a gloss blued finish with a real pretty gloss wood stock. While mulling over making the purchase, I’ve been checking out what is available for decent glass and mounts. I’m partial to leupold optics, but most of what is available now has a matte finish. Any suggestions for decent quality optics and mounts that have a gloss blue or black finish? Thinking of 3-9 or 4-14 x 40 with a budget of $500.00 or so for glass. I have a 7600 with a synthetic stock/matte finish with a Leupold matte finish scope, great shooter and I’ve taken a lot of game with it. It seems that scopes from 30-40 years ago were more widely available with gloss. Everytime I stop at the shop, I drool over this rifle:D

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You are right, the trend is towards matte finishes anymore in scopes. I just did a search on Optics Planet, who have a pretty good inventory and search system. When I narrow it to Leupold and filter by finish, gloss isn't even an option. :lol2:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    OP, I'm also sad to see the gloss scopes disappear. I had actually posted about this here.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=139574&highlight=Gloss&page=2

I'm a dinosaur I guess, but a stubborn one. A quality walnut stocked and deep polished blue vintage rifle isn't the same with today's matte finish scopes. And please spare me the "game spooking reflection" drivel that so often accompanies the reasoning why.

Pretty much the last of the Leupold VX-1 and VX-2 series scopes were cleared out of the bigger supply houses over the past year. Midway had a tiny run of gloss VX-3i 3.5x10x40 earlier this year that I also posted here. Presumably they were found on a shelf as they lasted only a few hours before they too were gone.

You're going to see some of these Vx-1 and Vx-2 scopes hit eBay and the like, as both lines were discontinued with the recent Leupold model changes . These 2 series were the last of the Leupold lines with sporadic gloss availability, mainly in 3x9x40, but also with some in 4x12. Hopefully you can find an example at not too inflated prices. I'd expect some to show up at gun shows also.

You can still buy a gloss scope from the Leupold Custom Shop by the way. But what was just last year a $100 up charge has this year increased to $250. Availability starts with the VX-3i series I believe, making your cheapest option a $650 proposition. It's obvious they intend to get paid, if they're going to make gloss anymore.

Good Luck!

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    OP, I'm also sad to see the gloss scopes disappear. I had actually posted about this here.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=139574&highlight=Gloss&page=2

I'm a dinosaur I guess, but a stubborn one. A quality walnut stocked and deep polished blue vintage rifle isn't the same with today's matte finish scopes. And please spare me the "game spooking reflection" drivel that so often accompanies the reasoning why.

Pretty much the last of the Leupold VX-1 and VX-2 series scopes were cleared out of the bigger supply houses over the past year. Midway had a tiny run of gloss VX-3i 3.5x10x40 earlier this year that I also posted here. Presumably they were found on a shelf as they lasted only a few hours before they too were gone.

You're going to see some of these Vx-1 and Vx-2 scopes hit eBay and the like, as both lines were discontinued with the recent Leupold model changes . These 2 series were the last of the Leupold lines with sporadic gloss availability, mainly in 3x9x40, but also with some in 4x12. Hopefully you can find an example at not too inflated prices. I'd expect some to show up at gun shows also.

You can still buy a gloss scope from the Leupold Custom Shop by the way. But what was just last year a $100 up charge has this year increased to $250. Availability starts with the VX-3i series I believe, making your cheapest option a $650 proposition. It's obvious they intend to get paid, if they're going to make gloss anymore.

Good Luck!

I was just checking out Leupold’s custom shop and came up with the same scenario you posted. I did see one of the 3.5-10x40 vx3i gloss on ebay. I also checked out optics planet with zero results. It’s not like I NEED a new rifle, but man I love that blueing and gloss Walnut.

Edit: I went back on optics planet and found this:
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/swift-...e=non-illuminated&_iv_illumination-color=none

Anyone have experience with these?

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I was just checking out Leupold’s custom shop and came up with the same scenario you posted. I did see one of the 3.5-10x40 vx3i gloss on ebay. I also checked out optics planet with zero results. It’s not like I NEED a new rifle, but man I love that blueing and gloss Walnut.

Edit: I went back on optics planet and found this:
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/swift-...e=non-illuminated&_iv_illumination-color=none

Anyone have experience with these?

I can certainly understand. I have the Remington 760 in '06, which was the predecessor to the Remington 7600 you're interested in. It was my first and it remains my favorite deer rifle.

I've heard the name OP, but I have zero personal experience with Swift scopes. Sorry I can't be of help there.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    OP, because I like vintage guns with blued steel and wood stocks, I also keep extra period scopes on hand. I currently have an extra Burris 4x, Weaver 6X, and Swift (they're decent) 10x I could part with if you're pressed. PM me if you're interested in checking them out.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I wanted a classic gloss finish on some of my scopes too. I have a nice 1995 vintage VX-II in 4 X 12 on my Varmintmaster and searched Hi and Low before I found a VX-3 Long range for my Cooper a few years back. I've had the VX-II on several rifles over the years and it's one of my favorites for sure.

Attachments

• VX2.jpg
      VX2.jpg
      90.6 KB · Views: 129
    • VXthree.jpg
      VXthree.jpg
      81.9 KB · Views: 130

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I purchased the Swift optics 3-9X40 that was on optics planet. I have not mounted it yet, but looking through it, it seems pretty decent.

Edit: After I posted, some parts I was waiting on arrived today, here is the (almost) finished project. Along with the matte finish 7600 I've had for years. Both 30-06.

Attachments

• 5C3BE3D7-1288-4A26-B576-76818F6BC08E.jpg
      5C3BE3D7-1288-4A26-B576-76818F6BC08E.jpg
      50.9 KB · Views: 103
    Last edited:

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    When I started hunting in the Mountains of West Central PA, that was the gun to have. My FIL would pump his empty on herds as they ran across the power line easements. Great memory!

About 35 Years ago I started hunting with my wife’s family in WV, I noticed they all had pump 30-06 rifles. I was using a 700BDL. Didn’t take long to catch on why they had pumps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom