• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Before I even started reading what you wrote under that pic, I cringed thinking, "Oooooh that looks loud!":D
    The venom is no where near as bad as the M4-72.

Jimmmy1111

Feb 25, 2008
    Joppa,Harford Co.
    https://www.rainierarms.com/fortis-muzzle-brake-9mm-nitride/
    fortis-muzzle-brake-9mm-nitride-fortis-9mm-brake-by-fortis-mfg-35c.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Is it too soon to point out :

1. 9x19 rifles has negligible recoil
    2. 9x19 in a rifle length bbl has low residual gas pressure at muzzle. Far less than any rifle cal , less than rifle length magnum revolver cals . Hence already modest muzzle blast , and low enough pressures that the various effects of even radical muzzle devices is a mere fraction as would be with a rifle cal .

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Kinda disagree with this sentiment, but not entirely.

1. 9x19 rifles has negligible recoil
    This depends heavily on the format and operating system. A delayed blowback pistol, yeah, it's not going to matter very much, hence why people are running comps and not brakes on their handguns. Ditto for stuff like the MP5, MPX, and CMMG MkG.

But if you've got a blowback gun, that heavy bolt is slamming backwards and creating some non-trivial recoil. If you are running a short barrel (MG, SBR, "braced pistol"), and hand-loading using slow-burning powder with light bullets, a brake or a comp is could make a difference in that scenario. Not a huge difference, but it's not nothing, either.

That said, I don't want to overplay my hand - at the rate most people shoot, I'm not really convinced a brake on 9mm would do much for them even if it worked. Recoil management is mostly shooting form when you're at/below 308.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    But if you've got a blowback gun, that heavy bolt is slamming backwards and creating some non-trivial recoil.

I don't think a brake does anything for bolt slamming. A brake operates on the barrel, after the bolt has already started slamming. If bolt slamming is the problem, a heavier recoil spring/buffer or weight in the stock would help.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It's 9mm. What recoil could you be talking about? It's a pistol caliber!! My daughter (she's small) shoots 9mm all day.

Agree with erwos. The “recoil” in blowback operated 9mm AR’s is the reciprocating mass of the buffer and bolt. A muzzle device will do nothing. Get a CMMG Guard bolt and barrel.

Billmorr22

Nov 28, 2016
    With machine

If you don't want to thread your barrel chack out Witt machine. They will custom make a muzzle brake to fit your gun. ! Wittmachine.net

MirandaB

Jun 8, 2011
    A muzzle brake on semi-auto 9mm rifle is tacticool only. There is so little residual pressure and gas volume at the muzzle that any braking action is negligible.

I was the managing partner of a startup gun company for over three years (and one of the designers of the pistol-caliber carbine we built and sold) and our straight-blowback, 9mm model was our best seller and best performer. We initially did NOT offer barrels threaded for muzzle brakes, but there were so many requests for threaded barrels that we began making them standard on every carbine we sold (where not prohibited). We even designed a couple of muzzle brakes for those who wanted them, but I can tell you unequivocally, those brakes did NOTHING to tame what was already very mild felt recoil.

As for so-called muzzle brakes that incidentally have a sound dampening effect, They might well be worth looking into. But by the time that 9mm round gets to the end of a standard 16-inch or longer barrel, there isn't much propellant gas pressure or volume for a muzzle brake to work with.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A muzzle brake on semi-auto 9mm rifle is tacticool only. There is so little residual pressure and gas volume at the muzzle that any braking action is negligible.

I was the managing partner of a startup gun company for over three years (and one of the designers of the pistol-caliber carbine we built and sold) and our straight-blowback, 9mm model was our best seller and best performer. We initially did NOT offer barrels threaded for muzzle brakes, but there were so many requests for threaded barrels that we began making them standard on every carbine we sold (where not prohibited). We even designed a couple of muzzle brakes for those who wanted them, but I can tell you unequivocally, those brakes did NOTHING to tame what was already very mild felt recoil.

As for so-called muzzle brakes that incidentally have a sound dampening effect, They might well be worth looking into. But by the time that 9mm round gets to the end of a standard 16-inch or longer barrel, there isn't much propellant gas pressure or volume for a muzzle brake to work with.
    Great input!

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    You should look into one of the adjustable weight buffer or the recoil dampening buffer replacements for 9mm blowback ar's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom