• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    A couple buddies and I are planning an Elk hunt next fall (2014). Either Idaho or Colorado. We are looking to make an epic drive through alternating drivers, have my buddy in Nevada meet up with us and hunt 4-5 days then drive back. We are all avid camper, hiker, hunters and will be staying out in the "bush" for the trip.

I am pretty sure that Idaho is a draw tag state and Colrado is over the counter/and draw. We need to look into the specifics, but with a possible 4 guys, we want to maximize our chances of all of getting a tag. Thoughts?

Three of us have been to the Sawtooth range and Garden Valley area in Idaho fighting some forest fires. It was awesome out there and is a possibility for a location. Looking at some of the statistics for success, I know we aren't all guaranteed, but it's the experience.

Anyone do their own hunting in either state? Tips and advice? Also, anyone in either state willing to find a copy of the printed regualtions and mail them to me?

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I hunted colorado a few weeks ago with an over the counter either sex tag. I think with that amount of guys your best bet is picking an over the counter spot so you can start planning now.
    The hardest part for me was limiting the weight in my pack. I ended up over 70lbs, it was way too heavy and I wore myself out getting up the mountain. If you are an experienced backpacker though you probably know how to pack light. Also I'd recommend picking a few different spots within the GMU you plan to hunt. Bring maps for each spot and be ready to switch it up mid trip if you arn't finding elk at your first spot.

Lastly people will tell you to boycot colorado because of the recent gun legislation but remember that most of the money you spend out there will be in rural areas and will go to thoses people who are opposed to the laws and need our support.

StickerLT

Jul 26, 2012
    Frederick County
    A group of us did a DIY Colorado Elk bowhunt in 2006. We had planned on hunting the Zirkle Wilderness Area, but an early snow storm squelched that. We ended up hunting some Trust Lands NW of Steamboat Springs. We all saw elk, and one guy scored on a bull.

Check out Zirkle Wilderness area.
    http://www.coloradowilderness.com/wildpages/mtzirkel.html

We drove out and back, as you are planning. It was 30 hours each way. If I were to do it again, I'd fly out and back.

Beautiful country, and big country.

colorado06028.jpg

447193-R1-16-16A.jpg

447194-R1-00-0A.jpg

447196-R1-18-18A.jpg

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I hunted colorado a few weeks ago with an over the counter either sex tag. I think with that amount of guys your best bet is picking an over the counter spot so you can start planning now.
    The hardest part for me was limiting the weight in my pack. I ended up over 70lbs, it was way too heavy and I wore myself out getting up the mountain. If you are an experienced backpacker though you probably know how to pack light. Also I'd recommend picking a few different spots within the GMU you plan to hunt. Bring maps for each spot and be ready to switch it up mid trip if you arn't finding elk at your first spot.

Lastly people will tell you to boycot colorado because of the recent gun legislation but remember that most of the money you spend out there will be in rural areas and will go to thoses people who are opposed to the laws and need our support.

If you don't mind, where did you hunt in CO and had you been there before? We are in the process of getting maps together to start picking areas with the best chance for all of us getting tags. I can google maps with the best of them, but would like some first hand knowledge. Once we decide on a general area, mapping the area and phone calls to the local wildlife offices will be next.

I'm not overly worried about the weight of the pack, we can get them pretty light and will divide the gear between the 4 of us. Multiple trips out with meat is another story.

How was the hunting pressure? See many other folks?

And lastly, did you get one?

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Idaho is over the counter...but a little pricey. Its not awful though. around $154 for the license and $416.75 for the elk tag. cheaper than an guided hunt though.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public...Type=Nonresident&feeType=License&feeCategory=

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public...?resType=Nonresident&feeType=Tag&feeCategory=

I think ID and CO were close to comparable in price, around $600. Isn't horrible. I was incorrect about ID being draw, but you are right about over the counter being the way to go.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I was in the south san juan wilderness in unit 81. We saw two groups of hunters on the trail but not a soul once we set up camp and started hunting. We had some good opportunities but didn't connect. also our hunt was cut short and limited because my partner got really sick from the altitude.
    We also drove straight out and it was pretty brutal but will probably do it again next time.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    I did a northwestern CO hunt in 2009. We paid a trespassing fee to hunt on a 28,000 acre parcel (never seen 1 privately owned property so large) but it was a self guided free range hunt. Absolutely loved it. My tips and advice is this: exercise, exercise, exercise.

I trained by putting a pack on (after filling it with about 60 pounds of weight) and walking in my hiking boots for a couple miles a day while carrying my bow (many people forget this part, and carrying your bow or gun all day takes a huge toll if you're not used to it). We had six guys go, only two of us trained. I took a nice cow elk and he took a nice mule deer. One other guy got lucky and shot a calf elk by accident (word is that he missed the cow and hit the calf. But the other three did not even get a shot. I believe this had to do with their lack of physical stamina.

Also, practice your calling for months before you leave. Watch the outdoor channel, buy a dvd and mimic those calls until it sounds right.

Have fun.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I did a northwestern CO hunt in 2009. We paid a trespassing fee to hunt on a 28,000 acre parcel (never seen 1 privately owned property so large) but it was a self guided free range hunt. Absolutely loved it. My tips and advice is this: exercise, exercise, exercise.

I trained by putting a pack on (after filling it with about 60 pounds of weight) and walking in my hiking boots for a couple miles a day while carrying my bow (many people forget this part, and carrying your bow or gun all day takes a huge toll if you're not used to it). We had six guys go, only two of us trained. I took a nice cow elk and he took a nice mule deer. One other guy got lucky and shot a calf elk by accident (word is that he missed the cow and hit the calf. But the other three did not even get a shot. I believe this had to do with their lack of physical stamina.

Also, practice your calling for months before you leave. Watch the outdoor channel, buy a dvd and mimic those calls until it sounds right.

Have fun.

I second the pre-requisite of exercise. Last time I was out in Idaho, we were fighting fires. Carrying our gear plus a five gallon can of gasoline up and down those steep ass mountains. It sucked.

I need to investigate the tresspassing fee idea. I haven't heard of it before.
    You can tell we just decided to do the trip this past weekend.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have a buddy driving to Colorado right now as we type. They should be there tomorrow morning for their 4th Elk hunt. His father and Brother are with him on this trip as well along with some of my 300 WIN MAG reloads. I'm all about Elk hunting in Montana and Colorado, but, the investment is not of my interest anymore. They are going back to the same ranch / lodge they have used three times before and about the best and cheapest place they have found after a lot of research. About $6500.00 per man for 7 days. I'm waiting to see an Elk on the ground with my reloads.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Just keep in mind that if you want a shoulder mount of any hoofed animal, they have to be caped out and skull plate removed and all brain tissues removed, before you can bring home to your taxidermist. Nearly all of those states are in the CWD zone.

Bonus for Idaho- buy some wolf tags. Shoot some wolves to keep the elk from being decimated there. The locals will thank you if you get a wolf or 2. Wolf is also a fine trophy critter!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Just keep in mind that if you want a shoulder mount of any hoofed animal, they have to be caped out and skull plate removed and all brain tissues removed, before you can bring home to your taxidermist. Nearly all of those states are in the CWD zone.

Bonus for Idaho- buy some wolf tags. Shoot some wolves to keep the elk from being decimated there. The locals will thank you if you get a wolf or 2. Wolf is also a fine trophy critter!

:thumbsup:

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    In CO it can be tough and pricey to get an out of state tag. What you can do: have 6 months of your mail sent to CO at a friend or relatives. This will establish residency enough for you to get in state tags. YES this works, no idea if it would work for the CO CCW. You will save tons of money if you get a CO tag as opposed to an out of stater tag. Dont play around there as far as tags and such, the game zone police are VERY good at what they do.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    I have a buddy driving to Colorado right now as we type. They should be there tomorrow morning for their 4th Elk hunt. His father and Brother are with him on this trip as well along with some of my 300 WIN MAG reloads. I'm all about Elk hunting in Montana and Colorado, but, the investment is not of my interest anymore. They are going back to the same ranch / lodge they have used three times before and about the best and cheapest place they have found after a lot of research. About $6500.00 per man for 7 days. I'm waiting to see an Elk on the ground with my reloads.

Not sure if this is of any interest to them - but for $6500 per man, they could do a flyout (bush plane) moose or caribou hunt in Alaska. If they're ever interested, have one of them shoot me a PM and I can give them more details about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom