• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I realize i am late to this party and a major green-horn but i would like to be placed on a waiting list or a possible next class .

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    *****Updated the initial post*******

The class will be Friday December 4th. Sorry for the delay. I needed to wait until Monday to confirm my schedule then I totally forgot to update you guys.

Also there has been way more interest in this class than I had expected. I would like to accommodate everyone including those on the waitlist. So I’m thinking about changing the format a bit so that the first 45min will be lecture format. I’ll be creating a slide presentation which everyone will be able to download a copy prior to the class. You could print it out and jot down questions you have during the lecture.

During the lecture I’ll be sharing my screen and doing live demonstrations on using the programming software.

I’ll ask that everyone keep their microphones muted during the lecture.

The lecture and demonstrations will be recorded my screen and audio ONLY will be recorded.

The once the lecture and demonstrations are done class is essentially over and I’ll stop recording.

I’ll extend the class for Q&A for as long as needed. I don’t think I will have to work the following Saturday so I could potentially be available until 10:30pm if that much time is needed to answer questions.

Also to make things easier on me I’m going to require anyone who is attending the class email me at toolaa2000@gmail.com. Subject: MDS Radio Class.

I will send you a zoom invite via google calendar along with a link to the shared google drive class folder and eventually a link to the video. For privacy sake I will blind CC my response and zoom invitees will not be able to see the names or email address of other attendees.

From a zoom etiquette standpoint I really do not care if you have your screen on or off, or if you use your real name MDS user name or some other during the lecture. I’ll be too busy to see you guys anyway.

However for the Q&A part it’s nice to see who I’m talking too. Not a requirement, but since we are a community I enjoy experiencing that community aspect whenever possible.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Unfortunately I cannot attend the live class due to work. Can I just email you to get the slide show, and then the lin to the recorded version after the class? TIA

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have Baofeng BF-F8+III. I don't know if this would be covered under the BF-F8HP.
    I guess we'll find out.

Pretty sure it will. I think they all program the same, most of the differences are power, transmit receive bands, accessory/hardware differences.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Just a quick update. I've sent invitations to everyone who has "EMAILED" me. Check you inbox for the zoom class invite. If you have emailed me and you did not receive an invitation from me, I could have missed someone, please just shoot me another email titled MDS Radio Class to toolaa2000@gmail.com and I'll gladly send you an invitation. If you are just seeing this for the first time and want to attend the class, go ahead and send me an email for an invite.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Quick Announcement update. I sent out a second round of invitations for those that emailed today. If you are expecting an invitation and did not receive one yet, check your spam or shoot me another email.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    ***Update 12/2****

The class presentation is done and uploaded to the shared drive. Everyone who has accepted an invite the the class should have access. Feel free to download it and review it before class. We'll be moving pretty fast in the class so it might be beneficial to review it before hand if you have time and jot down questions for the discussion afterwards.

I also uploaded some resource files in the class folder. This includes one of my own UV-5R code plugs with all transmission turned off. Feel free to download these and during the class we'll demonstrate how to install the code plug into your device. So you might as well have it ready to go on your PC.

See you guys friday..

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    *****I’m getting messages that some who are interested have not received an invite. I have sent a formal invitation to everyone who has emailed me this far. That invite includes the link to the Zoom meeting and the link to the Shared Class Folder.

About half of those who I have sent invites to have accepted them so I know that some of the messages are getting out.

If anyone has not received the invite please email me again.

Thanks.

John

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    ***Update 12/2****

The class presentation is done and uploaded to the shared drive. Everyone who has accepted an invite the the class should have access. Feel free to download it and review it before class. We'll be moving pretty fast in the class so it might be beneficial to review it before hand if you have time and jot down questions for the discussion afterwards.

I also uploaded some resource files in the class folder. This includes one of my own UV-5R code plugs with all transmission turned off. Feel free to download these and during the class we'll demonstrate how to install the code plug into your device. So you might as well have it ready to go on your PC.

See you guys friday..

Omg, you've done a tremendous amount of work. I quickly previewed the slides that you'll be going through tonight (PDF that you put in the shared Google Drive folder that you emailed details of). It looks excellent. That's many many hours of presentation preparation time. Thanks so much for putting this together. I'm excited after just scanning the content.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Eta: Also see two comments below that follow mine before doing any installations.

For Mac users, in preparation for the class, I have done the following. You don't need to be at this point for the class, but it might help.

(A)

In order to get the Chirp application to talk to one of my Baofeng radios, I downloaded a driver for the USB/Serial cable that connects the radio to your computer.

https://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php#mac

It was the "Prolific Driver PL2303_v0.3.1" link on the preceding page. After downloading the package, install it, and then restart your computer.

(B)

As previously shared, the Chirp software can be obtained here ...

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download

Before you run Chirp, you will need to install Python Runtime on your Mac, from here ... http://www.d-rats.com/download/OSX_Runtime/KK7DS_Python_Runtime_R10.pkg (***please note clicking this link starts an automatic download***)

The Runtime install can take 10-15 minutes.

(C)

1) Start Chirp
    2) Connect cable to the Speaker and Mic jack on your phone. Press firmly. Make sure it snaps in, otherwise it won't read
    3) Connect USB end to your computer's USB port
    4) Go to "Radio" on the menu bar for Chirp, select Download From Radio
    5) You will need to next select Port, Vendor, and Model information. For Port, make sure to select the one that has "usbserial" in the descriptor. For me, the Vendor was Baofeng, and Model was UV-5R
    6) It will then tell you to turn on the power (all the way) on your radio before proceeding

By doing the above, you'll get a quick sense if you are able to interface with the phone to program it.

If you are interested in getting the GMRS license from the FCC ($70 for 10 years), MidLand has a good step-by-step procedure as well as links to some of their reasonably priced GMRS radios ...

https://midlandusa.com/why-do-i-need-a-gmrs-license-how-do-i-get-it/

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    For Mac users, in preparation for the class, I have done the following. You don't need to be at this point for the class, but it might help.

(A)

In order to get the Chirp application to talk to one of my Baofeng radios, I downloaded a driver for the USB/Serial cable that connects the radio to your computer.

https://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php#mac

It was the "Prolific Driver PL2303_v0.3.1" link on the preceding page. After downloading the package, install it, and then restart your computer.

(B)

As previously shared, the Chirp software can be obtained here ...

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download

Before you run Chirp, you will need to install Python Runtime on your Mac, from here ... http://www.d-rats.com/download/OSX_Runtime/KK7DS_Python_Runtime_R10.pkg (***please note clicking this link starts an automatic download***)

The Runtime install can take 10-15 minutes.

(C)

1) Start Chirp
    2) Connect cable to the Speaker and Mic jack on your phone. Press firmly. Make sure it snaps in, otherwise it won't read
    3) Connect USB end to your computer's USB port
    4) Go to "Radio" on the menu bar for Chirp, select Download From Radio
    5) You will need to next select Port, Vendor, and Model information. For Port, make sure to select the one that has "usbserial" in the descriptor. For me, the Vendor was Baofeng, and Model was UV-5R
    6) It will then tell you to turn on the power (all the way) on your radio before proceeding

By doing the above, you'll get a quick sense if you are able to interface with the phone to program it.

If you are interested in getting the GMRS license from the FCC ($70 for 10 years), MidLand has a good step-by-step procedure as well as links to some of their reasonably priced GMRS radios ...

I'm running Big Sur (11.0.1) on a 2015 Macbook Pro and the "unified" chirp program worked out of the box. I'm using the Baefeng branded cable that came with that woot bundle.

Just an FYI

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'm running Big Sur (11.0.1) on a 2015 Macbook Pro and the "unified" chirp program worked out of the box. I'm using the Baefeng branded cable that came with that woot bundle.

Just an FYI

Probably worth trying your way first. I got my cable from Two Way Radios and they suggested the cable driver for Macs on one of their pages. The 2015 Mac Book Pro that I'm using to interface is running Mojave (10.14.6).

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

But then buy a Wouxon 805 instead. The Wouxie is just a better radio. In comparison, the Midlands are a hobbed horse.

ETA: if you apply to the FCC for your GMRS license this weekend, you will probably be granted before Tuesday afternoon.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    But then buy a Wouxon 805 instead. The Wouxie is just a better radio. In comparison, the Midlands are a hobbed horse.

ETA: if you apply to the FCC for your GMRS license this weekend, you will probably be granted before Tuesday afternoon.

Must be good. Looks like it is sold out many places.

Do you think that is one of the best GMRS radios for the money?

I picked up the GMRS license last week by following a YouTube video. Pretty easy. $70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom