• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I recently acquired a very lightly used, as in less than 30 rounds fired, 300 Winchester Mag. Remington model 700SPS Stainless. The prior owner kept the scope for another rifle. It has Weaver bases already mounted. I may or may not use them. I’m looking at two Leupold scopes. A VX-Freedom 4-12X40 and a
    VX-3I 4.5-14X40. Curious to know if the 3I is really such a better scope for the price vs the Freedom. Don’t mind spending the extra money if it’s worth it for clarity or low light enhancement. The rifle may see some hunting use in West Virginia where I do have the opportunity for some long shots. Aside from that, the possibility of a western hunt in a few years.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Freedom line is now their budget model. I believe it’s made Asia whereas the VX3i
    is their flagship and made here. Only you can answer is it worth the $$$.

Once in awhile use rifle, I’d probably go with the freedom. If serious or definitely western use go 3i.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    If I had to guess I would say, no

My first inclination as far as a hunting application goes, I’m in agreement in noticeable clarity. But if the 3I handles recoil better, as T.O.M.B. suggested, it may be worth the premium. FWIW a few years ago, I purchased a 3I but wound up returning it as there was an issue with elevation adjustments. I picked up a vx freedom for that rifle, a 30-06.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I own 3 different generations of Leupold's "3" series. First for me was the VARI-Xiii. Then later the VX-3. And then the Vx-3i later still. The "3" series long ago came to represent for me the sweet spot between price and value. They have as such been my primary hunting scopes for many years now.

I have not yet looked through an example of the newer Freedom series scopes. But from what I read, they are said to be consistent with Leupold's past practice when it comes to product line revamps. That is, the Freedom series that replaced both the previous VX-1 and VX-2 series of riflescopes, is said to incorporate the VX-2 glass.

While I don't own a Freedom series scope, I do own several VX-2 scopes that the Freedom replaced for a few of my shorter range rifles. For comparison purposes, I would suggest that the Vx-3i glass is superior to the Vx-2. I would also suggest that the lens coatings on the VX-3i are superior as well. Having hunted extensively with both series, if you are looking to squeeze a few extra all important minutes into early morning and late evening visability, the Vx3i will be the better choice in my opinion. The low light difference arguably isn't what I'd call startling, but it's there.

For what it's worth to you, I have always taken hunting seriously, so I will leave you with one other thought. It has been my experience that, when it comes to hunting trips, the price of your equipment tends to truly pale in comparison to many and most other associated hunting costs. Between license fees, transportation costs, lodging, meals, clothing and incidentals in whatever form? A difference in cost of $200 say, for the purchase of a better optic for example, becomes comparatively trivial in the grand scheme of things. Especially when you amortize the cost difference over what are (hopefully) many years of better quality.

Just one man's opinion. Hope it helps, and good luck!

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Freedom line is now their budget model. I believe it’s made Asia whereas the VX3i
    is their flagship and made here. Only you can answer is it worth the $$$.

Once in awhile use rifle, I’d probably go with the freedom. If serious or definitely western use go 3i.

The only part of Leupold scopes that are non us made is the glass. That comes from a lens maker in Japan. That goes across the line of their products. Their entire line, with the exception of the lenses, are made in Oregon.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I own 3 different generations of Leupold's "3" series. First for me was the VARI-Xiii. Then later the VX-3. And then the Vx-3i later still. The "3" series long ago came to represent for me the sweet spot between price and value. They have as such been my primary hunting scopes for many years now.

I have not yet looked through an example of the newer Freedom series scopes. But from what I read, they are said to be consistent with Leupold's past practice when it comes to product line revamps. That is, the Freedom series that replaced both the previous VX-1 and VX-2 series of riflescopes, is said to incorporate the VX-2 glass.

While I don't own a Freedom series scope, I do own several VX-2 scopes that the Freedom replaced for a few of my shorter range rifles. For comparison purposes, I would suggest that the Vx-3i glass is superior to the Vx-2. I would also suggest that the lens coatings on the VX-3i are superior as well. Having hunted extensively with both series, if you are looking to squeeze a few extra all important minutes into early morning and late evening visability, the Vx3i will be the better choice in my opinion. The low light difference arguably isn't what I'd call startling, but it's there.

For what it's worth to you, I have always taken hunting seriously, so I will leave you with one other thought. It has been my experience that, when it comes to hunting trips, the price of your equipment tends to truly pale in comparison to many and most other associated hunting costs. Between license fees, transportation costs, lodging, meals, clothing and incidentals in whatever form? A difference in cost of $200 say, for the purchase of a better optic for example, becomes comparatively trivial in the grand scheme of things. Especially when you amortize the cost difference over what are (hopefully) many years of better quality.

Just one man's opinion. Hope it helps, and good luck!

I’m in agreement with this ^^^.
    I have a number of vari-x 2, vx2, scopes, a vx-1 on a 44 mag, as well as one vx-freedom on the 30-06 noted above. Just curious to see if the 3I is really a better scope for the money. Looking for first hand knowledge, which it appears you have. Don’t mind spending more for quality if it’s there. Thanks.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    If you’re willing to spend the extra dough, I’m sure there is an appreciable gain. That said, I recently mounted a VX-Freedom rimfire on a CZ457 and it’s fantastic. I’ve had many different grades of Leupolds on hard kickers and they’ve all held up. One of my most brutal kickers, a 3.5” slug gun, wears a VX-2.

bowtech25

Jun 13, 2009
    carroll county
    I have a Leopold vx- freedom on and 450 bushmaster in a ar platform handles the recoil just fine. Glass is plenty clear from dusk to dawn I really like it. This was the first one I tried and I now have one on my wife's 243 she really likes it also. I have several vx 3's and I really don't feel like I'm giving up much honestly. Just one mans option good luck on your decision.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Pretty sure their VX3 series is/was their comparable civilian series to the Mark 4 as in they used similar glass and coatings.

I researched all of this 6-7 years ago, but of course everything has changed and they've moved production locations around etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom