• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Gold Dot +P. I have +P+ too, but I think it’s overkill, especially with a typical carry gun. With the +P+ follow up shots with a compact or subcompact will be slower. I think you are good with regular power Gold Dots IMHO.
    I LOVE the "follow up shot" rhetoric. Follow up shots on center mass are chest sized. You're not trying to drill 2 shots into an eye socket. Whew.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As said above , in the last few years the main advances have been in hard barrier penetration , particularly windshields . Not generally an important criteria for private citizen HD/ SD .

9mm "suffers" from a plethora of very good ammo . Any of the current ( or probably the generation imeadately preceding) from the major makers will be plenty good . As a default choice , Gold Dot is seldom a bad choice .

Or when I'm going Old School, BPLE . But that opens the whole can of worms of std vs +P vs +P+ .

I still don't care for 147gr, and 124gr- ish is best all around weight .

Specifically for lighter than air polymer subcompacts, I prefer std vel 115gr for control .

Added - re Mr Blue's comment above , the 124gr Gold Dot works quite well @ std vel, and only marginally changes in +P format .

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I LOVE the "follow up shot" rhetoric. Follow up shots on center mass are chest sized. You're not trying to drill 2 shots into an eye socket. Whew.

Well, you certainly differ from the experts in your opinion. The target isn’t just going to stand there. They also might not be 5 ft. away. Most of the NYPD uses +p only, as the +p+ slows up follow up shots and beats up the gun. I guess you need a more macho round. Try 10mm.

I prefer to hit the vitals as fast as I can.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Well, you certainly differ from the experts in your opinion. The target isn’t just going to stand there. They also might not be 5 ft. away. Most of the NYPD uses +p only, as the +p+ slows up follow up shots and beats up the gun. I guess you need a more macho round. Try 10mm.

Time not well spent dickering shot placement with Blaster. Take my word for it...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

I don't need a macho round. A "follow up" shot on a moving Target is a whole new target.
    Yeah. I'm sort of an expert. But not really, but yeah.
    Oh, fck NYPD.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Added - re Mr Blue's comment above , the 124gr Gold Dot works quite well @ std vel, and only marginally changes in +P format .

Exactly. To shoot +p+ out of my XDs or a S&W Shield would be pure stupidity.

That said, I use Speer Gold Dot 45ACP +P in my nightstand gun, but it’s a big 5 inch barrel and handles the recoil easily.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I don't need a macho round. A "follow up" shot on a moving Target is a whole new target.
    Yeah. I'm sort of an expert. But not really, but yeah.
    Oh, fck NYPD.

I guess you think your target will just stand there like a paper target. Show some respect for law enforcement. They put their life on the line in a ******** city that treats them like the enemy.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Oh. You do know that NYPD, about 20 years ago, for the longest time issued fmj ammo because they said it was safer, right? Apparently not.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'm just gunna post this for no apparent reason...

Attachments

• over-confidence-cat-eagle-demotivat.jpg
      over-confidence-cat-eagle-demotivat.jpg
      27.4 KB · Views: 107

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads