• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    Not sure how valid the warning is about the Bulgarian Tokarev Ammo being dangerous but I had heard that warning more than once.

I ran across this warning again on AmmoGuide which included a Photo of the Box and I believe the Headstamp.

I have not personally used any of this Ammo so I can't speak from experience but thought it was in the best interest of any of our members who may have any of this ammo to make them aware of the reported danger.

With the shortage of 7.62X25 Ammo I have noticed several brands of Ammo being offered on GunBroker and others. (at outrageous prices from six Months Back)

If you should see any Bulgarian offered I would stay away from it. but it's your choice. Like I say I have no personal experience with bad Toke Ammo, with exception to the cracked neck Polish which I shoot with some reluctance. With all the problems with surplus 7.62X25 I've set up my LEE to reload that cal.

In checking Gunbroker I found five seperate Auctions for Bulgarian Ammo.

http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/myag.cgi?sn=BNprrsCfnJ&cky=

"...Ammunition-test results... indicate the sample ammo in question generated an AVERAGE of 46,000 cup..."

Attachments

• Bulgarian Surplus Ammo.jpg
      Bulgarian Surplus Ammo.jpg
      39.7 KB · Views: 2,234
    Last edited:

JAGGUY

Nov 4, 2009
    Peoples Republik
    From what I have seen, for every thread saying that ammo is too hot for pistols, there was another saying that it isn't.
    I ended up with a fair quantity of it several years ago and it shoots the same as any other surplus 7.62x25. In fact I just put 100 rounds of it through my Romy Tokarev last Friday with no problems at all so I will side with those saying it is OK to shoot in pistols.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    this is essentially subgun ammo. i shoot it through cz52s. don't own any tokarev pistols, so not an issue for me. it runs GREAT out of a postie PPSH41. i'd agree that it's hotter than some other surplus, but i've had no major issues.

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    i cant get in the website, what exactly is the warning for? We all know Tok is a pretty high powered round.
    Basically they are saying that the Bulgarian Ammo is too hot to fire in the Tokes. I believe, "but don't quote me" that this may go back to the rumor that there was some "Hot" Toak ammo floating around that was intended for use in Machine Guns and possibly for the CZ52 which supposedly had a stronger Barrel than the Tokes.

This was proved to be false, in fact the Tokes I understand actually have a stronger Barrel than the CZ52.

I only post the warning as a large Ammo Board has seen fit to Post the warning on it's Home Page.

When you go to the Site, scroll to the bottom of the Home Page to the Warnings section and you will find the warning about the Bulgarian Ammo at the bottom of the page.

I'm no Ammo expert so take the warning for what it is worth, I only pass it on for your consideration.

I post the warning because it has again surfaced, I don't recall ever seeing a Picture of a Toke that went Kaboom using Bulgarian Ammo.

That said, I Post the warning because the Mods at a major Ammo Board saw fit to print it.

Ed

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Someone gave me about 500 rounds of the stuff unopened from their little tied paper wrappers. Out of that, I only found FOUR rounds that didn't have split necks and most of those were split down to the shoulder. I'll not be shooting any Bulgarian out of my CZ's ever. I'd shoot it in a PPSH but defenitely NOT a pistol.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I bought some Bulgarian from a gun show a while back. It functioned, but every case split the neck, and the recoil was a little bit unnerving. It certainly felt "hot", to the point where I was a little worried about it. Thankfully I fired it all off without incident, and I know now not to buy any more.

miben

Sep 29, 2007
    NC formerly Eldersburg MD
    This story has been going on for over 10 years. It was originally thought to be questionable as the original poster who called himself the OG was a drama hound.
    The original link posted by the OG no longer exists.
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7895
    I think if you have that specific batch with the star,10,52 and 3 (clockwise) of course be cautious and make your own decision. I would probably pass on buying it because of the rumor. I have used other Bulgarian with other 50's years without any indication of a problem.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    All those with worry about this ammo, feel free to PM me for a "disposal address" you can send it to. No charge.

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    All those with worry about this ammo, feel free to PM me for a "disposal address" you can send it to. No charge.

Fuel for the Fire. :evilgrin3

http://www.ramanon.com/forum/showthread.php?70861-7.62x25-ammo-CZ-52-chambers-are-short

Me, I have all my reloading Dies, Sizer, and .32 Cal RN Mold waiting. I've got 1,500 Stlrline Casings on the way and should be set for a while. I have a couple of Load recommendations from a Master Boolet Maker over at Boolets.

Hopefully no more Corrosion or Split non-reusable cases.

I'll post the Load Data as I receive it and would appreciate any data our Reloaders may have.

Now, if I can only find an easy way to recover that Brass that kicks 30 Yards Out? :sign01:

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom