• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 18wheeler

Mar 16, 2019
    Perryville
    I purchased 2 standard capacity mag for my SD9VE in a free state. I would like to add Apex +3 mag extensions but would that be legal to do?

Rhoppe

May 13, 2017
    Maryland
    Only if you go outside state lines to do the modification.

"Illegal to purchase, sell or manufacture magazines with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds within Maryland. However, possession of magazines greater than 10 rounds is legal if purchased out of state. These may not, however, be transferred to a subsequent owner unless done so outside the state of Maryland." So if done within state you are manufacturing a larger capacity magazine etc etc...

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    This came up in another thread. The argument was made that the mags were already greater than ten rounds, so adding the extension is not manufacturing a greater than ten round magazine. I don't know if MSP agrees with that logic :shrug: If you do it in the parking lot of a gun store in America after you buy more standard mags, you'll have nothing to worry about. ;)

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Better to be safe, I drove out to Utah to add my Kriss Vector 9/10/45 extensions. It was a haul but so worth it.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    What ever happened to keeping secret things secret? How is anyone supposed to know when or where you put on the +3 extensions?

18wheeler

Mar 16, 2019
    Perryville
    Only if you go outside state lines to do the modification.

"Illegal to purchase, sell or manufacture magazines with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds within Maryland. However, possession of magazines greater than 10 rounds is legal if purchased out of state. These may not, however, be transferred to a subsequent owner unless done so outside the state of Maryland." So if done within state you are manufacturing a larger capacity magazine etc etc...

So can the extensions be purchased online and made over state lines? MD law is back asswards.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    What ever happened to keeping secret things secret? How is anyone supposed to know when or where you put on the +3 extensions?

Agree, as opposed to going on a public forum to tell the world about one's 20,000 rounds of ammo, 150 guns and all the workarounds to Maryland's laws.........

To each their own but there was another mass shooting this weekend and in the political gun control world for every action there's a massive and ludicrous overreaction just around the corner.

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    Agree, as opposed to going on a public forum to tell the world about one's 20,000 rounds of ammo, 150 guns and all the workarounds to Maryland's laws.........

To each their own but there was another mass shooting this weekend and in the political gun control world for every action there's a massive and ludicrous overreaction just around the corner.

Right. The news is worth following. Support for high capacity magazines, AKs and AR 15s is getting more and more wafer thin among the public and elected officials. Dont take my word for it....

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    because, you know, going one, two, three or even four or five states away may not be enough... ahaha

Not even same time zone, terrified MSP will send their MET (mag extension team) to my house.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC

The problem would be if he assembled the mags in MD believing it is legal and a honestly answered a prosecutor/investigator.

Knowledge is power.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    And that why you dont talk to the police or anyone's that's investigating you. You dont have to answer any questions no matter what they say.

Fair point.

However he may think it is an innocuous question if he does not know the law. If he were at the range the question of mag extensions could come up from someone he does not even know is investigating.

Now he can say he drove to Delaware and did it at a rest stop and be in full compliance.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Why? It is an honest question.
    Just stating my position ... Fight Club. Here in AACO we have a group appointed to search for things like this, to end gun violence and throwing out any little bit of information would give them ammo, so carry on, are there any other freedoms we are holding onto by the skin of our teeth we should throw out there?

Not trying to be rude and as always, I Could Be Wrong.

18wheeler

Mar 16, 2019
    Perryville
    Fair point.

However he may think it is an innocuous question if he does not know the law. If he were at the range the question of mag extensions could come up from someone he does not even know is investigating.

Now he can say he drove to Delaware and did it at a rest stop and be in full compliance.

Basically, my question was since I already legally obtained the mags would it matter since they are over 10 rounds to begin with to add an extension. Kinda starting to think it be less stressful to just legally acquire another standard cap mag.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Basically, my question was since I already legally obtained the mags would it matter since they are over 10 rounds to begin with to add an extension. Kinda starting to think it be less stressful to just legally acquire another standard cap mag.

Don't modify any of your mags in MD, bottom line.

Go to PA and get some 33 rounders, they make a +3 look kind of small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom