• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Impressive, thanks. Reassuring, here I thought the frame or rails would give out first.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    OP, great post.

I respect Glock, but don’t own one. I really want to be a Glock guy, because everything about Glock makes sense, I just don’t like the way a Glock feels in my hands.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    This was back in the late 1980s but a guy and instructor I know did a test on a Glock 17...he wanted to see how long it would run without being cleaned and still function. His intention was to go 150k rounds. Since he was an instructor he regularly carried and fired the Glock. He finally gave up at somewhere around 140k rounds...it started slowing down a bit and going "kachunk" as he described it but still worked.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    How do you track the number of rounds you have shot? Tracking 86,000 rounds seems tedious.

I've known the owner for over twenty years now and he is extremely meticulous about keeping count. I myself keep a book of dates, round counts, ammo manufacturers, stoppages and, in some cases, particular magazines used, bullet weights, round count since last cleaning and anything else I consider pertinent at the time.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    OP, great post.

I respect Glock, but don’t own one. I really want to be a Glock guy, because everything about Glock makes sense, I just don’t like the way a Glock feels in my hands.

I agree completely...but have you held a Poly80 "Glock" :innocent0

Also, for me, the nose heavy G34 Gen5 felt less like a Glock than all the others, so that let me become a Glock guy;)

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Great write-up....cant beat a Glock. I am not surprised either, they are work horses. Unfortunately, a 40 cal. would (most likely) never last that long.....too much stress on the frame, ...but then again you never know.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Before I purchased my first Glock back in the day, I handled a 100k gun . ( They didn't have generations back then .)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Is it just the light, or does the breach face of the slide on the second-gen look like it has a very serious crack running in it?

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    The last thing we need to look at is the barrel so lets get right to it.

The Gen2 is at the top:
    P1170854_zpsdwaem10k.jpg

P1170855Modified_zps9oihefor.png

P1170857_zpsd1uss9aq.jpg

P1170858_zpszizuyazs.jpg

Here is a closer look at the finish wear from the spring and front bushing:
    P1170875_zpsdc5zqyqa.jpg

P1170876_zpsj8hzri1c.jpg

Clearly built to last.

The rear of the barrel lug on the Gen4:
    P1170860_zpsiu2jp4ib.jpg

And on the Gen2:
    P1170866_zpsi4utt37n.jpg

I asked about the damage. When was it noticed and does it cause concern? I was told that this just slowly happened over time and that it doesn't bother the owner at all. He could not pinpoint any particular occurrences or any flakes found when cleaning. My understanding is that this is just gradual wear.

The front of the barrel lug on the 4:
    P1170868Modified_zpst8zbzdvo.png

And the 2:
    P1170869Modified_zpsyc4btua5.png

It's a little battered but obviously still doing its thing.

The crowns compared with the 2 on the left:
    P1170874_zps2exj4aij.jpg

The crown on the 4 is in better focus so it looks sharper. In reality, I could see no difference between the two.

This second to last picture is the bore on a Glock after 750 rounds:
    P1170873_zpsthgtve2m.jpg

And here is the bore on a Glock after 86,126 rounds:
    P1170872_zpshi2mdifz.jpg

If you ask me, it looks as good as the other one. On a typical range trip, this barrel sees anywhere from 300-600 rounds. That's a lot of rounds at one time and I'm sure it gets pretty toasty so, to me, that makes the general lack of wear all the more impressive.

As I said at the outset, I don't own a Glock and I've never had the desire to. BUT, I would love to own this Glock simply because I'm in awe of its condition after so many years of real use and so many rounds of all kinds of ammo varying in both manufacture and quality, some of which was admittedly pretty crappy reloads. Whatever you think of the general design or the newer models, it's pretty clear to me that Glock built the 9mm Gen2's to last and last. I know I would trust my life to it. So that's it for this one. I hope you enjoyed it. I know working it up provided me with a pleasant afternoon with an old friend. That alone made it worth doing. See you next time!

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    A freaking TESTAMENT!!!!!!!!

(Since the 60’s - maybe earlier but, I wasn’t around then - the Pentagon small arms selection brass has always had their heads firmly up their *sses. With the passage of time their heads have only gone further up the colon!)

n0manarmy

Jan 9, 2019
    Thanks for the post and pics. Good to know that around 86,000 rounds, the Glock is just finally getting broken it =)

accokeek

MDS Supporter
    Mar 4, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    Great thread and pictures

Many thanks for an excellent and informative thread. FWIW, with a bit over 7,000 rounds through a Gen2 I have neverhad a problem, same with a Gen4 with about 500 rounds. However, I stand in awe over the performatnce and condition of your Gen2

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom