• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    I just bought a used, very clean S&W 686 from a consignment shop. I've been searching for a source to find out the manufactor date by S/N, but I haven't been able to find much info for it.
    This seems a little odd because most of the other makers post S/N dates that are easy to access and research.
    Anyway, rant over.
    My new-to-me 686 has a S/N CFC2953.
    No dash.

Any help in determining the date of birth for my new baby would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I have the standard catalog of Smith and Wesson 4th ed.

The only place I see a serial no "CFC" is in a category for 2002, which does not seem correct for a no- dash. Does your revolver have the post 1999 lock?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Lock is the small hole above/ behind the cylinder release.

See here:

686-lock-600x337.jpg

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/smith-and-wesson-internal-lock/

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    I have a pic of it, but I'm not nearly smart enough to know how to post it. I do see the hole behind the cylinder release, but it's not just a hole. The appears to be something (pin?) in the hole. sorry for the vaugness, but the pic isn't real good. Does something move or retract in this hole? Could that be what I'm seeing?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have a pic of it, but I'm not nearly smart enough to know how to post it. I do see the hole behind the cylinder release, but it's not just a hole. The appears to be something (pin?) in the hole. sorry for the vaugness, but the pic isn't real good. Does something move or retract in this hole? Could that be what I'm seeing?

Yeah there could be what looks like a small pin in the center. (See below).
    This is the internal lock mechanism. There should be a key, although I never use mine. The key locks/unlocks the firing mechanism. Dont let the FFL sell you a bore lock!! This gun has the integrated lock! I say that because some new counter people appear still unaware...

The presence of the "hole" i.e. internal lock confirms the 2002 date in my catalog. Only post 1999 SW models have this.

images

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    Yeah there could be what looks like a small pin in the center. (See below).
    This is the internal lock mechanism. There should be a key, although I never use mine. The key locks/unlocks the firing mechanism. Dont let the FFL sell you a bore lock!! This gun has the integrated lock! I say that because some new counter people appear still unaware...

The presence of the "hole" i.e. internal lock confirms the 2002 date in my catalog. Only post 1999 SW models have this.

Yes.
    That's exactly what mine looks like. So that seems to confirm the 2002 date.
    Thank you all so much for the input and expertise.
    Can't wait to take possession. It has one of the smoothest triggers I've ever pulled. The single action is super light and crisp. Like glass with no travel. Beautiful gun.

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    That lock is commonly referred to as a "Hillary Hole", word has it a deal was made with Smith & Wesson by the Clinton Administration to make us safer...

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****I have a 586 and a 686 and they are both some of my favorite revolvers. Absolute tack drivers and the heavy barrel really makes heavier .357 loads more manageable then my .38 detective special with a 2 1/2 snubby barrel! Even mild .38 loads in that little grip feel brutal to my sensitive, Palmolive softened hands!

python

Apr 15, 2010
    It's clearly not a no dash model. Probably a -6 with the lock, internal firing pin and MIM parts. Look it over carefully, especially for an overclocked barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom