• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A court decision will not stop the MGA from passing an unconstitutional law, nor will it stop MSP from defining the text for COMAR.

There are injunctions etc. I can’t imagine this BS won’t be challenged.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    A court decision will not stop the MGA from passing an unconstitutional law, nor will it stop MSP from defining the text for COMAR.

Until something like the Voting Rights Act happens where MD/CA/NY/NJ are found to have openly and continuously violated the 2A rights of their citizens and must present all gun-related bills to a special master prior to the laws taking effect.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Until something like the Voting Rights Act happens where MD/CA/NY/NJ are found to have openly and continuously violated the 2A rights of their citizens and must present all gun-related bills to a special master prior to the laws taking effect.

That would be great, but its not happening in this session, is it?

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Why is it that all the unconstitutional laws are passed and not immediately stricken like when our side passes laws and the left can overturn immediately or get it stopped? Cannot stand the left. They are going all out now

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008

This. One of the biggest problems our side has is that there's regional Fudd-ism. We complain about the people who say "my gun isn't banned, so why should I care?", but are OK with people who say "it's not my state, so why should I care?".

We've had opportunities to pass a national preemptive act, but get mired in "muh feddelizm" arguments...and its the gun owners like us, behind enemy lines, who pay the price.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Nothing really happens on this case monday. I dont think you have your dates mixed up, I think you have your cases mixed up.

So I think several new 2A cases had their first conference on the 21st (the IL non-resident CCW case for one). But it would be an absolute shock if anything other than nothing happens and they join the growing list of cases in limbo.

The bump stock case may be the only one where something may happen.

If anything happens in this case (NYSRPA) on Monday then it'll likely be a dismissed as moot, which we don't want.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    So I think several new 2A cases had their first conference on the 21st (the IL non-resident CCW case for one). But it would be an absolute shock if anything other than nothing happens and they join the growing list of cases in limbo.

If anything happens in this case (NYSRPA) on Monday then it'll likely be a dismissed as moot, which we don't want.

We want something to happen in the bumpstock case, because the BATFE interpretation is contrary to the plain wording of the law defining a machine gun.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Nothing really happens on this case monday. I dont think you have your dates mixed up, I think you have your cases mixed up.

Nope. I'm just watching to see if the Court provides any new clues after the break. No movement (as in not mooted) today on NY and no other held 2A case has moved up (or out).

We can speculate that the odds of NY not getting mooted are getting better with each passing week. If that is so, we will most likely have to wait until the end of June (18 weeks?) for our answer (relief).

Last edited:

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    We can speculate that the odds of NY not getting mooted are getting better with each passing week. If that is so, we will most likely have to wait until the end of June (18 weeks?) for our answer (relief).

That's my impression. If the NY case were going to be mooted, they'd have done it by now. I think we're likely to get a ruling. Especially after the primaries so far...SCOTUS may deny it publicly, but they take politics into account.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

They have relisted the bump stock case
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/docket/docketfiles/html/public/19-296.html

but not the IL CCW case
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/docket/docketfiles/html/public/19-487.html

https://www.scotusblog.com/ is indicating that SCOTUS may issue opinions on Tuesday and Wednesday. According to their statistics they have only issued 4 opinions for this term and this pace appears to be a typical pace for them.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Since I don't know if it's in the thread here is the current court calendar for those following along. https://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/2019TermCourtCalendar.pdf

The end of June is tentatively the end of the current term, but I'm not well versed in how they decide whether to continue into early July or if it's just a hard stop at the end of the schedule.

June is a hard stop. Justices schedule things like overseas speaking engagements in the summer. It would have to be an extraordinary emergency for them to extend the term (think major war or pandemic).

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    The "easy" December opinions have started to come out this week.

Two from Ginsburg, one each from Breyer, Gorsuch, and Kavanaugh to date.

My bet is on Roberts writing the majority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom