• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Subscribed. I have an 11 y/o that wants to start hunting, and I'm no hunter...Hoping this is a good way to get him started. Just need to figure out where.

Is there a good site for a summary of squirrel hunting rules in MD?
    He can join a hunters apprentice program. Are you also interested in hunting?

The state of MD has the hand book and also this site has a good summary

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/small-game-hunting/

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    I'm in Silver Spring, MD. But I can travel. In fact, I'm looking for a reason to get out of the area. There are plenty of squirrels and rabbits (and deer) in my neighborhood but in this part of Montgomery County discharging a firearm is frowned upon. :)
    I feel that. Have you ever been to Frederick municipal forest? There's alot of public land close to you. Also monacacy off river rd.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Use a single shot 410 ,gives me an excuse to use it . Doesn’t tear em up to bad unless they are very close. Like to walk /sit kinda of scouting for deer season . Like to cook them whole in crock pot , meat just pulls right off then make some dumplings mmmmmm. Plus hunting them great time take the grand kids with me

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    I feel that. Have you ever been to Frederick municipal forest? There's alot of public land close to you. Also monacacy off river rd.

No, I haven't. Thanks for the suggestions.

I often see a lot of squirrels and rabbits when I hike. Do people generally hunt while moving like that or instead stay put somewhere?

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    So it depends, the squirrels you see about are usually accustomed to humans. The hunting grounds ive been to the squirrels tend to hide alot. Same with rabbits. When i hunt i do move about but usually slowly and ill move and wait. Move and wait. Its also crucial for timing . first 2 hours after sunrise and before sunset is when you see most. But youll find them through the whole day but first thing in the morning lots are active.
    Squirrels are all about listening. They make distinct sounds depending on what they are doing. I typically go in before sunrise post up at a tree and listen as the woods come alive as the sun rises. I wait to hear them coming down the trees and pounce in leaves. Very loud they sound like ppl walking around on leaves when all else is silent. then very slowly stalk in that direction till i find them.

In addition if you scout out ahead of time to find nut bearing trees you can often find them there.

One suggestion, i dont go on public land for hunting during deer firearm season unless its a a weekday or its empty. I had one to manybad experiences with overcrowding. I do go for muzzelload season though.

I also am careful and keep eyes open for anyone bow hunting and see how many cars are parked at public grounds . if there are a bunch i find a different place to head in as i dont want to disrupt ppl in tree stands and static hunters

At Frederick municipal forest ive seen alot of bow hunters on the west side of the hunting area but not to many on the east. There is a valley where two ponds a connected by a small semi drystream On the east side, Tons of Wildlife in there.

I usually go to elk neck state forest which is slightly closee to me.i never see anyone there but thats a ways from You

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Use a single shot 410 ,gives me an excuse to use it . Doesn’t tear em up to bad unless they are very close. Like to walk /sit kinda of scouting for deer season . Like to cook them whole in crock pot , meat just pulls right off then make some dumplings mmmmmm. Plus hunting them great time take the grand kids with me
    Good point on the 410. Always wanted one of those

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    I just cooked up the remainder of my supply from last year's haul on Sunday. I prefer 22lr, but if I absolutely must bring home some squirrel it'll be the 20ga.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Depending on where, when, and what style, I’m hunting squirrels, changes what I use to harvest them. When the trees still have a lot of leaves on them, I’ll take a shotgun. Hunting from a tree stand, or in very hilly areas, I’ll use a .22.
    I never shoot at them with a 22 in they are up in a tree, for safety reasons. Using a 22 is challenging, not only do you have to make the shot, the opportunities for a shot are also more limited, because you need to have a good backstop.

If you want to put meat on the table, go shotgun.
    If you’re going for the sport, use a .22

Now if I really want to have fun, I’ll bring one of my mountain cur dogs along with me, and they will spot, chase and tree the squirrels for me. Be prepared to do a lot of walking, when hunting this way, but man is it enjoyable. Of course I use a shotgun, when hunting this way, as all the squirrels are up in the trees.

Also, I always wait until there has been at least 2 good frost before I hunt squirrels, as by then the warbles, are gone. They say it’s safe to eat one, if it does have warbles, but I can’t stomach it.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Subscribed. I have an 11 y/o that wants to start hunting, and I'm no hunter...Hoping this is a good way to get him started. Just need to figure out where.

Is there a good site for a summary of squirrel hunting rules in MD?

I feel that squirrel hunting is the best way to get kids into hunting. You can keep the sessions short so they don’t get bored, or cold. You get to move around, unlike most deer hunting. You don’t have to be super quite. It teaches them, how to sneak up on game animals, that useful for all types of hunting. And the big one is there is usually plenty of opportunities to shoot. The bag limit is 6 per day, that’s a lot of shooting. Deer hunting gets boring even for me, and especially for kids. Deer hunting is being quite, sitting still and if your lucky, you usually only get the opportunity for one shot during the day.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    So it depends, the squirrels you see about are usually accustomed to humans. ...

Depending on where, when, and what style, I’m hunting squirrels, changes what I use to harvest them. ...

That's a lot of useful information from you both. I really appreciate it.

I feel that squirrel hunting is the best way to get kids into hunting. ...

Might also be the best way for this adult. Sounds like fun.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Ohhhhhh I can’t wait
    Darn things are raiding my deer feeder.

I got 6 the year before over one weekend and 4 last year in 2 days. Seems like you kill one and 2 take its place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Ohhhhhh I can’t wait
    Darn things are raiding my deer feeder.

I got 6 the year before over one weekend and 4 last year in 2 days. Seems like you kill one and 2 take its place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine go nuts over my bird feeders. I’d rather that then then get in to my line tree and fig tree in pots on my back porch. But waiting on popping a few.

melikou1

Aug 31, 2017
    The 'Dena, MD
    Not seeing as many this year as I haven't been putting corn down for the deer in my backyard. Got tired of a million ticks. But still need to keep the tree rats off my "squirrel proof" bird feeders.

I have a great time with my .22 Benjamin Break Barrel pellet gun. Came with a crappy 4X scope, but upgraded to a decent 3-9X.

No long range shots, but I take them out to 25 yards with the majority between 10-15 yards. Once the gun got broken in, really accurate over the limited range. Almost all kills are headshots between the ear and eye. If I miss that shot, they get away unharmed.

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    I need to get back on it the woods this year and I love shooting squirrels I don't own any land but would love to link up with folks and hunt public if possible with a .22LR. I live in Pasadena would drive and 1hr to 1hr 30min to hunt for a day.

owgriffin

May 15, 2012
    using a shotgun just is not fair. Plus you end up eating pellets, which are bad for your teeth. I love squirrel hunting more than anything except ground hog hunting. It is also really good for your vision.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I typically use a shotgun because I hunt them opportunistically while going for other upland game or while walking to and from duck hunting spots. Last year I shot quite a few with #4 steel waterfowl shot...it gets the job done and doesn't wreck the meat. If you're hunting them for the first time, go to a place with lots of acorns, get comfortable sitting at the base of a tree, and wait. Once the forest settles a little, you'll start to hear them barking. Move to the sound if needed and be patient. Look for tails wagging and other movement in the tree tops. I also really like using the Primos brand squirrel call. Best $10 I've spent. If you spend some time out there patiently and quietly, you'll get an opportunity. If you have no squirrels showing up within 15 minutes, quietly walk 5 minutes into the woods and repeat the process.

ecampo

Mar 3, 2008
    Is there a magazine capacity limit if hunting with a 22? Say a dedicated AR-22 or 10/22 with removable magazines. The only limit I see listed in the regs is for shotguns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom