• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lightyear68

Feb 1, 2016
    Highly recommended video.

When it comes to 12 gauge self-defense, this video is for the people who don't know what they don't know.

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Yea, bird shot will destroy a couple pork chops, but will it reliably penetrate the vitals of a human at home defense distances? Has been proven NO repeatedly. Buck and slugs are adequate for defense, bird shot is only viable if you failed at preparation, and have absolutely nothing better.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    00 Buck for the win. My brother mixes his up. He puts a couple 00 Buck in for the first two, then follows with 2 slug, then 2 more 00 Buck. I just load all 2 1/2" 00 Buck. Anyone have a different schedule/prescription for a threat to be addressed by shotgun?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    93% of confrontations are ended when they see you have a gun. Thats a fact based on a DOJ survey.

As for the other 7% of the time, you better have more than bird shot. Bird shot is for birds, but even if you are attacked by Big Bird, you will need more like 00Buck.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    00 Buck for the win. My brother mixes his up. He puts a couple 00 Buck in for the first two, then follows with 2 slug, then 2 more 00 Buck. I just load all 2 1/2" 00 Buck. Anyone have a different schedule/prescription for a threat to be addressed by shotgun?

Managed recoil slugs or buck, but not both, would rather not deal with a significant change in recoil / POI in the middle of a string of shots. Personally I prefer managed recoil slugs over buck, better penetration, and no risk of an errant pellet deflecting off in a random direction. Have run shotguns in defensive classes, and competition, but haven't relied on one for defense in many years, they can't compete with small ARs that have much greater capacity, and are far easier to run.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

What are we doing here? Making a cake? :sad20:

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I see no problem with the mixing. I do not do as much, though. My last round is a slug and the rest 00 Buck. Tomato Tomatoe

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I see no problem with the mixing. I do not do as much, though. My last round is a slug and the rest 00 Buck. Tomato Tomatoe

Traditionally in a shotgun, a slug is for a little more distant engagement. It works as well close up for home defense. I just don't understand why someone creates a magazine chambering order with both buckshot and slugs (or even with birdshot) for home defense.

What's the logic behind that?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Managed recoil slugs or buck, but not both, would rather not deal with a significant change in recoil / POI in the middle of a string of shots. Personally I prefer managed recoil slugs over buck, better penetration, and no risk of an errant pellet deflecting off in a random direction. Have run shotguns in defensive classes, and competition, but haven't relied on one for defense in many years, they can't compete with small ARs that have much greater capacity, and are far easier to run.

Exactly. I would not want that variable to deal with in a life-threatening situation.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Traditionally in a shotgun, a slug is for a little more distant engagement. It works as well close up for home defense. I just don't understand why someone creates a magazine chambering order with both buckshot and slugs (or even with birdshot) for home defense.

What's the logic behind that?

It's also not like you can pick and choose which round you want to chamber. They are in the mag tube in a specific order. You can't select which one you want.

2 shells of 00 buck then a slug is great if you are attacked by 2 men then a bear on pcp at close range.

But what if the bear attacks first?

If you want to be prepared for different kinds of attackers, have 2 shotguns loaded with different rounds. Then when you hear a bump in the night grab the 00 buck. And if you hear a velociraptor in your living room go for the slug gun

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    It's also not like you can pick and choose which round you want to chamber. They are in the mag tube in a specific order. You can't select which one you want.

2 shells of 00 buck then a slug is great if you are attacked by 2 men then a bear on pcp at close range.

If you want to be prepared for different kinds of attackers, have 2 shotguns loaded with different rounds. Then when you hear a bump in the night grab the 00 buck. And if you hear a velociraptor in your living room go for the slug gun

Strike the shotgun slug requirement for the bear. It's been proven that you can fool a bear; negating the need for a slug in the gun:

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg

Nominating for post of the year.

Friggin hilarious.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I kind of forced #4 buckshot. But I don’t find it often. It’s 00 buck sitting in my safe. But that’s so I can hand my shotgun to my wife if I needed to. I am grabbing my AR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom