• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPQM

May 21, 2014
    So it appears he's running to represent me in van Hollen's seat; and he's running hard on his brilliant legislative achievements in the Maryland Legislature:

https://jamieraskin.com/reducing-gun-violence-and-challenging-nra

I'm working under a significant set of restrictions here; as I'm deaf/hard of hearing and can't really do good rhetoric in person.

What I can do is write up a simple flier that points out how stupid his brilliant legislative achievements are, and then proceed to distribute it across Montgomery and Frederick Counties the old fashioned way -- printing it out and then lots of shoe leather.

Random salient points to make:

1.) Easier to be licensed to transport radioactive materials on highways than it is to get a HQL in MD. You still need to be fingerprinted for both; but the 'class' for HAZMAT endorsement consists of a multi choice question at MVA.

2.) It has been three years since FSA2013; and shouldn't B-more be dropping in murders?

etc.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    One of his little "factoids":

While assault weapons and high-capacity magazines are not the most frequently used kinds of weapons in mass-shootings, when they are used, they end up causing significantly more casualties and carnage, an average of 8.3 deaths as opposed to an average of 5.4 deaths.

This can be countered with:

The average number of people killed in mass shootings when stopped by police is 14.29

The average number of people killed in a mass shooting when stopped by a civilian is 2.33

If he was truly serious about decreasing the death toll in mass shootings, he would be working for less onerous requirements for a carry permit.

Wearing out shoe leather is what wins elections. Go get him!

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    He needs to beat Matthews and Trone first. Is he the party selection?

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    I'm actually thinking more of black/grey propaganda, rather than "White".

"Maryland’s law requires that all guns be processed through licensed dealers who must conduct a thorough background check on buyers. This requirement closes the gun-show loophole."

"The law also bans military-style assault weapons, which are used neither for hunting nor self-defense but for massacring human beings, and it limits magazines to 10 rounds of ammunition."

Cash and Carry AR-15 HBARS and out of state purchased magazines anyone?

I can't win by saying guns are great in Montgomery, but I can show how incompetent and duplicitous he is.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I'm working under a significant set of restrictions here; as I'm deaf/hard of hearing and can't really do good rhetoric in person.

Do you use ASL or other sign? If so, find yourself an interpreter who's good at voicing. Not all of them are, but there are some out there who really enjoy it. That in itself could make a powerful statement - the fact that you care enough to come and speak through an interpreter would say volumes. I don't know what the ADA says about who would have to provide an interpreter (you, or the gov't) for something like providing testimony, but it might be worth looking in to.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Just what we need in Congress

Another minion ...

Attachments

• Jamie Minion.JPG
      Jamie Minion.JPG
      11.9 KB · Views: 1,481

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Do you use ASL or other sign? If so, find yourself an interpreter who's good at voicing. Not all of them are, but there are some out there who really enjoy it. That in itself could make a powerful statement - the fact that you care enough to come and speak through an interpreter would say volumes. I don't know what the ADA says about who would have to provide an interpreter (you, or the gov't) for something like providing testimony, but it might be worth looking in to.

Would be interesting to know who foots the bill for testimony. I know in my office we eat the bill. We have to pay a minimum, think it's two hours even tho the appt is only 15-20 min. I think we get some deal but still costs more than we get for the appt.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Would be interesting to know who foots the bill for testimony.

My wife will know. She's an interpreter. I'll ask her later. I know in certain circumstances the ADA requires that an interpreter be provided - I believe the wording is centered around "equal access" but I don't know the specifics.

With some very brief research, government entities are "title II" entities under the ADA and MUST provide services to allow everyone to communicate equally and to participate equally. I think an argument could be made that since hearing people can give spoken testimony to a government panel that Deaf people should be allowed to do the same - written testimony often does not carry the same emotional weight as spoken.

I do know that there is certain very specific training that interpreters have to take (above and beyond any national certifications) in order to interpret in legal settings like court, etc.

I know in my office we eat the bill. We have to pay a minimum, think it's two hours even tho the appt is only 15-20 min. I think we get some deal but still costs more than we get for the appt.

Yeah, the two hour thing is likely set by whoever you have your contract with. All of the big agencies will have that clause, and many independent interpreters (like my wife!) will also. FWIW, you may want to have your firm (I don't know what you do) look in to contracting with a private freelance interpreter for those services. When you pay one of the big agencies, they'll often charge a couple hundred an hour, and the interpreter gets maybe $40 or $50 an hour. A private 'terp might charge you less than half of the $200, because they're getting all of it. My wife's rates are well less than that. She still does a two hour minimum though, because if she signs on for a 15 minute, or half hour, or hour job or whatever, it's going to take her another x amount of travel time and other overhead to get there, and it's not going to be worth her time otherwise.

OP, sorry to derail your thread.

I still really think you should look in to finding a good interpreter. My wife is awesome (yes, I'm biased, but she's REALLY good at her job) and she likes voicing a lot, but she's not real big on guns at all.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

The Govt (all levels) is required to provide you with an interpreter at no cost to you at Govt meetings. Anywhere else, YMMV.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Thanks for the link.

Trone's as bad 2A-wise as Raskin is. What happens if Raskin does not win? Does he still keep his MD Senate seat?

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    But it sends him a VERY pointed telegram if he loses... :D

Yeah, but in return we get stuck with his punk-ass in the GA a while longer. No doubt he'll push the anti-2A BS more... I'm pretty torn...it's like deciding whether to transfer a low performer to another department as to make it not your problem anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom