• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Thanks, it cost $200. He called and said he had to stop at a matte finish (200 grit). There was too much pitting around the serial number and he didn't want to lose it. Really happy with their detail and quality.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It's an interesting contrast between the matte finish of the blueing and the glossy shine of the stock - it's not a true restoration, but rather more of a custom refinish, but at the same time, I like it, which says nothing about the fact that it's light-years ahead of what it had been sadly turned into before you got it.

You did a fine thing, good sir! :thumbsup:

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Thank you gents. I appreciate that. Here's another full pic before I get a nice one outside with good lighting.
    I admit I was looking forward toa mirror polish bluing, and when he called and said he could not get it without erasing the serial number I was bummed. However, I'm not disappointed with how it turned out!

Attachments

• IMG_0801.jpg
      IMG_0801.jpg
      79.2 KB · Views: 117
    Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Thank you gents. I appreciate that. Here's another full pic before I get a nice one outside with good lighting.
    I admit I was looking forward toa mirror polish bluing, and when he called and said he could get it without erasing the serial number I was bummed. However, I'm not disappointed with how it turned out!
    Ah - I thought maybe you actually wanted it to be a matte finish. Well, the cool thing is that with the oiled, rather than poly, finished stock, the matte finish really does work well. Besides, it's not like this was a refinish on an early production Winchester or something - this is cleaning up and fixing what will be a working gun that you'll proudly carry into the field - I know I would. I'm an 870 guy (rather than being a Mossy guy) and my shotgun of choice, even amidst all of the new inertia operated semi-autos and everything else, is my plain old dime-a-dozen 2.75" Remington 870 pump 12 gauge.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Ah - I thought maybe you actually wanted it to be a matte finish. Well, the cool thing is that with the oiled, rather than poly, finished stock, the matte finish really does work well. Besides, it's not like this was a refinish on an early production Winchester or something - this is cleaning up and fixing what will be a working gun that you'll proudly carry into the field - I know I would. I'm an 870 guy (rather than being a Mossy guy) and my shotgun of choice, even amidst all of the new inertia operated semi-autos and everything else, is my plain old dime-a-dozen 2.75" Remington 870 pump 12 gauge.

Exactly correct! When you oil the matte finish up, it kind of shines a bit. I think it's going to grow on me. The really cool thing about this bluing company is I sent them the bolt and trigger assembly with a note that said give me a call if you can do anything with them. They polished the bolt, disassembled the trigger assembly and cerakoted and baked, and ploished the workings of the assembly.
    No charge.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm digging on the oil finish on the stock. It looks SO much nicer than the original polyurethane. I tend to be a bit old school when it comes to guns, and an oil finish on walnut is right up my alley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom